Photo contest

Submit your photo today! You can be the next winner.
sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Re: Photo contest

Postby sim.-ang.king » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:28 pm

hillsdown wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Sure wish Mrs. Hillsdown or AlisonB would get this thread back on track.

How about we start up again at the end of calving for me, which should be the middle of February.

That sounds great! Been missing the Photo Contest.
Glad your doing better.

And might I suggest a calf photo contest, for the first?
0 x
Red Bull Breeder wrote:So Queenie works ok now?

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:08 pm

I would love to see the photo contest come back, but your health is so much more important. Bring it back when you're ready!

Alan
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:38 pm

I won't be started calving by then yet, but it sounds good to me... My only request is that the topic for the next contest be posted 2 weeks in advance when possible, 1 week is just a little tight for me to be able to take a decent picture and come to town to upload it.

Clickety clickety!.. looking forward to the pictures again! The picture of my bull in my avatar made it as the cover of the Facebook "Cow talk" group this month :)
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Postby alisonb » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:45 pm

hillsdown wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Sure wish Mrs. Hillsdown or AlisonB would get this thread back on track.

How about we start up again at the end of calving for me, which should be the middle of February.

That sounds like a fine idea True Grit Farms. Alisonb will unfortunately not be able to assist but thankfully Hillsdown looks like she is going to run with it...it should be a breeze for her.
0 x
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!

regolith
GURU
GURU

Postby regolith » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:22 am

alisonb wrote:That sounds like a fine idea True Grit Farms. Alisonb will unfortunately not be able to assist but thankfully Hillsdown looks like she is going to run with it...it should be a breeze for her.

Where have you been all this time and why do you revert to talking about yourself in the third person?

Nesikep's idea is good. With two weeks advance warning the contest could be run a little less often but with more participation.
Will look forward to it if you do restart.
0 x
Stepping backwards and progress are not mutually exclusive

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Postby alisonb » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:58 pm

regolith wrote:Where have you been all this time and why do you revert to talking about yourself in the third person?

Well you see...there is Ali and there is Alisonb, so Ali must have been typing that message :P :lol:

Seriously, it's been awful here. We have had exactly 49mm of rain this whole season and have endured a heatwave with temps in the early 40's. Have had a lot of things to sort out...
0 x
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:50 pm

alisonb wrote:
regolith wrote:Where have you been all this time and why do you revert to talking about yourself in the third person?

Well you see...there is Ali and there is Alisonb, so Ali must have been typing that message :P :lol:

Seriously, it's been awful here. We have had exactly 49mm of rain this whole season and have endured a heatwave with temps in the early 40's. Have had a lot of things to sort out...

I feel for you. That's how it was here last June to October. High temps were a few degrees cooler but that really didn't make a whole lot of difference. Our saving grace was we had 30 inches going into the drought and got 30 inches coming out of it. Best of luck to you.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

regolith
GURU
GURU

Postby regolith » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:57 pm

I see. Quite bad enough here and we've had about that much rain in the last six or eight weeks, probably - this area missed out on the last two chances of rain and now trying to sell cows asap. Just thankful that since nearly everyone else got rain, someone somewhere will be able to feed them.
Good luck to you.
0 x

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Postby alisonb » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:59 am

We had 2 inches of soft soaking rain this morning and more is forecast for the week ahead. Vette, you know the feeling, one is almost too scared to smile somehow ;-) . In 1988 we had flooding here and recorded about 20 inches over a couple of days - our annual rainfall is 20 inches... so it is difficult to comprehend 30 inches :shock: . Does the soil there take in all that rain or is there a lot of run off? I'm really glad for you.
Ouch Rego, that's lousy. Hope you get some verrry soon.
0 x

regolith
GURU
GURU

Postby regolith » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:44 pm

Some forecast for today, but half it was supposed to arrive last night and we got less than 1 ml.
It sure isn't funny. The current milk price just doesn't justify buying in feed to milk off, and they're all still in milk so far.
We normally get more like 40 in a year, but it all fell in June and July probably, didn't leave anything over for summer.
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:48 pm

alisonb wrote:We had 2 inches of soft soaking rain this morning and more is forecast for the week ahead. Vette, you know the feeling, one is almost too scared to smile somehow ;-) . In 1988 we had flooding here and recorded about 20 inches over a couple of days - our annual rainfall is 20 inches... so it is difficult to comprehend 30 inches :shock: . Does the soil there take in all that rain or is there a lot of run off? I'm really glad for you.
Ouch Rego, that's lousy. Hope you get some verrry soon.

Average yearly is around 38 inches. We are on the blackland prairie. It's a heavy soil so when it is dry it cracks open which does help take in a deluge if you get one. This fall it took 4 1/2 inches in three hours without any runoff. After that, unless it is a light drizzle, most of it heads downstream.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Postby alisonb » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:29 pm

I get the picture...thanks!
0 x

Return to “Photo Contest”