Low Temp Pasteurization Canning

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Low Temp Pasteurization Canning

Postby Jogeephus » Mon May 18, 2015 12:14 pm

ga.prime wrote:Thanks, man. Those are some good ideas but outside the realm of my capabilities unfortunately.

Mine too but I think I could pull off the cold pack like Chippie is saying. So is Claussen's sole in the cooler? Never had one so I don't know.

From what I gather this Low Temp Pasteurization is the closest you can get to cold pack and it be shelf stable. Haven't messed with it before but am interested in getting something closer to fresh.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

wlamarparmer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby wlamarparmer » Mon May 18, 2015 1:53 pm

logged in twice attempted post, when hit submit = must be logged in to reply.
Has happened before, today I give up. 5-7 min response gone in cyberspace not fun
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Mon May 18, 2015 2:34 pm

Jogeephus wrote:
ga.prime wrote:Thanks, man. Those are some good ideas but outside the realm of my capabilities unfortunately.

Mine too but I think I could pull off the cold pack like Chippie is saying. So is Claussen's sole in the cooler? Never had one so I don't know.

From what I gather this Low Temp Pasteurization is the closest you can get to cold pack and it be shelf stable. Haven't messed with it before but am interested in getting something closer to fresh.

Yes, Claussen's is sold in the refrigerated section usually near the luncheon meats. Get a jar and try 'em out. I like the whole ones best.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

wlamarparmer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby wlamarparmer » Mon May 18, 2015 2:35 pm

Jo,
Not issue You're addressing, but my early life my Mom & Grandmothers used what they called cold pack canning for all spring vegetables. Green beans, garden peas, cabbage, were blanched and canned in hot water bath. Pickles and relishes done same.
Summer vegetables done pressure and temperature. Family goal prior to "home freezers" was minimum 1000 units vegetables and soup base in pantry.
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Mon May 18, 2015 2:36 pm

chippie wrote:Pickles can take up to 6 weeks to ripen after being canned. Sometimes it is really hard to wait.

Claussen's is a refrigerator pickle. Here is a copycat recipe. http://www.food.com/recipe/claussen-kos ... cat-249520

I have another refrigerator pickle recipe that has onion rings in it. the onions are so good on a sandwich. I'll see if I can it. I like the refrigerator pickles. They are so much easier to make, but they don't keep as long.

Thanks, chippie. That looks like something I could do. If it's no trouble, post that recipe with the onions in it if you find it. Sounds good!
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Mon May 18, 2015 3:17 pm

wlamarparmer wrote:Jo,
Not issue You're addressing, but my early life my Mom & Grandmothers used what they called cold pack canning for all spring vegetables. Green beans, garden peas, cabbage, were blanched and canned in hot water bath. Pickles and relishes done same.
Summer vegetables done pressure and temperature. Family goal prior to "home freezers" was minimum 1000 units vegetables and soup base in pantry.

I'll do the pickles and relishes and the more acid things in hot water bath but haven't done green beans. I'll pressure can those. I try to raise all our food and prefer to freeze as little as possible but I still end up freezing a lot. Freezing so easy but its not as convenient later if your freezers are arranged like ours. :oops: :lol:
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Mon May 18, 2015 3:27 pm

Thanks Chippie, I'll give that a try too.
0 x

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”