So ashamed. I forgot all about Earth Day.

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: So ashamed. I forgot all about Earth Day.

Postby greybeard » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:15 pm

Nope, doesn't change anything, because no matter what someone calls them, whether nice or benice, you can't fix stupid.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:56 pm

Look at how the successful earth savers live, they sure don't practice what they preach.
I do wish I'd of left the first line off but.....https://youtu.be/8EW3ULNYVho
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:45 pm

Bright Raven wrote:Jo stated:

...we need to use common sense and employ benefit cost analysis to things rather than do the typical knee jerk reactions our politicians typically do. To spend $5 million on figuring out the most environmentally friendly way to melt bags of ice in Louisiana after Katrina is just plain stupid and whether you are right or left every taxpayer should be outraged at this nonsense.

Not being facetious, but what is common sense to one person is a stupid act of incompetence to another. I have been involved in cases where the regulated party thought building a sedimentation pond was not an act of "common sense". Not everyone thinks a power plant is more important than a minnow. That is a fact Jack.

The world is never exactly what anyone wants it to be. We all live with that. One party wants to go North. The other party wants to go South. We all end up going east and west.

Cattle Today has a culture. I don't think I am unique in observing that. It is largely a Christian Conservative Culture. Yes, I have said that at least 5 times before this. Imagine if you will that the whole world is NOT a Christian Conservative Culture. Imagine that there are people who "sincerely" value a minnow or a rare orchid more than a power plant. To the culture of CT, they are "stupid idiots without common sense". So be it. Call them what ever strikes your fancy. The question is this: does your label for them change anything?

Ron, that doesn't even begin to make any sense. Enjoying your wine are you?
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:36 pm

Let the electricity go off for a few days and those ideologists will be beggin their neighbor to show them how to build a fire so they can roast that minnow, then chop him up over the salad they made out of the inner leaves of an otherwise spoiled head of lettuce, slap that orchid in between the pages of a dusty book they never intend to open again, and head on down to Lowes to stand in line like everyone else to buy one of those smoke belching, noisy as heck, petrol drinking generators and never feel a single pang of guilt about any of it.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:13 pm

Bumper sticker seen regularly around here: Earth First..... we will log the other planets later.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:13 am

The way I see it is that the irresponsibility of some leads to the overregulation of everyone.. Logging, Mining, Farming, Fishing, you name it.. it's the corporate culture of maximizing profits above all else until someone comes along and lays down the law, usually in an overbearing fashion.. If logging companies didn't need to replant what they logged they certainly wouldn't, and unfortunately, if some people weren't told not to drain the engine oil next to a creek, they would.
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:23 am

Nesikep wrote: if some people weren't told not to drain the engine oil next to a creek, they would.

Don't necessarily agree with this because I've heard of people making liquor just because the government says they can't because it will blind you or something if its not taxed properly.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:41 am

Jogeephus wrote:

...we need to use common sense and employ benefit cost analysis to things rather than do the typical knee jerk reactions our politicians typically do. To spend $5 million on figuring out the most environmentally friendly way to melt bags of ice in Louisiana after Katrina is just plain stupid and whether you are right or left every taxpayer should be outraged at this nonsense.

Not being facetious, but what is common sense to one person is a stupid act of incompetence to another. I have been involved in cases where the regulated party thought building a sedimentation pond was not an act of "common sense". Not everyone thinks a power plant is more important than a minnow. That is a fact Jack.

The world is never exactly what anyone wants it to be. We all live with that. One party wants to go North. The other party wants to go South. We all end up going east and west.

Cattle Today has a culture. I don't think I am unique in observing that. It is largely a Christian Conservative Culture. Yes, I have said that at least 5 times before this. Imagine if you will that the whole world is NOT a Christian Conservative Culture. Imagine that there are people who "sincerely" value a minnow or a rare orchid more than a power plant. To the culture of CT, they are "stupid idiots without common sense". So be it. Call them what ever strikes your fancy. The question is this: does your label for them change anything?

Ron, that doesn't even begin to make any sense.

That supports my point.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:37 am

Bright Raven wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:

I think what is considered common sense to one is directly proportional to how much money it will cost the person. Herein lies the problem. To those who aren't paying the bill, moving a pipe at a cost of $1.5 million because of a gopher hole is nothing. And, I'd like to beg to ask why didn't the "experts" find this when they wrote up and approved the environmental impact plan for the job? What were they doing? It wasn't but a 1300 foot run yet the impact plan was several inches thick and took months to complete. Did these experts not bother to visit the site or was it to hot to leave their offices? The Peter Principle is at its purist in government and that is a fact and sadly the taxpayer has to flip the bill.

True. I wish yellowjackets and snakes were on the endangered species list.

Cattle Today has a culture. I don't think I am unique in observing that. It is largely a Christian Conservative Culture. Yes, I have said that at least 5 times before this. Imagine if you will that the whole world is NOT a Christian Conservative Culture.

