Carpenter Bees

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
dun
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Carpenter Bees

Postby dun » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:28 pm

LRTX1 wrote:
M-5 wrote:The traps work. 18000 holes is a lot to caulk up. Yall don't have dirt daubers????? them little basterds around here will evict the bee and pack mud in hole over night.

No kidding, I can lay an air tool down only to come back to it in a few minutes and they clogged the fitting. Maybe not that fast but it seems like it.

Yeah, sometimes seems like it happens between trigger pulls
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

mooo
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby mooo » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:26 pm

the traps do work got one or so on my place only i use two liter pop jug !holds more dont get in hurry to open them they may not move ,but as soon as you shake em a little unscrewing the botle is not a good time to find out there not all dead !
0 x

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:30 pm

How do you catch the queen to put in the trap?
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:01 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:Check with your local chemical dealer. Ask for Tempo SC. Around $55 for a bottle. I mix one bottle to 25 gallons in an ATV tank. Spray my barn and my house. Works wonders.

PS. Don't spray your cricket box. It has a very good residual.

Works on dirt daubers too. And spiders, and wasps, and roaches, and the list goes on. Try it. I promise you won't believe the results. Spray in April and October.
0 x
"You don't have to be a genius to be successful. Just surround yourself with smart people. And LISTEN to them" C.M.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:29 pm

dun wrote:
TCRanch wrote:Hate them! I have one of those bug zappers that looks like a tennis racket - it's my guilty, somewhat sadistic pleasure. I believe there is an old thread about carpenter bees (maybe referred to as wood bees); someone made their own trap & evidently it worked great but the key is to catch a female - although I have no clue how you would tell the difference.

If it has a telephone stuck in its ear its a female. A beer in its hand it's a male

Makes perfect sense :lol:
0 x

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:56 am

How about the leaf cutter bees and what ever it is that stuffs a hose full of grass. Also some have to be pretty small as they will stop up 1/8 hole in a pieces of equipment setting in the shop.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:40 pm

TCRanch wrote:Hate them! I have one of those bug zappers that looks like a tennis racket - it's my guilty, somewhat sadistic pleasure. I believe there is an old thread about carpenter bees (maybe referred to as wood bees); someone made their own trap & evidently it worked great but the key is to catch a female - although I have no clue how you would tell the difference.

Female carpenter bee has a black face the male has the white dot on its forehead. BTW - the female can sting the male can't so be sure the female is dead before picking her up. I use a badmitten racket to catch mine.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:28 am

Jogeephus wrote:
HDRider wrote:
M-5 wrote:Google bee traps, easy to make and they work

I looked at them. They seemed pretty hokey. The idea they'd choose the trap over the 18,000 holes they have seemed too far fetched.

You need to bait the trap. Kill a female and place in the container and it will fill with others.

This is all I use and works well. I put the female inside the trap and now the trap is filled all the way to the first line and more are trapped each week.

This was helpful to us last year on the earlier thread. We had several ready to go this year and have caught a bunch of bees (not all, I'm sure). Didn't know you had to get a female--we just hung them and walked away. Nice fresh wood helps I think???
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:48 pm

Boondocks, you don't have to get a female and actually any will work better than nothing but if you do use a female I think you will see the number you catch will increase fourfold. Mine does anyway. I think the reason is most of the fliers are males looking to breed.

Another thing I've noticed is just what you said about new wood. I've also found freshening the drill holes at the beginning of the year helps a lot too but I'm not sure if its the smell or its the cleaning of spider webs from the holes. I had one trap that didn't catch anything and I found the holes had webs in them. I cleaned the holes out and the trap went to catching again.

Here is a picture I just took of a trap I baited with a female this year. Don't know how many are in the bottle but its a good many. This is about the average I catch with a female baited trap. Male bait is less than half this.

0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:54 pm

Jogeephus wrote:

Female carpenter bee has a black face the male has the white dot on its forehead. BTW - the female can sting the male can't so be sure the female is dead before picking her up. I use a badmitten racket to catch mine.

I guarantee you I won't be close enough to check out the markings on it's face. You'd be amazed how fast I can run - but thanks for the info :)
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:34 pm

Jogeephus wrote:Female carpenter bee has a black face the male has the white dot on its forehead. BTW - the female can sting the male can't so be sure the female is dead before picking her up. I use a badmitten racket to catch mine.

Used to trap them in Rose of Sharon (Althea) blossoms about a million years ago. No way to tell if they have the white dot on the forehead when your looking at their arse end feeding a blossom. Got stung once or twice doing that.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:33 pm

ga.prime wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:Female carpenter bee has a black face the male has the white dot on its forehead. BTW - the female can sting the male can't so be sure the female is dead before picking her up. I use a badmitten racket to catch mine.

Used to trap them in Rose of Sharon (Althea) blossoms about a million years ago. No way to tell if they have the white dot on the forehead when your looking at their arse end feeding a blossom. Got stung once or twice doing that.

:lol2: I've done the same and learned the lesson first hand myself.
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Wed May 17, 2017 11:33 pm

Jogeephus wrote:Boondocks, you don't have to get a female and actually any will work better than nothing but if you do use a female I think you will see the number you catch will increase fourfold. Mine does anyway. I think the reason is most of the fliers are males looking to breed.

Another thing I've noticed is just what you said about new wood. I've also found freshening the drill holes at the beginning of the year helps a lot too but I'm not sure if its the smell or its the cleaning of spider webs from the holes. I had one trap that didn't catch anything and I found the holes had webs in them. I cleaned the holes out and the trap went to catching again.

Here is a picture I just took of a trap I baited with a female this year. Don't know how many are in the bottle but its a good many. This is about the average I catch with a female baited trap. Male bait is less than half this.

First really hot day and our log house had a carpenter bee convention going on. I dug out this thread and was glad to see we can refresh the holes rather than making all new ones. Do you just drill it out a bit?
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu May 18, 2017 7:52 am

What I do is using the same drill bit I just stick it in the hole and run the drill a little and let it waller about a tiny bit just to scruff up the sides and pull out any spider webs. Almost like sanding the wood if that makes sense.

BTW - this year I never cleaned the bottles out and just left all the bees from last year in them. Earlier in the spring I had a pile of carpenter bees flying around the barn and noticed some live ones in the bottles but didn't pay them much attention. Reading this thread again made me realize I haven't even noticed a carpenter bee in weeks. Don't know if the traps got them all or if they just moved on but they don't seem to be around for some reason and I don't know why. I can't help but wonder if they aren't a little like honey bees and will return to an established nest even if you kill all the bees in the nest. I had this problem with my house and the only way I found to stop them from getting in the house was to stop up the hole they were entering. IF, this is correct I think it would mean your bee traps will become more effective the longer they are in place.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu May 18, 2017 8:29 am

The cypress is tore up on my camp house from the woodpeckers going after the carpenter bees.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”