Big cats

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Big cats

Postby Nesikep » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:03 pm

Well, last week my neighbor saw a very skinny looking cougar across the pagewire fence from her dogs...

Today I find one of my cows on the wrong side of the fence, bottom 2 strands were broken.. The bottom strand NEVER gets broken from them just fiddling, rubbing, and being a general PITA.. It sure sounds to me like they put the run on something, and they're plenty used to coyotes I doubt they would go through the bother with them.. the cow was Cenci, a stout cow that's built like a brick shythouse, and with 1/4 Saler blood and knowing how her mother was protective, I have little doubt she'd get steamed up about an intruder like that. I also know that I wouldn't want her mad at ME.

Keeping the rifles loaded for sure.
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

MRRherefords
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Big cats

Postby MRRherefords » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:53 pm

Nesikep wrote:Well, last week my neighbor saw a very skinny looking cougar across the pagewire fence from her dogs...

Today I find one of my cows on the wrong side of the fence, bottom 2 strands were broken.. The bottom strand NEVER gets broken from them just fiddling, rubbing, and being a general PITA.. It sure sounds to me like they put the run on something, and they're plenty used to coyotes I doubt they would go through the bother with them.. the cow was Cenci, a stout cow that's built like a brick shythouse, and with 1/4 Saler blood and knowing how her mother was protective, I have little doubt she'd get steamed up about an intruder like that. I also know that I wouldn't want her mad at ME.

Keeping the rifles loaded for sure.

Hope that he doesn't hurt any. We have lost calves to coyotes that get too hungry, and that is certainly not any fun.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:01 pm

The yotes around here are pretty good.. never had any problems with them other than with the hens..

Cats on the other hand.. I am much more wary, and the cows are far more concerned about them as well
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:44 pm

It has been a tough winter. At least down here more snow than in years. That will make for hungry cats that end up closer to civilization.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:00 pm

Look up if you're missing a calf. Rancher not far from us was losing calves & the Game Warden said the cougars/mountain lions will stash them up in the trees (on the flip side they sometimes bury them). He checked his trees and found 2 calves.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:15 pm

TCRanch wrote:Look up if you're missing a calf. Rancher not far from us was losing calves & the Game Warden said the cougars/mountain lions will stash them up in the trees (on the flip side they sometimes bury them). He checked his trees and found 2 calves.

Makes me wonder how many cats you've walked under, and why didn't they pounce on you? Jogeephus, had one stalking him through the woods awhile back for a mile or so. I'd be in a panic.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:40 pm

I've heard more than one story of people hanging a deer in a tree, skinning it, taking a picture, and then seeing in the picture there was a cougar a couple branches above them and they never noticed.
There's all sorts of stuff we must be walking by and not notice... Just by watching the cows I see lots of stuff that I'd never see without them pointing it out to me
0 x

Waterway65
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Waterway65 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:17 pm

You guys don't have enough deer! Send the cat this way. Cats are hard to see they blend in so well. I have found plenty of tracks and kills but have only seen one in my life and nearly missed that one even though I was looking right at me.
0 x

reeler
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby reeler » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:29 am

TCRanch wrote:Look up if you're missing a calf. Rancher not far from us was losing calves & the Game Warden said the cougars/mountain lions will stash them up in the trees (on the flip side they sometimes bury them). He checked his trees and found 2 calves.

:shock: Yikes, I didn't know they stashed them in trees. Makes me think of that Arnold Schwarzenegger movie. Neighbor thinks one got a calf about a month ago.Serious business.
0 x

reeler
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby reeler » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:34 am

Nesikep wrote:I've heard more than one story of people hanging a deer in a tree, skinning it, taking a picture, and then seeing in the picture there was a cougar a couple branches above them and they never noticed.
There's all sorts of stuff we must be walking by and not notice... Just by watching the cows I see lots of stuff that I'd never see without them pointing it out to me

Ditto, just by watching the cows they alert you to a lot. Sounds like Cenci is kickin butt! Maybe cat will move on.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:07 am

reeler wrote:
Nesikep wrote:I've heard more than one story of people hanging a deer in a tree, skinning it, taking a picture, and then seeing in the picture there was a cougar a couple branches above them and they never noticed.

Ditto, just by watching the cows they alert you to a lot. Sounds like Cenci is kickin butt! Maybe cat will move on.

Double ditto. We were moving the bred heifers the other day and all of the sudden they just froze, hair on the back of their necks stood up. Turned out to be a nasty armadillo but they saw or sensed it immediately while I had no clue.
0 x

Atimm693
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Atimm693 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:31 am

http://www.news-leader.com/story/sports ... /97336572/

I have a neighbor that swears a black panther was stealing his piglets. Maybe he wasn't wrong after all.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:52 am

I wonder if cg8 caught her cat?
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:25 am

Nesikep wrote:The yotes around here are pretty good.. never had any problems with them other than with the hens..

Cats on the other hand.. I am much more wary, and the cows are far more concerned about them as well

Ahh yes. Bez's old 'good coyote/bad coyote' thing.
I wonder how Bez is doing nowadays??
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:27 am

TCRanch wrote:
Double ditto. We were moving the bred heifers the other day and all of the sudden they just froze, hair on the back of their necks stood up. Turned out to be a nasty armadillo but they saw or sensed it immediately while I had no clue.

Your cattle are afraid of 'dillos?? :shock: :shock: :shock:
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”