Charcoal Question

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
M-5
GURU
GURU

Re: Charcoal Question

Postby M-5 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:20 pm

MO_cows wrote:Jo I don't think you are gonna get a patent for the Steak-n-ater. In fact I hope you don't get slapped with a cease and desist from whoever already holds the patent on the "park grill". http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/141580157805

Congrats, you have re-invented the wheel! :banana:

That steak dinner plate looked awesome. If you want to get the full use out of your charcoal, put sliced taters with some onion, seasoning, butter in a foil packet for each person and slap those on the grill. When they are about done, move them off the hot part and throw on your steaks.

MO,Im glad you pointed this out I did not have the heart to tell him I've used one just like his several times over the years. all the state parks have them. Im curious if he didn't barrow one and made a new grate out of expanded metal just to call it his own
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:19 pm

Just what I was worried about. Someone's gone and stole my design and trying to rip people off by charging an exorbitant amount of money for a knock-off poor quality imitation of the Steak-n-Ater! I have $4 in mine and look at what they are charging $140! Thieves. What can I say.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Postby hillsdown » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:21 pm

Alan wrote:
Wanda, their making fun of my new toy, one of the best things I ever bought for $28.

Actually I am really curious if you tried steak on it yet too! Have you? :lol: :lol2:

If you haven't, here is a tip, don't! My dad came up with that bright idea with theirs and it does not work at all. :yuck:
0 x
HD

{No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having the love of a dog makes you rich.
Louis Sabin}

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:36 pm

hillsdown wrote:
Alan wrote:
Wanda, their making fun of my new toy, one of the best things I ever bought for $28.

Actually I am really curious if you tried steak on it yet too! Have you? :lol: :lol2:

If you haven't, here is a tip, don't! My dad came up with that bright idea with theirs and it does not work at all. :yuck:

:lol2: :lol2: I think I'd like your dad HD. Man not scared of experimenting. I know if I had one I would have already run a steak on it myself because its all about the sear and you'd think .... well we now know it doesn't work. :lol2:
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Postby hillsdown » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:33 pm

Jogeephus wrote:
hillsdown wrote:
Alan wrote:

:lol2: :lol2: I think I'd like your dad HD. Man not scared of experimenting. I know if I had one I would have already run a steak on it myself because its all about the sear and you'd think .... well we now know it doesn't work. :lol2:

I know right and that is why he wanted to try it. I wonder if something like a schnitzel would work on it because it is breaded and thinner.

I really like your new grill Jo! :D

I bought hubby a big fancy BBQ a few years ago and he hates it for doing steaks. Even though you can get it to 600 or hotter, every time you lift the lid to check it loses way too much heat because of the size. One of our all time favorite things to do steaks on besides a grill over a fire pit was the hibachi, you could get that thing screaming hot and it would sear a steak to perfection.
0 x
HD

{No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having the love of a dog makes you rich.
Louis Sabin}

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:00 pm

Thanks HD, nothing but some scrap put to use but I've been wanting something to cooks steaks with and now I have it.

HD, in my quest I found a website a guy put together just on cooking steaks. Never knew there was so much info on just searing a steak. He even offered if I sent him some information on the design of the grill to run it through a computer program he had to calculate the exact distance needed for the 700F. This is why I think the Hibachis do so well. The one's I've seen have grates so close to the coals plus the metal is thick and will hold heat. The guy said as a rule of thumb 3.5 inches is a good average for most grills and this is what I used. His estimate was only off 23F so he was pretty darn close. Had another try today using more venison. Excellence again and hopefully it shows consistency.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:48 am

hillsdown wrote:
Alan wrote:

In a pinch, if it's freezing cold outside, or pouring down rain, and hailing bobcats, you can "grill" a steak on an elec waffle maker.

(of course, in the same 'pinch' a propane or acetylene torch will get ya by but the acet leaves a "unique" taste... )
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Commercialfarmer
GURU
GURU

Postby Commercialfarmer » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:48 pm

Is charcoal preference because of the flavoring of the smoke or is it about heat?

I was looking at an old charcoal smoker made of 20 inch discs welded to a heavy steal barrel. My understanding is that the heavy metal is better for heat control, so this set up looks like a good place to start. Thinking of converting it into a gas grill for the sake of convenience and consistency of heat. Figured I could add some chips for flavoring. What do the BBQ gurus have to say about this?

Was thinking I might weld a box below connected through a pipe to create a combination grill/smoker. Bad idea?
0 x
X

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:58 am

For steaks I think the sear if critical. Choice of charcoal can matter but sear is paramount IMO.

I like your idea about the combo deal. Built one of these myself but in time I found its one of those you can't have your cake and eat it too type deals. Something suffers. I now have a unique setup for whatever it is I'm doing. For steaks, I just don't think you can beat having the grill 3 inches off the coals. For other things the fire might be as far as six feet. Just depends on what I'm doing but the combo served me well for several years and even today I'm always looking for some better way.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:12 am

Jogeephus wrote:You can keep your George Foreman Hook. I guess anything would be suitable for that tough Florida beef. Just couldn't disrespect my beef in such a way.

First run with some Imabalancer beef. Beautiful. The sear was perfect. A bottle of fox grape wine, fresh spinach salad, wilted kale, sauteed mushrooms and onions and country fries. It can't get much better than this. Steak as steak should be done. I'm pleased.

What's all that green crap on the plate. Did a bunch of leaves fall off a sycamore tree onto the plate right before you snapped the picture?

Distance is certainly relevant imo, but been my own experience, that most people just use way too much charcoal when they are tryin to grill a steak. You look to have it about right in the pic with just a few briquettes. A nice sear is important for both taste and visual presentation, but folks that put a 1/8"-1/4" crunchy layer of carbon all over the steak are missing the point.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

fenceman
GURU
GURU

Postby fenceman » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:56 pm

Steak_n_ater deluxe model
0 x
You can all go to he//.
I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”