Opened A New Feed Store

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
TN Cattle Man
GURU
GURU

Re: Opened A New Feed Store

Postby TN Cattle Man » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:35 pm

NECowboy wrote:
TN Cattle Man wrote: I look forward to the day when we can just meet at the farm and have a social visit without all the distractions.

Yeah work is like that especially with a well run business, a little chaotic, that's why I have a secretary that sets appointments so I can focus and help one person to the fullest at a time and I like to get in super early to get the work done without distractions, but something about working with cattle even if they are angry, stressed, bellowing, misbehaving is relaxing and helps me deal better with the chaos at work and put it all into perspective! Chaos at work is good though it means people are calling, stopping in, you're making money!!

Do you have a flyer with weekly, biweekly deals? One of our local hardware stores here does that (but not feed store) and it is fantastic. It builds excitement about current and new products, gets your name out there in front of people on a regular basis, and people always like to feel they got a great deal. An even cheaper way might be to do this with email list - I know I get emails from Orschelns several times a week (but they are a big company) but I know a lot of the older farmers and ranchers around here would not use email so that would only be limited at best.

We are starting several different "marketing" strategies... direct mailings and emails are already being implemented. Social Media has also been a good way to reach a certain target audience (good thing my son is up on that sort of thing). I think a big part of marketing which has been sort of lost, is the old fashion farm gate call. A lot of our bigger producers actually like the fact that we will take the time to visit them on their farms and this gives us that personal approach and relationship building that is sorely lacking in our industry. We have a long way to go, but we will give it our best!!
0 x
As for me and my house... We will Serve the Lord!

NECowboy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby NECowboy » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:37 pm

TN Cattle Man wrote:
NECowboy wrote:
TN Cattle Man wrote: I look forward to the day when we can just meet at the farm and have a social visit without all the distractions.

Yeah work is like that especially with a well run business, a little chaotic, that's why I have a secretary that sets appointments so I can focus and help one person to the fullest at a time and I like to get in super early to get the work done without distractions, but something about working with cattle even if they are angry, stressed, bellowing, misbehaving is relaxing and helps me deal better with the chaos at work and put it all into perspective! Chaos at work is good though it means people are calling, stopping in, you're making money!!

Do you have a flyer with weekly, biweekly deals? One of our local hardware stores here does that (but not feed store) and it is fantastic. It builds excitement about current and new products, gets your name out there in front of people on a regular basis, and people always like to feel they got a great deal. An even cheaper way might be to do this with email list - I know I get emails from Orschelns several times a week (but they are a big company) but I know a lot of the older farmers and ranchers around here would not use email so that would only be limited at best.

We are starting several different "marketing" strategies... direct mailings and emails are already being implemented. Social Media has also been a good way to reach a certain target audience (good thing my son is up on that sort of thing). I think a big part of marketing which has been sort of lost, is the old fashion farm gate call. A lot of our bigger producers actually like the fact that we will take the time to visit them on their farms and this gives us that personal approach and relationship building that is sorely lacking in our industry. We have a long way to go, but we will give it our best!!

Sounds like you are on top of it, best of luck to y'all!!
0 x
"So guess I'll stay right where I'm at, wear my boots and my cowboy hat...I gotta live my life and write my songs beneath these western skies" - Chris LeDoux, Western Skies

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:49 pm

Brian, I wouldn't know you if you walked up. But, I'm fairly certain that, judging from your posts and others posts, with your personality, attitude, work ethic, and other attributes you and your son will turn this venture into a highly successful business :tiphat:
0 x
“It will end with a giant rainbow, passed from the lower bowels of a bipartisan unicorn that snorts pixie dust and expectorates Turkish delight!” - bball

TN Cattle Man
GURU
GURU

Postby TN Cattle Man » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:53 pm

Thanks JMJ Farms...
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:00 pm

TN Cattle Man wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:What kind of pocket knives do you carry? A few Moore Maker knives are on my shopping list.

