Big cats

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Re: Big cats

Postby TCRanch » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:42 pm

greybeard wrote:
TCRanch wrote:
Double ditto. We were moving the bred heifers the other day and all of the sudden they just froze, hair on the back of their necks stood up. Turned out to be a nasty armadillo but they saw or sensed it immediately while I had no clue.

Your cattle are afraid of 'dillos?? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yes! Freaks them out when the 'dillos rear up on their hind legs & hop around and maybe they sense my pure hatred of them (they have destroyed our yard & the alfalfa field). But they completely ignore the wild turkeys that literally hang with the herd.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:45 pm

reeler wrote:
TCRanch wrote:Look up if you're missing a calf. Rancher not far from us was losing calves & the Game Warden said the cougars/mountain lions will stash them up in the trees (on the flip side they sometimes bury them). He checked his trees and found 2 calves.

:shock: Yikes, I didn't know they stashed them in trees. Makes me think of that Arnold Schwarzenegger movie. Neighbor thinks one got a calf about a month ago.Serious business.

Happens to be "that movie" (Terminator) was filmed not too far from here (Hope BC)
Waterway65 wrote:You guys don't have enough deer! Send the cat this way. Cats are hard to see they blend in so well. I have found plenty of tracks and kills but have only seen one in my life and nearly missed that one even though I was looking right at me.

We got plenty of deer.. I've seen upwards of 60 at a time in my neighbors fields.. only about 3 at a time at our place (usually a buck and a pair of does.. some years it's white tails, others it's mule deer.. The white tail are far prettier

My old cow Tizia was a "slow" looking cow.. big belly, never moved faster than she had to, but she saw *everything*.. especially buckets of course.. but she pointed out many bears to me.. it's not that she was overly concerned about them, but she lay there and chew cud, but never take her eyes (or ears) off them while the rest of the herd seemed oblivious
Cenci has that 1/4 Saler in her which is what I attribute the "attack mode" to.. Thankfully she knows the difference between the hand that feeds because I sure wouldn't want her to pin me
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

reeler
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby reeler » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:23 am

TCRanch wrote:
greybeard wrote:
TCRanch wrote:
Double ditto. We were moving the bred heifers the other day and all of the sudden they just froze, hair on the back of their necks stood up. Turned out to be a nasty armadillo but they saw or sensed it immediately while I had no clue.

Yes! Freaks them out when the 'dillos rear up on their hind legs & hop around and maybe they sense my pure hatred of them (they have destroyed our yard & the alfalfa field). But they completely ignore the wild turkeys that literally hang with the herd.

We must have cows with kindred spirits-
Same here, hatin 'dillos & ignorin turkeys. My girls also dislike my domestic cats, & run them out of the pasture on a regular basis.The heifers are the most aggressive with kitties.
0 x

reeler
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby reeler » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:37 am

Nesikep wrote:We got plenty of deer.. I've seen upwards of 60 at a time in my neighbors fields.. only about 3 at a time at our place (usually a buck and a pair of does.. some years it's white tails, others it's mule deer.. The white tail are far prettier

My old cow Tizia was a "slow" looking cow.. big belly, never moved faster than she had to, but she saw *everything*.. especially buckets of course.. but she pointed out many bears to me.. it's not that she was overly concerned about them, but she lay there and chew cud, but never take her eyes (or ears) off them while the rest of the herd seemed oblivious
Cenci has that 1/4 Saler in her which is what I attribute the "attack mode" to.. Thankfully she knows the difference between the hand that feeds because I sure wouldn't want her to pin me

Sure enjoy hearing about your cows. Cool names.Cows can be the best entertainment you could ever ask for-Or sometimes, the biggest pain in the rump.But it's rewarding most of the time.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:53 am

TCRanch wrote:
greybeard wrote:
TCRanch wrote:

Uh oh....You let 'em read the comic books huh?

0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:36 pm

This was Tizia.. She didn't like the house cat either around her new calves.. after a while she was OK with them again though..

Our cows would chase the cat just for the fun of it usually.. same with the hens and the resident ravens that go around looking for some afterbirth.. They're especially fun to chase because they'll hop for a while before taking off
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:35 pm

greybeard wrote:
TCRanch wrote:
greybeard wrote:Your cattle are afraid of 'dillos?? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Uh oh....You let 'em read the comic books huh?

That creature is almost as nasty as the heathens destroying my ranch. Eweee!
0 x

reeler
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby reeler » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:07 pm

Nesikep wrote:This was Tizia.. She didn't like the house cat either around her new calves.. after a while she was OK with them again though..

