Slow computer repair?

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
tom4018
GURU
GURU

Slow computer repair?

Postby tom4018 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:15 am

Any suggestions on fixing a slow desktop? Windows 7 about 5 years old. Ran CCleaner, Spyware removers, Antivirus and anything else I can think of. Sometimes when you try to start a program you just get a spinning circle and it takes a while to open if it ever does open. A shutdown and restart helps slightly but only for a short period. Seeing it did not come with a Windows disc it looks like only way to reinstall is to buy one, repair disc does not work that I made. Tried a restore but it only has a recent point to go back to. Any suggestions?
0 x

Alan
GURU
GURU

Re: Slow computer repair?

Postby Alan » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:22 am

Have you ran a defrag?
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:27 am

Clearing cache and history can also help. My brother re-formats his on occasion when his gets wonky, but I don't have a clue what's involved.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

tom4018
GURU
GURU

Postby tom4018 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:31 am

Alan wrote:Have you ran a defrag?

Yes. It seems like it is always doing something in the background.
0 x

tom4018
GURU
GURU

Postby tom4018 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:33 am

slick4591 wrote:Clearing cache and history can also help. My brother re-formats his on occasion when his gets wonky, but I don't have a clue what's involved.

Done all the cleaning I know to do. Can't do a reformat without a Windows disk, guess I could order one off Ebay but hate to put a ton of money in ii.
0 x

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:43 am

You probably have done a google search, but just in case here's 10 tips I found.

http://www.howtogeek.com/228570/10-quic ... indows-pc/
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Postby alisonb » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:32 pm

It could perhaps be a hardware problem. Swollen or blown caps on the motherboard could slow a computer right down.
0 x
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:04 pm

Running a memory hog of a program? Automatic updates that run automatically when you boot up might be a problem too...

You purchase information should have included the keys for reinstalling software.

If you don't have automatic downloads set to specific times, such as 3 am, the machine is probably doing it on boot up. Get several programs doing this at start up and you quickly loose bandwidth and system resources till they finish.

Antivirus, spyware, system tools.....get them running at the same time eats up resources too. i have all this scheduled to happen after midnight so it doesn't happen while I'm trying yo use the computer. I still get caught by microsofts updates from time to time which is a bit of an annoyance.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

wlamarparmer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby wlamarparmer » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:59 pm

Download run Malwarebytes, works for me, usually say no malware found, but 10-12 potential unwanted
programs running. Allow them delete all good for while. free program, I get good results. These just appears
to be advertising programs, but track, log and slow down systems. I run anytime computer seems to slow.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:12 pm

Seeing it did not come with a Windows disc it looks like only way to reinstall is to buy one, repair disc does not work that I made. Any suggestions?

If it came new with Win7, odds are the OS was installed from a separate/hidden recovery partition on the hard drive--and not from a CD, but I won't guarantee that. Few computers or laptops come with a set of discs of any kind for the operating system nowadays.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU

Postby Kingfisher » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:22 pm

Down load what you want to save if you can and re install operating system. Or...go get a new one. 7 year old computer is a dinosaur
0 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:49 pm

Another option, is to start windows in safe mode and run all your antivirus-anti spam-anti spyware from there. Your desktop will look a little different :D but safe mode only allows the loading of most important programs.
The MS instructions say to press and hold down the f8 key, but I've always just tapped f8 several times in quick succession.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... -safe-mode
Should bring up this dialog box:

(oh--and make sure you don't have your AV running when running malwarebytes or other security programs. The 2 apps will fight each other.)
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

tom4018
GURU
GURU

Postby tom4018 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:58 pm

It may be the hard drive, I tried running a disk check and getting an error about a software installation. May have to buy a Windows disc and try reinstalling, if that does not do it may need a hard drive. Opinions on Windows 10?
0 x

tom4018
GURU
GURU

Postby tom4018 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:40 pm

Well after numerous google searches I might have found something. This program found a keylogger. https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdown ... dwcleaner/.

Cleaned it using that program and it has ran more normal for longer than it has before. Time will tell.
0 x

Arkansas
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Arkansas » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:18 am

Sounds like you have backdoor runners.. I would try to wipe the drive and get a fresh new copy if you could afford it or download windows 10 for free and use it.. Only difference is it being free you get a water mark on your screen but you can update it as you need too. The good part is you don't have to pay that high dollar for a factory copy. Plus you can also use the PC code on the hard case of your desktop and upgrade it too a full install. Key-loggers are on almost all PC's if your on the Net at all these days without protection.
0 x
Sorry about my grammar/punctuation, I'm from Arkansas! "Whats your excuse" :) 2B1ASK1

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”