Pretty observant on your part. I imagine had the muslims come across on the Mayflower you'd be saying america was an intolerant fanatical islamic culture only I suspect the board would be name Goats Today. I kindof like my piece of the world the way it is and anyone who wants it different should move to Mogadishu or some other heavenly spot like this.

Imagine that there are people who "sincerely" value a minnow or a rare orchid more than a power plant. To the culture of CT, they are "stupid idiots without common sense". So be it. Call them what ever strikes your fancy. The question is this: does your label for them change anything?

All I have to do to witness this is drive up I-75 and look at the silt fencing installed at the top of the hills above the construction zones to confirm there are some real smart people pushing some of these environmental regulations. You mention sincerity, but how sincere do you think they would be if this was coming out of their pocket? Hypocrisy enjoys life on both sides of the isle.

That supports my point.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:47 am

Jogeephus wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:

That supports my point.

We are passing each other as ships lost in the fog.

You are debating. That is contrary to what I tried to communicate. It is obvious that your sense of things is not changing. That is not a criticism. My objective was to act as a facilitator so that you might appreciate that what seems so "right" to you, may be just as "wrong" to someone else.

This may be a waste of your time but this movie clip from Out of Africa speaks to the issue.

We often make the leap of faith that everyone else should believe what we believe, embrace our values and lifestyle.

https://youtu.be/wYEn-ZKSg_I
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:47 am

Tolerance = the loss of faith and principles.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:45 pm

What's right for them is fine by me as long as they pay for it and I don't. I've always felt stupidity and slothfulness should be painful but today many are not accountable for their actions and every child gets a trophy when in reality this is not the case.

Speaking of Africa, when I was a boy I remember seeing commercials on television asking for money to feed the hungry. Who was the compassionate one, the person who sent money to feed these people so they could have a passel of children whose faces you now see on television with their starving children or the one who didn't send any money and let nature take its course?

The point was, I think, is we need to do what is right for our children and grandchildren. Do we leave them broke by wasting money on an empty turtle hole or do we employ common sense and weigh the costs of our actions against the outcome. Though not often talked about this type logic through the use of the MaxMin program is what helped us combat the Nazis in WWII. It seems today all we do is club an issue with a duffle bag full of money and hope for the best and hope we don't offend someone.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

Jogeephus wrote:What's right for them is fine by me as long as they pay for it and I don't. I've always felt stupidity and slothfulness should be painful but today many are not accountable for their actions and every child gets a trophy when in reality this is not the case.

Speaking of Africa, when I was a boy I remember seeing commercials on television asking for money to feed the hungry. Who was the compassionate one, the person who sent money to feed these people so they could have a passel of children whose faces you now see on television with their starving children or the one who didn't send any money and let nature take its course?

The point was, I think, is we need to do what is right for our children and grandchildren. Do we leave them broke by wasting money on an empty turtle hole or do we employ common sense and weigh the costs of our actions against the outcome. Though not often talked about this type logic through the use of the MaxMin program is what helped us combat the Nazis in WWII. It seems today all we do is club an issue with a duffle bag full of money and hope for the best and hope we don't offend someone.

You are too preoccupied with fairness and economic position.

Release yourself. Find humor in all that troubles your mind and your burdens will be lifted.

Brother Bright Raven.
May the Bird Fly Forever.
0 x

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:27 pm

True Grit Farms wrote: Alternative power isn't cost effective and I sure don't want to pay what Canadians pay for fuel.

Alternative energy can produce clean, affordable electricity, but the startup costs are enormous (same with Nuclear, which is too bad b/c it's very clean, safe, and powerful). My wife works for a university that does a lot of work with wind, and tidal, turbine technology. One of the big problems is that no one wants it in their backyards, including the people who complain about nuclear and coal. Also, people get after it b/c a few birds are too stupid to not get caught in it. Also, we could retrain all the folks who have lost their jobs from coal being shutdown, and give them jobs manufacturing and repairing alternative fuel equipment.
0 x
How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book. ~Henry David Thoreau

HeII is other people. ~Sartre

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:43 pm

Bestoutwest wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote: Alternative power isn't cost effective and I sure don't want to pay what Canadians pay for fuel.

Alternative energy can produce clean, affordable electricity, but the startup costs are enormous (same with Nuclear, which is too bad b/c it's very clean, safe, and powerful). My wife works for a university that does a lot of work with wind, and tidal, turbine technology. One of the big problems is that no one wants it in their backyards, including the people who complain about nuclear and coal. Also, people get after it b/c a few birds are too stupid to not get caught in it. Also, we could retrain all the folks who have lost their jobs from coal being shutdown, and give them jobs manufacturing and repairing alternative fuel equipment.

Don't spoil this thread with information. Jo and I have been working for two days on this. Please keep it as ambiguous as possible.
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”