Big cats

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Big cats

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:13 am

greybeard wrote:
midTN_Brangusman wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:I wonder if cg8 caught her cat?

I was thinking the same thing, she still on the forum? I haven't seen her on in a while.

cat got her tongue?
:hide:

:lol2:
0 x
Backward B Ranch
Registered Brangus Cattle

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:45 am

I have a few roan cows showing their shorthorn influence still, but they're all getting pretty old.

That steer is Rosie's grandson from Cenci.. she's pretty chunky too, and has kept that look as a cow

Going back to cats.. I heard from a native fellow there's 4 of them in the area, and they've been eating a few dogs.. There's a momma with 2 big kittens, and a tom
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:15 pm

Nesikep wrote:Well, last week my neighbor saw a very skinny looking cougar across the pagewire fence from her dogs...

Today I find one of my cows on the wrong side of the fence, bottom 2 strands were broken.. The bottom strand NEVER gets broken from them just fiddling, rubbing, and being a general PITA.. It sure sounds to me like they put the run on something, and they're plenty used to coyotes I doubt they would go through the bother with them.. the cow was Cenci, a stout cow that's built like a brick shythouse, and with 1/4 Saler blood and knowing how her mother was protective, I have little doubt she'd get steamed up about an intruder like that. I also know that I wouldn't want her mad at ME.

Keeping the rifles loaded for sure.

That big cat decides he really wants "Cenci" he will get her. :nod: :nod:
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:50 pm

Guess it depends on the rest of the herd,.. if it's a stampede or he can't sneak up I don't think he's got good odds.. If one of them is away from the group that's a different situation of course
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:51 pm

Thankfully there's easier meals out there.. the feral horses are so thin right now they hardly have any energy to run, and there's always the rez dogs out and about.. I know it has eaten a few of them!
0 x

SIMMGAL
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby SIMMGAL » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:58 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
TCRanch wrote:Look up if you're missing a calf. Rancher not far from us was losing calves & the Game Warden said the cougars/mountain lions will stash them up in the trees (on the flip side they sometimes bury them). He checked his trees and found 2 calves.

Makes me wonder how many cats you've walked under, and why didn't they pounce on you? Jogeephus, had one stalking him through the woods awhile back for a mile or so. I'd be in a panic.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
That's a pretty unnerving thought.
0 x
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cattle and that's pretty much the same thing as far as I'm concerned! ;-)

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:44 pm

I am not short on cats in my neighborhood. One of my coworkers had a big tom cross the road in front of him a couple miles from my summer pasture. Neighbors Mom had sheep and goats disappearing that were penned up at night. He set up a game camera. Got pictures of a cat jumping into the pen. And then another picture of the cat jumping out with a lamb in its mouth. Two years ago I had a 150 pound calf disappear without a trace. I am guessing that a cat got him. The field they were in borders on several hundreds of thousand of acres of timber ground. I have never seen a cat there but I have seen bears, elk, deer, coyotes, and about every other sort of wild critter.
0 x

reeler
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby reeler » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:26 pm

There are times when cattle will fight back against a predator.For example, Google: Black bear attacks mother cow, herd fights back (8 Photos)
0 x

reeler
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby reeler » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:30 pm

Nesikep wrote:I have a few roan cows showing their shorthorn influence still, but they're all getting pretty old.

That steer is Rosie's grandson from Cenci.. she's pretty chunky too, and has kept that look as a cow

Going back to cats.. I heard from a native fellow there's 4 of them in the area, and they've been eating a few dogs.. There's a momma with 2 big kittens, and a tom

Nice pic, looks like calf's got wavy hair.
Prayers that your herd stays safe!
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:38 pm

reeler wrote:There are times when cattle will fight back against a predator.For example, Google: Black bear attacks mother cow, herd fights back (8 Photos)

Those are OLD pictures, and were actually taken in BC from what I had heard.. though where is a bit of a question.. I heard in the Kootenays at one point, and in the Chilcotin another time... I'm at the southern edge of the Chilcotin area, but a long way from the kootenays..

Yes, those mommas were very upset with that bear, and he probably was sore for a long time after that. When it comes to defending, they will suddenly lose any fear of anything, and all bets are off at that point
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:10 pm

reeler wrote:There are times when cattle will fight back against a predator.For example, Google: Black bear attacks mother cow, herd fights back (8 Photos)

A herd might run one off but I seriously doubt one cow would have a chance.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

reeler
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby reeler » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:20 am

TexasBred wrote:

A herd might run one off but I seriously doubt one cow would have a chance.

Agreed, There's strength in numbers, & in cows like Cenci :nod:
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:24 pm

Bigfoot wrote:I wonder if cg8 caught her cat?

No, but it did come back. Husband shot a pig back where we've lost calves to it. He shot the 200 pound pig at around 1am..I went out as the sun was coming up at around 6am.. The pig had been gutted and meat on backbone eaten..Not a blade of grass was trampled, no blood was dropped. Something laid down and chowed down. I have pictures of the pig somewhere. I got a new computer and there is no pictures on it yet...
A delivery driver was driving on our road down by my inlaws. A cougar jumped out in front of him, stopped, then ran into the woods by their house. He went to their house and warned them a cougar was near their house. That is a half mile from ours, and about a mile from where we've had calves mauled.
Touch Butt is doing ok. The damage he had to his spine is showing now. His backend is small and he isn't growing. I'm guessing he's around 200 pounds, if that much. I've found that animal maulings do a number on livestock. They are never normal afterwards. He will forever be a pet.
Eventually, I will get that cat. Son in law has an acquaintance that hunts cats for a living. I did not know this last time he was here. But next time he's around, i'm going to go nab him and get pointers on how to get it....
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”