Hey Texans - Whatever happened with Twin Peaks?

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
fenceman
GURU
GURU

Re: Hey Texans - Whatever happened with Twin Peaks?

Postby fenceman » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:02 am

Tb I think I 've got a another example. I was stopped several years ago in lampasas , you know south of town on183. The speed limit goes from 45 to 35 to 45 in a few hundred yards. I was admittedly distracted talking to my son and was stopped for being slightly over the limit.
I was also pulling a empty tumbelbug. The trooper ask about the lack of plates and lights.
I told him it's a hay trailer their not required. He became angry and wrote me tickets for both offenses.
Now I was fortunate. In lampasas county you call judge Garcia and usually he answers the phone. I told him I would gladly pay the speeding ticket (the only one I've ever got)but the others I didn't feel I had broke the laws.
He agreed, but still having to adhere to due process I was required to take him a photo of the trailer and he dismissed the tickets.
You can bet if I had received the tickets in a bigger city, I would have had to spend at least a day fighting the tickets because of the troopers ignorance.
That's my point. Leo needs to be expected to do things properly, just like any professional.
Not to use their powers to simply sweep people up and let the courts filter the good from the bad.
0 x
You can all go to he//.
I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:07 am

I've had the same deal. It still cost like $50 for processing. Really, $50 to fix their screw up. I think that officer should be fined the $50. Maybe he will think before he starts writing next time.

The whole city of Houston use to, don't think they still do, arrest you for carrying a loaded gun in the car after the castle law came out. They would haul you in, press charges, and put you in jail for doing some thing perfectly legal. They flat out said they know that carrying is legal, and that their charges will not hold up, but they still want to put the gun owners through the hassle of fighting the charges for carrying in the town. How about that TB? Their cops were going along with the too.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:23 pm

Brute 23 wrote:I've had the same deal. It still cost like $50 for processing. Really, $50 to fix their screw up. I think that officer should be fined the $50. Maybe he will think before he starts writing next time.

The whole city of Houston use to, don't think they still do, arrest you for carrying a loaded gun in the car after the castle law came out. They would haul you in, press charges, and put you in jail for doing some thing perfectly legal. They flat out said they know that carrying is legal, and that their charges will not hold up, but they still want to put the gun owners through the hassle of fighting the charges for carrying in the town. How about that TB? Their cops were going along with the too.

Houston issue not even close to being similar. 9 murders and dozens wounded and a huge number of weapons confiscated is a bit more serious. If they decide any of this was illegal or unconstitutional I"m sure the "innocent" will file their law suits as I mentioned earlier.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:09 am

It's all the same mentality with law enforcement. They use arresting people to push their own agendas, as leverage.

You think they aren't trying to suck info out of all those Waco people they arrested. That's why they blanket arrest people.

My brother and I got stopped when we were younger "they" flagged us for having what "they" consider an excessive amount of guns. I had a friend get arrested about a year later and a gung-ho detective tried to cut a deal with him in exchange for info on my family.

Two young 20 some things... shot 4H, competive skeet, trap, ect, hunt... they flag us then try to take advantage of another person to get info.

TB, do you honestly think that is what our law enforcement system was designed for? Do you feel safer... I dont.

I am not saying that all law enforcement is bad. There are good officers, I know them too. The system is broken and the good guys are being out numbered.

... and when they hand out laptops at school. Ask you self if you trust your school officials knowing every move your family makes. They are watching them... and you. It just happened in major school district. Cops and administrators pulling a kids laptop up to track the kid and it's parents.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:34 am

I know I probably sound crazy but between having guns pulled on me, cops treating me like a criminal at every turn, harassing my friend for knowing me... my faith in the system in gone. Just for the few years I have been around I have seen cops abuse their power to much already. I have at least a dozen more stories of people being harassed and physically abused by cops. It's too much already.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:29 am

I don't know you Brute, you seem to be a fine fella, but there also seems to be a real pattern here and the common denominator might be you and not the police since it's not the same officer in every instance.

