A new drink??

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
houstoncutter
GURU
GURU

Re: A new drink??

Postby houstoncutter » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:27 am

Ouachita wrote:
houstoncutter wrote:
houstoncutter wrote:No respectable redneck would be caught drinking martini's

Its beer or shine not shaken or stirred

I will not argue that HC. My definition of a mixed drink is bourbon or shine mixed with ice cubes. The only other mixed drink I have personally ask for is a margarita. This was all new to me because I wanted to entertain some guests, and wanted to make sure I was stocked up for whomever and whatever. My wife likes Long Island Iced Tea, but neither of us knew what it took to make it. It just happened that I had an unusually high ratio of gin left over. I guess you could say I was making lemonade. But I wholeheartedly agree with you. Unless I have special request in the future, I will never make that purchase again.
I will admit the finish line was fine. It is gone, solid gone as of a few minutes ago, and we have very thoroughly enjoyed ourselves thus far. Getting ready to hit the hay and see what else may be cached for us.

Well now, any drink that leads to that can't be all bad.... Cheers
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:30 am

I don't know why I'm sharing this? A good friend of mine, he's 46 and been married almost 25 years. He never really was a drinker. Occasionally, a beer drinker. Honestly , just a few times a year. He always said he hated the taste of alcohol. He bought some kind of fruity flavored beer about a year and a half ago. He must have really liked it. He has developed a pretty pronounced drinking problem------his wife has divorced him----------lost his job--------he has moved back in with his mother. He's barely even a shell of the man he once was.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Ouachita
GURU
GURU

Postby Ouachita » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:48 am

Bigfoot wrote:I don't know why I'm sharing this? A good friend of mine, he's 46 and been married almost 25 years. He never really was a drinker. Occasionally, a beer drinker. Honestly , just a few times a year. He always said he hated the taste of alcohol. He bought some kind of fruity flavored beer about a year and a half ago. He must have really liked it. He has developed a pretty pronounced drinking problem------his wife has divorced him----------lost his job--------he has moved back in with his mother. He's barely even a shell of the man he once was.

Bigfoot, you have a very good reason for mentioning this. Alcohol is nothing to play with, although that is how most of us who drink did start out. Alcohol is a drug, and I believe there is a time and place for everything under the sun, but people need to be mindful of how it effects them, not just while drinking or under the influence, but also how often throughout the day or week their mind wanders to the desire.
Me.......I'm a borderline alcoholic; meaning I think half of folks would think yes and half not. I drink almost every evening. But sometimes not for days. Such as beginning last, and likely thru this Friday, I will not drink any, none.
Great post Bigfoot, glad to brought it up.
0 x
If a really diligent man puts all of his energy into the exclusive effort, a molehill can be made into a mountain

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:51 am

Bigfoot wrote:I don't know why I'm sharing this? A good friend of mine, he's 46 and been married almost 25 years. He never really was a drinker. Occasionally, a beer drinker. Honestly , just a few times a year. He always said he hated the taste of alcohol. He bought some kind of fruity flavored beer about a year and a half ago. He must have really liked it. He has developed a pretty pronounced drinking problem------his wife has divorced him----------lost his job--------he has moved back in with his mother. He's barely even a shell of the man he once was.

President of the bank I worded at did the same thing. Very intelligent hard working young man about 30 and started out as a social drinker and ended up drinking over a quart of scotch a day. Finally went and spent about 6 weeks in an alcoholic unit in a state hospita. Got out...got involved with AA and unless he's slipped he's been stone cold sober for about 25 years now. But sure killed off a lot of brain cells before he quit.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:56 am

I really hesitated to post that, he was the only person, that I ever knew of to start drinking late in life. I know a few alcoholics, but they have been at it since they were teenagers. He really got drawn down in a short amount of time to. It actually hasn't been quit a year and half that he started, but he's been nonfunctional since about Christmas. Him and his wife, we're just working people like the rest of us. Had a nice little brick house, and a few acres. Lost it all, even his daughters horses.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

J&D Cattle
GURU
GURU

Postby J&D Cattle » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:13 pm

I'm a high functioning alcoholic. I have a few beers every evening and generally start earlier than that on Sat or Sun. Something comes up every now and then and I'll miss a day and it never bothers me. I don't want one at work and I 99% of the time never even have a buzz just a couple after work. Having an open beer is a habit more than anything. Wife is mildly concerned as her father was a full blown alcoholic so I need to be more sensitive to that. I'm making it a point to cut back starting today actually. (got a pretty good rear chewing last night) I do need to do better and I am aware of the issue. Surely that is a start. I'm not worried about it but love her and my kids so I'll be mindful for their sake.
0 x
J & D Cattle

Ouachita
GURU
GURU

Postby Ouachita » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:44 pm

J&D Cattle wrote:I'm a high functioning alcoholic. I have a few beers every evening and generally start earlier than that on Sat or Sun. Something comes up every now and then and I'll miss a day and it never bothers me. I don't want one at work and I 99% of the time never even have a buzz just a couple after work. Having an open beer is a habit more than anything. Wife is mildly concerned as her father was a full blown alcoholic so I need to be more sensitive to that. I'm making it a point to cut back starting today actually. (got a pretty good rear chewing last night) I do need to do better and I am aware of the issue. Surely that is a start. I'm not worried about it but love her and my kids so I'll be mindful for their sake.

Another good post. Thanks for sharing your situation. If there is a scale of high v. low functioning alcoholics, I would also consider myself a high functioning alcoholic. It's different for everybody and different for those close to us. There is no one size fits all in regards to "rules for people who drink".
It would be a very long story explaining why I started drinking, and why I continue, and they are for different reasons. All things considered, I am a fortunate man in that I can chose to avoid it at any time, and also fortunate that my wife also enjoys a good relaxing drink, therefore understands why I do as well. She's a peach
0 x
If a really diligent man puts all of his energy into the exclusive effort, a molehill can be made into a mountain

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”