Our cows would chase the cat just for the fun of it usually.. same with the hens and the resident ravens that go around looking for some afterbirth.. They're especially fun to chase because they'll hop for a while before taking off

Thanks for sharing the pic of Tizia-she sure is a gorgeous girl! Strikingly similar to a favorite cow of mine, both in color & size. I miss my girl very much.My other cows had a healthy respect for her.Big girls like that have quite a presence about them. Hope you were able to keep some of Tizia's babies.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:13 pm

reeler wrote:
Nesikep wrote:This was Tizia.. She didn't like the house cat either around her new calves.. after a while she was OK with them again though..

Thanks for sharing the pic of Tizia-she sure is a gorgeous girl! Strikingly similar to a favorite cow of mine, both in color & size. I miss my girl very much.My other cows had a healthy respect for her.Big girls like that have quite a presence about them. Hope you were able to keep some of Tizia's babies.

She wasn't a bossy cow, and for her size, not much of a fighter.. It was actually quite hilarious.. She LOVED attention, but her smaller, older sister, who was arthritic and about 17 years old would just look at her sideways and she'd cower away.. respect your elders!. OR ELSE!!
Unfortunately I only have one daughter of hers, Mega, and I sold one bull I kept intact, Hector.. I may buy/trade him back in a while though, I really like the calves he's made... Hector has his mothers vigilance as well, he's pretty cool and laid back, usually babysitting... until there's an intruder of any kind and then the war is on..as a yearling he beat up an older longhorn bull, and as a 2 year old he sent a big Angus bull back through the fence from whence he came.. Of course round bales are excellent practice!!

Sister Rosie (Saler sired)

Hector at 4 years old
at 3 years old https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj3vC0oLJY0

Mega as a long yearling

One of Hectors calves.. IIRC momma is a Jersey Herf cross, calf looks like papa though

Yeah.. I like talking about my cows!
0 x

reeler
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby reeler » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:23 am

Nesikep wrote:
reeler wrote:

She wasn't a bossy cow, and for her size, not much of a fighter.. It was actually quite hilarious.. She LOVED attention, but her smaller, older sister, who was arthritic and about 17 years old would just look at her sideways and she'd cower away.. respect your elders!. OR ELSE!!
Unfortunately I only have one daughter of hers, Mega, and I sold one bull I kept intact, Hector.. I may buy/trade him back in a while though, I really like the calves he's made... Hector has his mothers vigilance as well, he's pretty cool and laid back, usually babysitting... until there's an intruder of any kind and then the war is on..as a yearling he beat up an older longhorn bull, and as a 2 year old he sent a big Angus bull back through the fence from whence he came.. Of course round bales are excellent practice!!

Sister Rosie (Saler sired)

Hector at 4 years old
at 3 years old https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj3vC0oLJY0

Mega as a long yearling

One of Hectors calves.. IIRC momma is a Jersey Herf cross, calf looks like papa though

Yeah.. I like talking about my cows!

Your cows are exquisite-that"s something to talk about!Glad you have Mega, hope you get Hector back. You are a blessed man indeed! Thanks for the pics.I'm partial to Red cows, so I especially enjoyed seeing them :D
0 x

midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:44 am

Bigfoot wrote:I wonder if cg8 caught her cat?

I was thinking the same thing, she still on the forum? I haven't seen her on in a while.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:51 am

midTN_Brangusman wrote:

I was thinking the same thing, she still on the forum? I haven't seen her on in a while.

Hadn't seen her here in a while.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:57 pm

reeler wrote:I'm partial to Red cows

Me too!.. though some tan in there looks nice too..

Here's a steer, Limo sired with a Gelbvieh x Saler momma.. I wish I had found him a 4H home.. I sure liked his meaty butt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5DgVoecp_E
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:03 pm

midTN_Brangusman wrote:

cat got her tongue?
:hide:
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

reeler
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby reeler » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:27 am

Nesikep wrote:
reeler wrote:I'm partial to Red cows

Me too!.. though some tan in there looks nice too..

Here's a steer, Limo sired with a Gelbvieh x Saler momma.. I wish I had found him a 4H home.. I sure liked his meaty butt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5DgVoecp_E

Gelbvieh :banana: Now you're talkin my language. That steer is one impressive dude! My husband & I started off with a Gelbvieh/Angus & maintained a red herd, but had to go to a black bull. Are all yours red?
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”