My son went through a spell of run ins with the law and on one occasion I was called to come intervene BEFORE they were going to take him into custody. I was able to have him remanded to my care but in all honesty had I been one of the officers at the scene I'd have split his head wide open and have sworn he fell down due to his belligerent attitude and disrespectful attitude.

Just a thought.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:21 am

Well the Tequesta Florida cops hassled my son and a friend when they were 19-20 for no reason. The cops questioned them about drugs and drinking called backup, searched the truck without a warrant. And turned them loose after 1 1/2 with no apologies for wasting the kids time. Two of the five officers received a written reprimand, and sensitivity training because of this incident. But that's just because my wife and I pushed the issue and knew a few folks. Hopefully it has made a difference in the way the Tequesta cops do their job.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

fenceman
GURU
GURU

Postby fenceman » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:26 am

Most officers are good, well intending people.
That's not the point. They should be held accountable enough to be concerned about making mistakes, even the little ones.
Their little mistakes can be a very big deal to the citizens they happen to.
To say that you can simply file a lawsuit if you're done wrong is ridiculous and a lot of what's wrong in the world today. I'll guarantee you that you can't find a customer dissatisfied customer of mine that I've told to "take it to court".
You expect accountability and competent work from all professions. Should expect the same from those payed by the taxpayer.

Hope you got that boy on the right path tux. Our youngest went down a bad road, I wouldn't wish that he'll and heartache on anyone.
0 x
You can all go to he//.
I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:29 am

I'm not your son, have never been arrested, or even stepped foot in a jail
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:22 pm

I want to be clear that I am not anti-cop. Quite the opposite in fact.

I've ranted about the school system and teachers before also but I believe school teachers, law enforcement, and our military all kind of fall in the same category. The don't get trained properly, the don't get compensated properly, and they don't get appreciated and put as a top priority.... the way they should. That is leading to us, as a country, not getting the number of quality people we need for those invaluable positions.

Walking the line between dealing with true criminals and law abiding citizens literally seconds, minutes or days apart, is very tough. That is not a job for the average person. You have to be extremely mentally strong to balance that day in and day out.

Education, enforcement of laws, and defense are extremely important to our future but yet those people take the back burner to spade and neuter or grocery bag initiatives. The priorities of our government, and the people, are screwed up. When we are building huge pet shelters while are VA hospitals are junk... what is going on? There should be lines of people wanting those jobs because of how well they are treated. We should have the pick of the cream of the crop.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:36 pm

Brute 23 wrote:I'm not your son, have never been arrested, or even stepped foot in a jail

Good.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:39 pm

fenceman wrote:Most officers are good, well intending people.
That's not the point. They should be held accountable enough to be concerned about making mistakes, even the little ones.
Their little mistakes can be a very big deal to the citizens they happen to.
To say that you can simply file a lawsuit if you're done wrong is ridiculous and a lot of what's wrong in the world today. I'll guarantee you that you can't find a customer dissatisfied customer of mine that I've told to "take it to court".
You expect accountability and competent work from all professions. Should expect the same from those payed by the taxpayer.

Hope you got that boy on the right path tux. Our youngest went down a bad road, I wouldn't wish that he'll and heartache on anyone.

He's fine, this was several years ago and he's matured quite a bit. I' have empathy for your situation.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:42 pm

I read lots of cop bashing on this forum and frankly it disgusts me. I don't have an axe to grind and don't even have any law enforcement officers in my family. I was just raised to respect authority.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:58 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:I read lots of cop bashing on this forum and frankly it disgusts me. I don't have an axe to grind and don't even have any law enforcement officers in my family. I was just raised to respect authority.

You only hear about the negatives, and that's really a shame. With that being said I feel like the city cops are alot more disrespectful than the country cops.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:21 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:I read lots of cop bashing on this forum and frankly it disgusts me. I don't have an axe to grind and don't even have any law enforcement officers in my family. I was just raised to respect authority.

Remember that next time you disagree with me.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”