Charcoal Question

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
Deepsouth
GURU
GURU
Location: where the Mason-Dixon line is considered the far north

Re: Charcoal Question

Postby Deepsouth » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:46 pm

Alan probably threw some salami in it and called it steak. Slackers are also cheap.
0 x
I don't plant taters and I don't plant cotton but I keep rolling along.

Hook
GURU
GURU

Postby Hook » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:47 pm

Just put them in a George foreman grill. No need to reinvent the wheel
0 x

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:53 pm

Throw this twist on it. I have a friend that swears by it. He also likes a Pittsburgh sear on his too.
Google this, redneck sous vide
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:01 pm

I've seen that Jed but have not tried it. I actually like a cold red center .
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

highgrit
GURU
GURU

Postby highgrit » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:06 pm

If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I wouldn't believe it. You sure ain't got to share your steak with anyone.
0 x
" not all muslims are terrorist, but all the terrorist were muslim "

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:51 pm

You can keep your George Foreman Hook. I guess anything would be suitable for that tough Florida beef. Just couldn't disrespect my beef in such a way.

First run with some Imabalancer beef. Beautiful. The sear was perfect. A bottle of fox grape wine, fresh spinach salad, wilted kale, sauteed mushrooms and onions and country fries. It can't get much better than this. Steak as steak should be done. I'm pleased.

0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:56 pm

M-5 wrote:I've seen that Jed but have not tried it. I actually like a cold red center .

You can cook at what ever temp you want it at. I like the center warm enough to stay warm while I'm eating but that's all.
Jo that stake looks great, when I get back to S GA. I'm coming to see you.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:07 pm

Come on down and we'll give it a go. Won't take but a minute or two and you'll be eating. From what I've read the sear is critical to cooking a steak right. Am pleased to learn this is true because I'd have hated to waste $4 on scrap metal for nothing.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Postby hillsdown » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:14 pm

Nice job on the grill Jo!!

That steak looks perfect :tiphat:
0 x
HD

{No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having the love of a dog makes you rich.
Louis Sabin}

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:32 pm

I have been having nose bleeds all day and couldn't figure out why until I opened this thread. :lol: Deepshy..... Ah south, I am a slacker and proud of it, I've been honing that skill for years, but just to educate you boys from the south and S.E. of the south, you know that flat skinny state that is full of sand. Here in the Wild West we call that thing Joe built a Bar-b-que, I just call it a grill so not to confuse you boys. For the record I would never put a steak in my new pizza cooker. I prefer a good tenderloin topped with pepperoni, crushed Cheetos and strawberries cooked in the microwave for 15 minutes. :lol: :lol:

Wanda, their making fun of my new toy, one of the best things I ever bought for $28.
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:34 am

Alan wrote:Wanda, their making fun of my new toy, one of the best things I ever bought for $28.

Not poking fun at all just stating the obvious. Just go ahead and admit you've run a steak through the contraption. You know you have. We just want to know what kind of sear it put on it.
0 x

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:39 am

Jo, be careful of the thoughts you put in my head, I may even post pics. :lol:
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

Deepsouth
GURU
GURU
Location: where the Mason-Dixon line is considered the far north

Postby Deepsouth » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:43 am

Please don't provoke him Jo. I'm not going to show you the picture of him in his game day outfit. It will burn your eyes.
0 x
I don't plant taters and I don't plant cotton but I keep rolling along.

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:57 am

Deepsouth wrote:Please don't provoke him Jo. I'm not going to show you the picture of him in his game day outfit. It will burn your eyes.

:lol: :lol: DP in full disclosure I have asked Macon to ban you for life if you ever post that pic again! :hide: :hide:
0 x

MO_cows
GURU
GURU

Postby MO_cows » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:17 pm

Jo I don't think you are gonna get a patent for the Steak-n-ater. In fact I hope you don't get slapped with a cease and desist from whoever already holds the patent on the "park grill". http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/141580157805

Congrats, you have re-invented the wheel! :banana:

That steak dinner plate looked awesome. If you want to get the full use out of your charcoal, put sliced taters with some onion, seasoning, butter in a foil packet for each person and slap those on the grill. When they are about done, move them off the hot part and throw on your steaks.
0 x
It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with the simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
Laura Ingalls Wilder

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”