Camera lens?

Submit your photo today! You can be the next winner.
millstreaminn
Rancher
Rancher

Camera lens?

Postby millstreaminn » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:42 am

I've got a Nikon D7000 with a 18-200mm lens and a 80-400 mm lens. I am looking to take some pics from about 1 foot or so away. What lens will do that? My 18-200 will not focus down that close. Sorry for the newbie questions, but I am!!! :D
0 x
It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

artesianspringsfarm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Camera lens?

Postby artesianspringsfarm » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:00 pm

Get yourself a 35mm 1.8G for an awesome closeup prime lens. It's one of the best pieces of glass you can get for under $1000, and its only $200. You can get a refurb for less than that. It's a really great lens. Everyone should have a cheap, relatively quick prime lens if they have an SLR.
0 x

millstreaminn
Rancher
Rancher

Postby millstreaminn » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:29 pm

artesianspringsfarm wrote:Get yourself a 35mm 1.8G for an awesome closeup prime lens. It's one of the best pieces of glass you can get for under $1000, and its only $200. You can get a refurb for less than that. It's a really great lens. Everyone should have a cheap, relatively quick prime lens if they have an SLR.

Ok. Thanks- I bought both of these, I will send back whichever one I don't like (or can't figure out how to use)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005C5 ... UTF8&psc=1

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005C50H2Y/re ... UTF8&psc=1
0 x

artesianspringsfarm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby artesianspringsfarm » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:10 pm

That's a nice lens (both links are for the 40mm micro), but it's designed for closeup images only. If that's what you want, flowers, arranged items, food, etc. that's the ticket, at least on a budget. The 105mm Micro is a fair bit nicer, with better image quality, better macro functions, etc. Just like anything, it depends on the application and use.
0 x

millstreaminn
Rancher
Rancher

Postby millstreaminn » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:27 pm

Sorry. The other lens was exactly what you said to get, and it was under 200.00 Try this link.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-35mm-1-8G-D ... n+35mm+1.8
0 x

artesianspringsfarm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby artesianspringsfarm » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:47 pm

Enjoy. If you ever need anything, feel free to shoot me a PM. Cattle are my distraction from my real life, which is running the online presence for one of the top 5 Nikon resellers in the country. Both of those, cattle and cameras, can be amazingly expensive pastimes.
0 x

millstreaminn
Rancher
Rancher

Postby millstreaminn » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:29 pm

artesianspringsfarm wrote:Enjoy. If you ever need anything, feel free to shoot me a PM. Cattle are my distraction from my real life, which is running the online presence for one of the top 5 Nikon resellers in the country. Both of those, cattle and cameras, can be amazingly expensive pastimes.

Thanks. I know. Good thing I have a good job. ;-)
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:23 am

millstreaminn wrote:I've got a Nikon D7000 with a 18-200mm lens and a 80-400 mm lens. I am looking to take some pics from about 1 foot or so away. What lens will do that? My 18-200 will not focus down that close. Sorry for the newbie questions, but I am!!! :D

Been ages since I piddled with photography but use to have a set of "close up" lenses that simply screwed onto the front of the 35mm camera lens. You could take pics of gems almost and best I remember didn't cost much at all. You might google it.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

artesianspringsfarm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby artesianspringsfarm » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:56 pm

TB is actually absolutely right. Get a 3 pack set of Hoya close up filters for the occasional macro shot and they are surprisingly nice on a decent prime lens like the 35 1.8G. I should have mentioned that. Just make sure its a brand that is nice enough that the frame of the filter is metal with good threads. There are some insanely cheap things called "filters" these days. :-)
0 x

Return to “Photo Contest”