Haven't decided on what to carry just yet... still investigating all the options. I will check out the Moore Maker brand. Will probably start with the Case knives and grow it from there.

Hard to go wrong with Case knives.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

NECowboy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby NECowboy » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:07 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:Brian, I wouldn't know you if you walked up. But, I'm fairly certain that, judging from your posts and others posts, with your personality, attitude, work ethic, and other attributes you and your son will turn this venture into a highly successful business :tiphat:

And when you become a national chain, be sure to open a store in Nebraska! :cboy:
0 x
"So guess I'll stay right where I'm at, wear my boots and my cowboy hat...I gotta live my life and write my songs beneath these western skies" - Chris LeDoux, Western Skies

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:41 am

Congrats! May all be well with your new venture.
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:26 am

TN Cattle Man wrote:We are starting several different "marketing" strategies... direct mailings and emails are already being implemented. Social Media has also been a good way to reach a certain target audience (good thing my son is up on that sort of thing). I think a big part of marketing which has been sort of lost, is the old fashion farm gate call. A lot of our bigger producers actually like the fact that we will take the time to visit them on their farms and this gives us that personal approach and relationship building that is sorely lacking in our industry. We have a long way to go, but we will give it our best!!

Sounds good with the visit thing. People like to know they are appreciated. Also show up dressed like you're willing to help them do any chore on the farm BUT just snazy enough that they won't ask you to. :mrgreen: I don't know how much good advertising in local paper and/or radio does. Knowing your products, returning phone calls and just making yourself available will be appreciated by most. Some will assume you owe them that. :nod: :nod: :nod:

You'll learn over time as well what inventory moves and what to discontinue especially the stuff in your showroom :nod: . Sometimes it's best to lose a sale than order or stock everything imaginable, sell one and the remainder of the case gets old.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

NECowboy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby NECowboy » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:41 pm

TexasBred wrote:
TN Cattle Man wrote: I think a big part of marketing which has been sort of lost, is the old fashion farm gate call.

Sounds good with the visit thing.

Just don't act like m-5 on your sales call! ;-)
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:09 pm

NECowboy wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
TN Cattle Man wrote: I think a big part of marketing which has been sort of lost, is the old fashion farm gate call.

Sounds good with the visit thing.

M5 lives in his mother's basement and is fragile. Please don't cause him to off the deep end again.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:15 pm

How about a feed mill so the rancher or farmer can use some of their hay or grain in the mix.
0 x

NECowboy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby NECowboy » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:23 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
NECowboy wrote:
TexasBred wrote:Sounds good with the visit thing.

M5 lives in his mother's basement and is fragile. Please don't cause him to off the deep end again.

:lol:
0 x

J&D Cattle
GURU
GURU

Postby J&D Cattle » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:27 pm

One thing that helped a new local feed store here is our local 4-H and FFA Fair/Expo. This gentleman is also a Purina dealer and he sells Honor Show Chow and Supplements to a bunch of local kids. These kids then advertise on their signs what they have been feeding.

Good luck.
0 x
J & D Cattle

TN Cattle Man
GURU
GURU

Postby TN Cattle Man » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:20 pm

J&D Cattle wrote:One thing that helped a new local feed store here is our local 4-H and FFA Fair/Expo. This gentleman is also a Purina dealer and he sells Honor Show Chow and Supplements to a bunch of local kids. These kids then advertise on their signs what they have been feeding.

Good luck.

Yep... we've started down that road ourselves. I am very surprised at what these "Show" people are willing to pay for the Purina Honor Show Chows! It is some really good feed, but man that stuff is pricey!!
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:31 pm

Friend has a feed store and also has an incubator and hatches all sorts of poultry and sells them really cheap....cheap enough a child could buy a couple with their allowance. Or a sucker for a deal like me. You know, I really do have better things to do than visit him each week to buy chicken feed.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”