Hired help, hourly wage?

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Re: Hired help, hourly wage?

Postby Stocker Steve » Tue May 22, 2018 3:10 pm

Dave wrote:For this I got sausage and eggs for breakfast and a hamburger for lunch.

The rancher should step up to beef steak and eggs.
0 x
Stocker Steve

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Tue May 22, 2018 6:14 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Dave wrote:For this I got sausage and eggs for breakfast and a hamburger for lunch.

The rancher should step up to beef steak and eggs.

He would pay for whatever I ordered. Yesterday being Monday the normal place is closed. The Monday place is good but pretty limited selection.
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Tue May 22, 2018 6:19 pm

Today we were going to gather 180 of them out of a canyon and push them about 6 miles down the county road to another pasture. Our third guy bailed on us at 8:30 last night. Pretty tough for two guys to do and then turn around and ride 6 miles back to the pickup. It is hot today too. So that plan got moved to Thursday.
0 x

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Wed May 23, 2018 6:20 am

Dave wrote:
TCRanch wrote: But there's a guy in town that retired early and works part time at the hardware store currently going out of business. Told me he'd love to help out for any odd job, just to keep him active/sane/motivated. Doesn't really have any ranching/fencing/heavy equipment experience but I would be hesitant (okay, embarrassed) to offer only $10 an hour when I pay a buttload for a professional to come in and get the job done. Thoughts?

I have been helping a rancher all winter and now well into spring. He buys me breakfast and lunch. I work about 4 days a week. My wife says I need to get a tee shirt that says, "Will Work For Food". For some of us it is more important to keep active and moving than it is to make money. In fact I told him that I wouldn't work for money. That way if it is 100 degrees out and he is building fence I can just go home. But yesterday I took a generator and an air compresser to a pasture with 4 connected tire tanks and blew out the lines. Then helped gather 20 fall pairs that we sorted. I hauled two loads to a pasture 5 miles away. For this I got sausage and eggs for breakfast and a hamburger for lunch.

This is ironic. I listened in on a speech given to some high school seniors yesterday about not letting people take advantage of them when it comes to working. One of the presenters said, “there are people who will try to get a week’s work out of you on a farm and convince you that buying your lunch and $20 a week is sufficient compensation; don’t fall for that.”

I know you’re doing it because you want to, but you would be durprised how many people will try to take advantage of a naive youngster.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed May 23, 2018 7:17 am

I listened in on a speech given to some high school seniors yesterday about not letting people take advantage of them when it comes to working.

Good deal!! :roll:
You should put that on your wall too. I sure wouldn't want the current generation to have to work too hard, especially for too little $$..pore little things have a long hard row to hoe as it is, with people expecting them to get out of bed before 10am and all.........
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Wed May 23, 2018 10:00 am

For our kids, anything they do for US or OUR sole farm operation, it is an obligation. Anything they do for the farms as a whole (grandpa, uncle)...laying out pipe for them, walking beans, hauling manure, is paid hourly or by the job...depending on what it is. But most young adults around here make about $10 an hour.

I prefer my kids to get paid by the job because I believe that encourages them to "get it done". If they want to take a whole week cutting cedar trees out of Grandpas pasture, that is on them. But an opportunity to make more, may have slipped by.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Wed May 23, 2018 10:47 am

herofan wrote:I listened in on a speech given to some high school seniors yesterday
One of the presenters said, “there are people who will try to get a week’s work out of you on a farm and
convince you that buying your lunch and $20 a week is sufficient compensation; don’t fall for that.”

Sounds like a presenter lacking in wisdom with nothing of importance to say, other than to knock farmers and instill
fear in the youth of America of a society that is out to screw you at any turn possible. What a send off for 17 year olds.
Sure hope he wasn't a paid presenter.
1 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed May 23, 2018 10:51 am

BINGO!! SoB. Presenter was probably afraid of work himself, has no idea what real work is and spent a good amount of his life tooling along the fringe Brute & Fence was talking about.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Thu May 24, 2018 9:46 am

Son of Butch wrote:
herofan wrote:I listened in on a speech given to some high school seniors yesterday
One of the presenters said, “there are people who will try to get a week’s work out of you on a farm and
convince you that buying your lunch and $20 a week is sufficient compensation; don’t fall for that.”

Sounds like a presenter lacking in wisdom with nothing of importance to say, other than to knock farmers and instill
fear in the youth of America of a society that is out to screw you at any turn possible. What a send off for 17 year olds.
Sure hope he wasn't a paid presenter.

Ok, maybe there is some misunderstanding here. There is a big-time farmer who is a teacher, and she agreed wholeheartedly, as did I. So, you are saying lunch and $20 a week is adequate for a recent graduate looking to start a career?

This speech was given to a smaller group, some of who were the higher functioning mentally challenged students; there have been instances where students in that situation were taken advantage of. I’ve know people to get a week’s worth of physical labor from one of those kids, (not always in the farm)and give them $30 for the week and call it good. That is ridiculous.

These are students who don’t always have the ability to understand finances and planning without some help, but they can do physical labor. Somebody with a sharp tongue will talk them out of getting a public job through their school work program. Instead, they flash some cash in front of them and convince them to come work for them for pennies. Those people are low in my opinion.
0 x

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Thu May 24, 2018 10:54 am

greybeard wrote:BINGO!! SoB. Presenter was probably afraid of work himself, has no idea what real work is and spent a good amount of his life tooling along the fringe Brute & Fence was talking about.

Maybe I misinterpreted Brute’s post. Although it could apply to anyone, I assumed he was also referring to some farmers who like to romantasize hard labor. Maybe a few of them didn’t work quite as hard as they say, otherwise they wouldn’t act like it was so wonderful and hope their kids could also go to bed every night with a broken back, bleeding hands, and barely able to move a muscle.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu May 24, 2018 1:53 pm

Sounds like the presenter was just saying to know your worth... maybe don't jump on the first offer that comes along.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Thu May 24, 2018 2:48 pm

Brute 23 wrote:Sounds like the presenter was just saying to know your worth... maybe don't jump on the first offer that comes along.

It could be, but like I said, some kids get taken advantage of simply because they don’t know any better, and if their parents are on the same level mentally, there is nobody to look out for them.

The comments were meant as a heads up to the students based on actual experiences that the presenter and teachers know about; it wasn’t just a random comment for filler.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu May 24, 2018 5:53 pm

herofan wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:Sounds like the presenter was just saying to know your worth... maybe don't jump on the first offer that comes along.

It could be, but like I said, some kids get taken advantage of simply because they don’t know any better, and if their parents are on the same level mentally, there is nobody to look out for them.

The comments were meant as a heads up to the students based on actual experiences that the presenter and teachers know about; it wasn’t just a random comment for filler.

For sure. I dont see any harm in what he said.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”