Hired help, hourly wage?

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Re: Hired help, hourly wage?

Postby TCRanch » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:32 pm

Jo, that's a horrible story! I cannot imagine the devastation of that man. And yet the actions of the new DA do not surprise me, where we now apparently live in a society where no one is responsible for their actions and even with true accidents, forces of nature, unexpected tragedy . . . . . someone has to be blamed. Bonus if there is money or accolades to gain. I'm glad you live in a community that stands together and still maintains integrity.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:06 pm

TCRanch wrote:Jo, that's a horrible story! I cannot imagine the devastation of that man. And yet the actions of the new DA do not surprise me, where we now apparently live in a society where no one is responsible for their actions and even with true accidents, forces of nature, unexpected tragedy . . . . . someone has to be blamed. Bonus if there is money or accolades to gain. I'm glad you live in a community that stands together and still maintains integrity.

Me too! Everyone was super upset with the actions of the DA - even the child's family. They even tried to get her to drop it but she had some sick agenda.

Everyone complains about an unskilled workforce but the thing is learning how to work starts at a young age and you make mistakes as you gain experience. We all hope everyone makes it with just a few bumps and bruises but missing digits and twisted limbs are bound to happen. Even death.

I once screwed up really good and I'll never forget what one of the best bosses I ever had told me and it was this. "Only those who don't do anything don't make mistakes. Learn from it and move forward." This was a great boss and there is so much truth in what he said.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:11 pm

That's right Jo. "Those who do nothing do nothing wrong" is not a good thing to have said about ya.

Last person I paid to work here was on a fencing job and was in between drilling jobs. Told him $12/hr but after seeing he could use a chainsaw, drive a tractor and worked good, I paid him $14/hr. $$ well spent IMO.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:38 pm

I knew I had a smaller operation than most, but now it feels even smaller. I've never had the need to hire anyone, and if I payed anybody $10 an hour, I'd probably be in the poor house :D
0 x

f1tiger
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby f1tiger » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:29 pm

Worked for $ 8 a day and $ 1 for every nutrant rat killed in the rice fields in 1969 ( made $ 14 in one day thought I was shi$$ing in high cotton ) boss man was going to pay my way to TAMU but I was young and restless & knew everything so I turned down his offer and joined the USMC and what can I say ........ best decision I ever made lol.... pay my high school help $ 10 bucks/hour but takers are few and far between as nobody has any work ethics any more
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:12 am

f1tiger wrote:Worked for $ 8 a day and $ 1 for every nutrant rat killed in the rice fields in 1969 ( made $ 14 in one day thought I was shi$$ing in high cotton ) boss man was going to pay my way to TAMU but I was young and restless & knew everything so I turned down his offer and joined the USMC and what can I say ........ best decision I ever made lol....

Are we brothers.. separated at birth?
And your pay went way down the second you stood on those yellow footprints too.
Base pay for a E-1 in '69 was what...about $85.00.......per month?
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:06 am

I normally pay labors $10 to $12 an hour depending on what I have them doing and how well they work.

I did have an experience Friday that I've never had before tho. Two young Elders from the LDS church volunteered to help us out with some things that we would normally hire out. Gave us about three hours of their time and we sent plenty of eggs and vegetables home with them as they can not accept money. I also asked if I could send pictures of them to their parents and they acted like they had just hit the jackpot. By the response I got back from their parents I think they thought the same thing.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:14 am

msplmtneer wrote:I started in the hayfields when I was 12 got paid .75 cents a hour paid for my school clothes :tiphat:

Lucky you.. I started doing the same thing at the same age.. I didn't get paid though (well, there was food on the table).

tater74 wrote:$1.25 to move a 1/4 mile sprinkler line. No wheels, just pick up each joint and move it about 50 feet.
Not too bad in a wheat field, potatoes and beans were worse.
$5.00 to mow a lawn.

That's what I do all summer still.. I do about 100 pipes a day, depending on if we have seed beds.. mowed fields are soo easy.. 5' high alfalfa is horrendous.. you move forward by continually tripping yourself pretty much.. doesn't make it easier that its usually 100F out either
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:40 am

Nesikep wrote:
msplmtneer wrote:I started in the hayfields when I was 12 got paid .75 cents a hour paid for my school clothes :tiphat:

Lucky you.. I started doing the same thing at the same age.. I didn't get paid though (well, there was food on the table).

Lucky you indeed. Brother and I were talking a few weeks ago..reminiscing about hauling hay for 3 cents/bale in the mid '60s..we wuz in high cotton..all the baled up skunks, thorns, snakes and dusty low overhead haylofts we could stand.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:06 pm

Thankfully I've always used a bale stacker wagon.. though playing 42 pickup when it messes up is never fun.. Then again, our bales are often crowding 90 lbs, which is a whole other story than a lot of the coastal hay I've worked with that is 40-50 lbs/bale.. I had some bales this year that were a touch wet when baled, so I kept that for the cows that had already calved.. they were SOOO heavy.. about 110 lb each, it was all I could do to lift them onto the trailer, and it was a surprise the strings held up.. it's all used up now and the 80 lb'ers feel light after those.
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:08 pm

greybeard wrote:
Nesikep wrote:

Lucky you indeed. Brother and I were talking a few weeks ago..reminiscing about hauling hay for 3 cents/bale in the mid '60s..we wuz in high cotton..all the baled up skunks, thorns, snakes and dusty low overhead haylofts we could stand.

Peanut hay. A bale of sticks and sand. The edges will eat you up. The bales are extremely heavy Cows will fight to get to it. Once they smell the hay, they'll jump coral fences or get hung up in them trying to get over. Just leave the gate at the road open; the cows are coming after you and trying to drag bales off.

When we hired out hauling grass hay, it was like taking a break.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:48 pm

greybeard wrote: Brother and I were talking a few weeks ago..reminiscing about hauling hay for 3 cents/bale in the mid '60s..
we wuz in high cotton..all the baled up skunks, thorns, snakes and dusty low overhead haylofts we could stand.

You really were in high cotton!
3 cents a bale in '60s = nearly 25 cents a bale today
100 bales = $25
200 bales per hour and you were making $25 hr EACH
0 x

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:11 pm

Son of Butch wrote:
greybeard wrote: Brother and I were talking a few weeks ago..reminiscing about hauling hay for 3 cents/bale in the mid '60s..
we wuz in high cotton..all the baled up skunks, thorns, snakes and dusty low overhead haylofts we could stand.

You really were in high cotton!
3 cents a bale in '60s = nearly 25 cents a bale today
100 bales = $25
200 bales per hour and you were making $25 hr EACH

We worked in teams. There was a split. The truck got the biggest cut. When they started paying 12 cents a bale, I was making $30 to $40 a day and it was tax free money too.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

msplmtneer
Rancher
Rancher
Location: Where the rockets rattle your windows. Fl but my heart in WV.

Postby msplmtneer » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:12 am

When I said I started in hayfields at 12 I was already doing hay work for uncles, grandfather and our own place. I meant I hired out to other people helping put up their hay, build fence and work their cattle.
I also sold a weekly newspaper and received 5 cents a copy, by the time I was 14 I had my own checking account.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:49 am

The bad part about hiring help is not the $10 or $12 an hour... it's hoping they don't break some thing expensive.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”