Hired help, hourly wage?

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Hired help, hourly wage?

Postby TexasBred » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:53 am

msplmtneer wrote:When I said I started in hayfields at 12 I was already doing hay work for uncles, grandfather and our own place. I meant I hired out to other people helping put up their hay, build fence and work their cattle.
I also sold a weekly newspaper and received 5 cents a copy, by the time I was 14 I had my own checking account.

By the time I was 14 I had already written a hot check. My check writing abilities exceeded my math abilities. :lol: :lol: The bank did pay it and charged me $2.00 service charge. :???:
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:26 am

"What? I can't be out of money Al...I still have blank checks" (Peggy Bundy)
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:04 am

Brute 23 wrote:The bad part about hiring help is not the $10 or $12 an hour... it's hoping they don't break some thing expensive.

hah.. pretty much.. i always use the equipment, and work with them near 100% of the time.

I had a farm worker for a couple years @ 10.00 / hr.. he was very good at helping me and did a great job. had a lot of good ideas as well.
0 x

crop hail
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby crop hail » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:56 am

I drove a tractor all summer as soon as I was big enough ( about 10) for my dad mostly cutting and raking hay. Didn't get paid 1 dime but at the end of the summer just before school started, he told me how good of a help id been and took me to the gun store and bought me a Ruger 10-22. At the time, it was better than all the money in the world. My dad was proud of me and I had my own gun. To a 10 year old ranch kid, it doesn't get much better!!
0 x

john250
GURU
GURU

Postby john250 » Tue May 02, 2017 10:41 am

TexasBred wrote:
ez14. wrote:i started at 14 for $8.20 i now make $9.00 but there is not very many kids willing to do the work i do for the pay i get

M-5 wrote:You can get min wage to about 9bucks here at the swimming hole as a life guard or concession stand and watch bikini clad teenagers all day. I pay 10 /hr to pick up limbs or rake hay
where do i sign up to be a lifeguard? is there going to be a swimming test? im not real good at swimming so that could be a problem! :lol:

You're spoiled son. Do your "near drowning" thing close to one of the girls in the bikini...she'll take it from there. :lol: :lol: I started at 14 for $1 an hour. Only good thing was we worked 55 hrs. a week so I got a lot of overtime. End of summer I could buy all my school clothes etc and when college started I could pay for the 1st semester of college which was only a bit over $400 per semester, room and board included. Guess those were the "good ol' days". :nod:

Yes, but Grant was President.
0 x
Drain the Swamp!

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue May 02, 2017 10:46 am

john250 wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
ez14. wrote:i started at 14 for $8.20 i now make $9.00 but there is not very many kids willing to do the work i do for the pay i get

where do i sign up to be a lifeguard? is there going to be a swimming test? im not real good at swimming so that could be a problem! :lol:

You're spoiled son. Do your "near drowning" thing close to one of the girls in the bikini...she'll take it from there. :lol: :lol: I started at 14 for $1 an hour. Only good thing was we worked 55 hrs. a week so I got a lot of overtime. End of summer I could buy all my school clothes etc and when college started I could pay for the 1st semester of college which was only a bit over $400 per semester, room and board included. Guess those were the "good ol' days". :nod:

Yes, but Grant was President.

You just had to tell of on me. They had no idea. :lol: :lol:
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Wed May 10, 2017 8:41 pm

Stat published in Hoard's Dairyman this month...

Serious injury/death of employees under the age 16 is 33 times higher in agriculture than all other industries combined.

number 1 cause: Machinery
0 x

ez14.
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby ez14. » Wed May 10, 2017 8:52 pm

Son of Butch wrote:Stat published in Hoard's Dairyman this month...

Serious injury/death of employees under the age 16 is 33 times higher in agriculture than all other industries combined.

number 1 cause: Machinery

agriculture is the only job you can have under 16 in Michigan! doesn't make much sense to me but their the state they know all things we should just listen to them :nod:

you got to be carefull on a farm no matter how old you are
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”