A couple of question about pork bellies

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
Alan
GURU
GURU

A couple of question about pork bellies

Postby Alan » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:19 pm

I found a "fairly" local restaurant supply store that stocks pork bellies in the 10 to 12 lb range. They are frozen with skin on. My first thought is making bacon with one. Questions;

1. Any problems or quality concerns with it being frozen and then thawed?

2. Pros and cons with having the skin on?

3. If I get a 10lbs belly can I let it thawed a little then cut it in half and refreeze the other half?

4. At what point do I remove the skin from the belly? Before the cure? After the smoke? After slicing????

Thanks, Alan
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Re: A couple of question about pork bellies

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:43 pm

Alan wrote:I found a "fairly" local restaurant supply store that stocks pork bellies in the 10 to 12 lb range. They are frozen with skin on. My first thought is making bacon with one. Questions;

1. Any problems or quality concerns with it being frozen and then thawed? NO

2. Pros and cons with having the skin on? Depends on how you like your bacon.

3. If I get a 10lbs belly can I let it thawed a little then cut it in half and refreeze the other half? Yes, but why. If you are going to cure it you might as well cure the whole belly then you can freeze the cured product.

4. At what point do I remove the skin from the belly? Before the cure? After the smoke? After slicing???? Either or but much easier to skin it right after you take it from the smoker unless you are really good with a knife.

Thanks, Alan

And Alan, if you will skin it after it comes out the smoker toss it in a pot of water and boil it for about 10 minutes. Scrape whatever fat is on it off then dry the skin. Once dried, cut it up and toss in hot oil and enjoy some puffy pork rinds.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:57 am

Thank you Jo for the complete reply, I'm looking forward to giving a belly a try. One point if you would help clear it up for my fuzzy mind. On thawing and freezing the belly again. Was your instructions to cure the whole belly then divide and freeze half the belly before the smoke? In other words freeze the cured belly before the smoke, to be thawed and smoked at a later date?

Thanks again, as always.

Alan
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:19 am

Alan, if it were me, I would just make the bacon just the way I was going to end up cooking it in the frying pan and slice, package and freeze the portions I don't need at the moment.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:54 am

:lol:
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:01 am

Big seller in the bay area
0 x

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”