Few hours of free time and this is what I do

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
ez14.
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Few hours of free time and this is what I do

Postby ez14. » Mon May 22, 2017 10:07 am

skyhightree1 wrote:
j_20 wrote:I've been thinking about building a few pig and sheep sheds out of some pallets if you get around to that sky I'd defiantly like to see some pics.

Not sure if you are still around but heres a few pics I am done for the most part but will put tar paper on the roof.

Next I plan on building a goat house out of pallets but that will be when it cools down
what is that in the second picture?
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon May 22, 2017 10:09 am

ez14. wrote:

what is that in the second picture?[/quote]

Loading/Unloading alley way - 3rd pic is what it looks like completed
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

ez14.
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby ez14. » Mon May 22, 2017 10:13 am

skyhightree1 wrote:
ez14. wrote:

what is that in the second picture?

Loading/Unloading alley way - 3rd pic is what it looks like completed[/quote]that's what I thought it just looked kinda small. The 2 pallets on the ground make a ramp?
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon May 22, 2017 10:26 am

ez14. wrote:that's what I thought it just looked kinda small. The 2 pallets on the ground make a ramp?

Its foot tall and 26 inches wide.. Perfect height for stock trailer and unless hogs are huge they should fit in and out just fine most of the time when I buy a 600lb sow I kill her right off the trailer anyway or put in another lot.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

ez14.
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby ez14. » Mon May 22, 2017 11:28 am

skyhightree1 wrote:
ez14. wrote:that's what I thought it just looked kinda small. The 2 pallets on the ground make a ramp?

Its foot tall and 26 inches wide.. Perfect height for stock trailer and unless hogs are huge they should fit in and out just fine most of the time when I buy a 600lb sow I kill her right off the trailer anyway or put in another lot.

We usually lock the pigs on the ramp or in a small loading area just before the ramp so it's a easy push in to the trailer (it looks to small to do that is all)
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon May 22, 2017 12:12 pm

ez14. wrote:We usually lock the pigs on the ramp or in a small loading area just before the ramp so it's a easy push in to the trailer (it looks to small to do that is all)

Gotcha.. yea this is a big improvement over other facility lol they were never loaded just killed and loader carried out..or make shift ramp and a hot shot lol
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Mon May 22, 2017 12:26 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
ez14. wrote:We usually lock the pigs on the ramp or in a small loading area just before the ramp so it's a easy push in to the trailer (it looks to small to do that is all)

Gotcha.. yea this is a big improvement over other facility lol they were never loaded just killed and loader carried out..or make shift ramp and a hot shot lol
I figured that out yesterday loading some to take to butcher. They were very uncooperative loading.
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon May 22, 2017 1:58 pm

RanchMan90 wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

I figured that out yesterday loading some to take to butcher. They were very uncooperative loading.

:lol: which did you do shoot and carry or shock and move ? I don't like butchering any until winter so I can make the country hams. If I kill them now I make sausage.. I bought a 700lb sow month or so ago killed her made sausage.
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Mon May 22, 2017 2:03 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
RanchMan90 wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

:lol: which did you do shoot and carry or shock and move ? I don't like butchering any until winter so I can make the country hams. If I kill them now I make sausage.. I bought a 700lb sow month or so ago killed her made sausage.
Shock and move. I'm having hams cured and sliced. Took a couple in to get processed for friends and neighbors to see if there's any interest in it. Not cheap @ $200 per head to butcher some 300 lb gilts.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon May 22, 2017 2:09 pm

RanchMan90 wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
RanchMan90 wrote: I figured that out yesterday loading some to take to butcher. They were very uncooperative loading.

Shock and move. I'm having hams cured and sliced. Took a couple in to get processed for friends and neighbors to see if there's any interest in it. Not cheap @ $200 per head to butcher some 300 lb gilts.

I like salt cure that when you eat once piece your head feels like its about to blow off :lol: 200.00 per head to butcher lol I would have did it for half that thanks to Jogee he explained plus a book they are easy to process and break down. I don't know if your squeamish or not but if not give one a try once you do and see how easy it is you'll kick yourself. However, The vacuum sealing and other facilities may make it worth it for you if you do not plan on doing it a lot.
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Mon May 22, 2017 2:27 pm

Processing facilities are holding me back from doing it myself. Just gauging interest before I invest, if again with pigs. I won't miss their smell, though having them on pasture helps.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon May 22, 2017 2:35 pm

RanchMan90 wrote:Processing facilities are holding me back from doing it myself. Just gauging interest before I invest, if again with pigs. I won't miss their smell, though having them on pasture helps.

Gotcha, Yea those things stink so bad but taste so good. I really got involved with pigs when I had access to tons of free feed and milk and minimal costs for bread. If it weren't for that I would just buy them from someone else. What breeds do you have ? I have everything that I can get at a deal I even had pot bellied someone gave me :oops: They made good sausage :lol2:
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Mon May 22, 2017 3:29 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
RanchMan90 wrote:Processing facilities are holding me back from doing it myself. Just gauging interest before I invest, if again with pigs. I won't miss their smell, though having them on pasture helps.

Gotcha, Yea those things stink so bad but taste so good. I really got involved with pigs when I had access to tons of free feed and milk and minimal costs for bread. If it weren't for that I would just buy them from someone else. What breeds do you have ? I have everything that I can get at a deal I even had pot bellied someone gave me :oops: They made good sausage :lol2:

A heritage breed called large black. They were supposed to survive on grass and not root, the first part was true :lol2: I crossed a few with a Chester white for a terminal cross. Feed costs and processing brings my costs to $2 a lb on the feeder pigs.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon May 22, 2017 4:02 pm

RanchMan90 wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

A heritage breed called large black. They were supposed to survive on grass and not root, the first part was true :lol2: I crossed a few with a Chester white for a terminal cross. Feed costs and processing brings my costs to $2 a lb on the feeder pigs.

What all do you feed them?
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Mon May 22, 2017 4:07 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
RanchMan90 wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

What all do you feed them?

The sows just graze and get fed occasionally. The feeder pigs average 10 lbs of 16% commodity feed (ddg, corn, soy hulls, wheat mids) per day for 180 days. I've got to cut feed costs before proceeding also.
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”