Slow computer repair?

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
tom4018
GURU
GURU

Re: Slow computer repair?

Postby tom4018 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:13 am

Arkansas wrote:Sounds like you have backdoor runners.. I would try to wipe the drive and get a fresh new copy if you could afford it or download windows 10 for free and use it.. Only difference is it being free you get a water mark on your screen but you can update it as you need too. The good part is you don't have to pay that high dollar for a factory copy. Plus you can also use the PC code on the hard case of your desktop and upgrade it too a full install. Key-loggers are on almost all PC's if your on the Net at all these days without protection.

Seems worse again this morning. How can you get Windows 10 for free now? Thought that deal was over. Also wonder if my system can handle it.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:49 am

0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:57 am

I cussed Windows 10 for about 6 months because it was different than 7. Now that I've figured it out I'm okay with it, but 7 still seems better for my purposes.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:00 am

slick4591 wrote:I cussed Windows 10 for about 6 months because it was different than 7. Now that I've figured it out I'm okay with it, but 7 still seems better for my purposes.

I'm still cussing it because it's different then XP. But I cussed XP because it was different than DOS. But any of them are an improvement over CPM
0 x

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:44 am

dun wrote:
slick4591 wrote:I cussed Windows 10 for about 6 months because it was different than 7. Now that I've figured it out I'm okay with it, but 7 still seems better for my purposes.

I'm still cussing it because it's different then XP. But I cussed XP because it was different than DOS. But any of them are an improvement over CPM

I'm still cussing it, I'm still trying to find things I knew well on XP. also it changed some of my printer settings when printing out an email, I can only print them out on "portrait" quality (meaning it uses a bunch more ink) I haven't figured out to change it back so I can chose a "fast draft" setting. But it's only printing an email, I can print a document and it's goes the the setting it suppose to.
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:48 am

Alan, when your print window opens look in preferences to see if you can change. Mines set on normal.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

shaz
GURU
GURU

Postby shaz » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:23 am

alisonb wrote:It could perhaps be a hardware problem. Swollen or blown caps on the motherboard could slow a computer right down.

That will cause a spontaneous reboot not a general slow running condition.
0 x
Grab the bull by the horns.....then what are you supposed to do?

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:29 am

If you happen to be running icloud in the background, that could be a major part of the speed issues. I had to replace my old phone and the only one I could find small enough to fit in my pocket was an iphone se. To upload from the computer I had to install itunes and icloud came with it. Computer kept getting slower and sower. Yesterday I removed icloud from the computer and just like magic, it's back to full speed.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:06 pm

I'm not sure a 7 yr old computer will have the resources to run Windows10. I have w10 on a 3 yr old laptop and like it (once the learning curve was mounted) but overall, still prefer w7.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Postby alisonb » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:06 pm

shaz wrote:
alisonb wrote:It could perhaps be a hardware problem. Swollen or blown caps on the motherboard could slow a computer right down.

Not always ;-)
https://www.technibble.com/forums/threads/please-help-settle-a-debate-for-me-blown-caps.52786/
0 x
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!

shaz
GURU
GURU

Postby shaz » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:12 am

alisonb wrote:
shaz wrote:

Not always ;-)
https://www.technibble.com/forums/threads/please-help-settle-a-debate-for-me-blown-caps.52786/

This is a repair I've done on 5 different PCs in the last 2 years. Same symptom every time. Computer will boot and run for a minute or so and then crash, repeat process.
0 x

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Postby alisonb » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:58 am

Well then Shaz...spose i should bow down to your superior knowledge :mrgreen:
0 x
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein

shaz
GURU
GURU

Postby shaz » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:26 am

alisonb wrote:Well then Shaz...spose i should bow down to your superior knowledge :mrgreen:

Sorry if it came off that way. Not my intention. Peace.
0 x

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Postby alisonb » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:41 am

0 x

ALex4655
Beginner
Beginner

Postby ALex4655 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:16 am

Seems like an issue with the hard drive.
At first, I would recommend to test it for errors with "HDD Health".
This program can display a hard drive's statistics, such as the temperature of the drive, it's overall health, and every other attribute.
If the hard drive appears to be bad or is generating errors indicating its bad I suggest replacing it.
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”