Classic Car Owner?

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
cfpinz
GURU
GURU

Re: Classic Car Owner?

Postby cfpinz » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:45 pm

dun wrote:Dam, you could buy 3 trucks for that much based on the junk you drive. Maybe 6 of those crappy dodges you've been driving lately

I'd still be driving Fords if they'd put stickshifts in them.

Lately we've been buying Cummins engines, sucks that the shipping containers are such a pile of crap.
0 x
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

younggun
Beginner
Beginner

Postby younggun » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:48 pm

cfpinz wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:Wished I still had my 69 GTO it was bad to the bone, cousin had a 68 Super Bee 383 magnum with three deuces that car was scary fast.
Actually looked at a 67 GTO last week almost got weak enough to write the check.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the condition and asking price?

Mopar muscle cars have really started fetching some money.

Yea they have. I'd love to have a 68 charger or a 69 SuperBee but in order to get into the muscle car scene I had to start with the lowly A-bodies (darts, demons, Duster's, valiants, etc.) but I've come to LOVE the A-bodies and my 72 Duster has become my dream car and I don't think I'd ever get rid of it in order to get any other car.

That all said, now since the B and E bodies have been so high for so long that the A-body's are starting to go up now too
0 x

D2Cat
Rancher
Rancher

Postby D2Cat » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:38 am

We bought a '72 Duster brand new. Guess I thought the 6 cyl would last forever. It was a dark blue color. I called it the blue lemon. It was a piece of sh*t. Windshield leaked with the slightest rain, driver's door would unlock when it wanted to, transmission leaked at 12,000 miles...
0 x

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:57 am

The first car that my wife and I bought was a 1956 Oldsmobile rocket 88 coupe. A/C unit located in the trunk. Baby blue and white. We bought it used in 1962 when we married. 850 dollars. Wish we still had it. Swapped it in on a 1963 Chevrolet Corvair coupe. Sorry excuse for a car.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:01 am

hurleyjd wrote:The first car that my wife and I bought was a 1956 Oldsmobile rocket 88 coupe. A/C unit located in the trunk. Baby blue and white. We bought it used in 1962 when we married. 850 dollars. Wish we still had it. Swapped it in on a 1963 Chevrolet Corvair coupe. Sorry excuse for a car.

Yep..what suspension engineer thought this was a good idea?

0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:30 pm

greybeard wrote:
hurleyjd wrote:The first car that my wife and I bought was a 1956 Oldsmobile rocket 88 coupe. A/C unit located in the trunk. Baby blue and white. We bought it used in 1962 when we married. 850 dollars. Wish we still had it. Swapped it in on a 1963 Chevrolet Corvair coupe. Sorry excuse for a car.

Interesting. I knew that they had a bad name for rolling over but I had a 65 and it really handled well. Now I know why
Probably the same one that came up with "chemcally honed" cylinders a few years later. Don;t recall the moidel but after driving it hard for a couple of hours you would have more oil in the engine then you started. Hour or so later the gas that had gotten in the oil all went away. Burned up engines pretty fast too.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:25 pm

After I totaled my 69 GTO on a cow bought a 68 Impala SS with a 327 wished I still had that one as well.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

D2Cat
Rancher
Rancher

Postby D2Cat » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:26 pm

Had a '66 GTO with 389 and 3 duces. Sold it when I got a '61 TR3 and it got 27 MPG, and couldn't afford two cars. Had a "62 Jag XKE coupe, sold it when we moved to the country. Had a '69 Daytona Yellow Camaro. All were in excellent condition when I sold them, just had different priorities. I always think, what would they be worth now.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:01 pm

I've only owned one car in my life and it was a 1968 VW bug with Goodyear terra tracs. I don't care for cars and can't remember the last time that I rode in one.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:23 pm

One good thing I can say about the Corvair is the chrome on them was top notch. I have one that's been dumped in the woods on a farm and its been there as long as I can remember and the chrome is still shiny.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:07 am

I just recalled what that chemical honed cylinder POC was, the vega
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:01 am

Chocolate Cow wrote:Years ago, before coming back to the farm, I had a '66 Corvette convertible. Both tops. 427 big block, 515 hp. 4 speed Hurst shifter, side pipes. Elkhart green. I also had a 1970 LT-1 Corvette convertible also with both tops. The LT-1 was a small block 350 with 370hp. 650 Holley. 4 speed. Silver with black leather interior. Air conditioning was not an option as it took away from the horsepower. Hooker headers & side pipes. The '66 went to some collector in Dallas and the '70 went to a guy in Washington state. My parents thought I couldn't be part of the farm and own cars like that so it was STRONGLY suggested they be sold. What a mistake.

that's what happened to me!
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:34 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:I've only owned one car in my life and it was a 1968 VW bug with Goodyear terra tracs. I don't care for cars and can't remember the last time that I rode in one.

Grit maybe you were just lucky and born a pretty man.
I will tell you this a mussel car covered up ugly from head to foot.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:48 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:I've only owned one car in my life and it was a 1968 VW bug with Goodyear terra tracs. I don't care for cars and can't remember the last time that I rode in one.

Grit maybe you were just lucky and born a pretty man.
I will tell you this a mussel car covered up ugly from head to foot.

Your probably right, I always heard it was my blue eyes. :D
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:53 pm

greybeard wrote:

http://www.cheatsheet.com/automobiles/t ... yptr=yahoo
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”