Few hours of free time and this is what I do

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Few hours of free time and this is what I do

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon May 22, 2017 4:24 pm

RanchMan90 wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
RanchMan90 wrote:A heritage breed called large black. They were supposed to survive on grass and not root, the first part was true :lol2: I crossed a few with a Chester white for a terminal cross. Feed costs and processing brings my costs to $2 a lb on the feeder pigs.

What all do you feed them?

The sows just graze and get fed occasionally. The feeder pigs average 10 lbs of 16% commodity feed (ddg, corn, soy hulls, wheat mids) per day for 180 days. I've got to cut feed costs before proceeding also.

I feed mine brewers grain with minerals and milk and break of course water that's all they get mostly unless I have a bunch of ddg left over from calves.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Mon May 22, 2017 4:29 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
RanchMan90 wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
What all do you feed them?

The sows just graze and get fed occasionally. The feeder pigs average 10 lbs of 16% commodity feed (ddg, corn, soy hulls, wheat mids) per day for 180 days. I've got to cut feed costs before proceeding also.

I feed mine brewers grain with minerals and milk and break of course water that's all they get mostly unless I have a bunch of ddg left over from calves.
That makes good $ense. If you don't mind my asking, what do you get per lb hanging weight?
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon May 22, 2017 4:40 pm

RanchMan90 wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
RanchMan90 wrote:The sows just graze and get fed occasionally. The feeder pigs average 10 lbs of 16% commodity feed (ddg, corn, soy hulls, wheat mids) per day for 180 days. I've got to cut feed costs before proceeding also.

That makes good $ense. If you don't mind my asking, what do you get per lb hanging weight?

I sell only private sale to folks who want to process their own foods and or will take them to have them butchered so I honestly have no idea. I expanded my farm to sell animals direct to individuals who don't mind putting in work to processing their own meat and provide a covered facility with a winch to hang an animal and tubs to scald animals. The ones I kill and make sausage are ones I eat myself or give to friends. I provide a place for folks to pick out a sheep goat duck turkey chicken hog bobwhite quails. I guess to answer your question I charge 1.00lb average
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:16 am

The first visitors have arrived to the new place I am thinking I will keep these here just for my families consumption and give these a special diet.. They have already started digging around the tree roots

0 x

j_20
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby j_20 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:15 pm

Havent been on here in a while. I like the idea sky especially the loading chute, I am always fighting hogs trying to get em in trailer. I think im going to have to use your idea.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:08 am

j_20 wrote:Havent been on here in a while. I like the idea sky especially the loading chute, I am always fighting hogs trying to get em in trailer. I think im going to have to use your idea.

Welcome back :lol: Feel free to use it I hope it serves you well. Here is a couple pics of the " special pigs " and they seem to have grown some. They love my rations I feed them.

0 x

j_20
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby j_20 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:20 am

Is that a 14% or 16% Sky? haha Hey whatever works. I've feed reject tortillas and bad fruit, believe it or not a pig will find its way into a cocunut.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:39 am

j_20 wrote:Is that a 14% or 16% Sky? haha Hey whatever works. I've feed reject tortillas and bad fruit, believe it or not a pig will find its way into a cocunut.

:lol: I wish I knew the % seriously .... I feed them a lot of brewers grain mixed with milk and minerals then bread milk and sweets I also put 50# of corn that's cracked in milk and they love that too. I feed fruit and veggies when I have it and some slop from the house.

0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:05 pm

They look happy!
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:08 pm

Nesikep wrote:They look happy!

They definitely are that they love their desserts best.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:24 pm

They're not called pigs for no reason... :hide: them donuts are a giveaway :P
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”