Looking for opinions about vehicles

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Re: Looking for opinions about vehicles

Postby hurleyjd » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:35 am

Craig Miller wrote:I have a 2013 ram 1500. I have been driving it to and from work since I bought it new. I put about 25-30000 miles a year on it. I'm at about 95000 right now. The warranty on the power train expires at 100000 as you probably know. Well this week I had to put a WCM in it to the tune of $650. Not covered under warranty. I also need to have new plugs and such put it. Normal 100000 mile maintenance at around 400 bucks. My mechanic buddy says some of these hemis are having valve seat failures just beyond warranty. Rebuilt motors are about $7000. I have about 39 payments on this one left. Im thinking about trading for a used car with extended Gm warranty. and buying an old truck for work here. What do you think?

How much is the total pay out for the 39 payments that are left. Any thing you buy will have to have parts replaced. I have a 2005 2500 hd Chevrolet. Been pretty good 181000 miles so far. One transfer case for the 4wd $1400 dollars. One water pump installed by mechanic I furnished the pump labor and pump was $250 dollars. One set of shocks all around $375. Wear and tear on the interior but still usable. I bought it in 2006 for a little over $18000. Really doubt that you can get enough for the pay off on your truck with 39 payments left.
0 x

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:17 am

I have a truck ('15 Ram 1500) and a car ('08 Elantra). The wife drives the car the majority of the time, and I don't like it when I have to. That being said the car gets about 40 MPG on the highway and the truck will get close to 20. The car also cost 1/2 of what the truck did new. I only buy new and always buy the warranty. I would have no idea where to start on 90% of the stuff, plus the parts are so expensive at this point it's cheaper to buy the warranty. On the truck it was $1,700 for bumper-to-bumper 100K miles. I've had it in three times for electronics issues that I have no idea what they would have cost to repair, but I know one was close to $300. Anything else decides to have an issue I just make a call and bring it in and they fix it, no questions asked.
0 x
How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book. ~Henry David Thoreau

HeII is other people. ~Sartre

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:37 am

Rafter S wrote:I've never bought an extended warranty. On anything. If a salesman gets pushy I'll tell him that if his product is so bad that it's likely to need enough repairs to cover the cost of the insurance then maybe I don't want it after all.

That's a good comeback!
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:42 am

hurleyjd wrote:
Craig Miller wrote:I have a 2013 ram 1500. I have been driving it to and from work since I bought it new. I put about 25-30000 miles a year on it. I'm at about 95000 right now. The warranty on the power train expires at 100000 as you probably know. Well this week I had to put a WCM in it to the tune of $650. Not covered under warranty. I also need to have new plugs and such put it. Normal 100000 mile maintenance at around 400 bucks. My mechanic buddy says some of these hemis are having valve seat failures just beyond warranty. Rebuilt motors are about $7000. I have about 39 payments on this one left. Im thinking about trading for a used car with extended Gm warranty. and buying an old truck for work here. What do you think?

How much is the total pay out for the 39 payments that are left. Any thing you buy will have to have parts replaced. I have a 2005 2500 hd Chevrolet. Been pretty good 181000 miles so far. One transfer case for the 4wd $1400 dollars. One water pump installed by mechanic I furnished the pump labor and pump was $250 dollars. One set of shocks all around $375. Wear and tear on the interior but still usable. I bought it in 2006 for a little over $18000. Really doubt that you can get enough for the pay off on your truck with 39 payments left.

Sorry that should say 30 payments. Right at 15000 left on it. I was looking this morning on nada and I owe a little less than I can get for trade in. So not upside down at all on it right now.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:46 am

Craig Miller wrote:
hurleyjd wrote:

Sorry that should say 30 payments. Right at 15000 left on it. I was looking this morning on nada and I owe a little less than I can get for trade in. So not upside down at all on it right now.

You will get 20% more on a private sale than NADA says. I spent 8 months looking for my F-250. Bought it used. Everything within 300 miles of here will beat NADA.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:23 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Rafter S wrote:I've never bought an extended warranty. On anything. If a salesman gets pushy I'll tell him that if his product is so bad that it's likely to need enough repairs to cover the cost of the insurance then maybe I don't want it after all.

That's a good comeback!

They will tell you to hit the road because there is not a vehicle out there that won't need a repair.

On the extended warranty deal never pay full price for it. Most of the time it is marked up 2 or 3 times the actual amount they can sell it for. I use that as a bargaining chip for them to seal the deal on the purchase. The reason the sales person will push it is because they get a big commission for selling the warranty.

The 100K mi extended warranty is a good deal if they discount it down or throw it in. You usually pay a $100 deductible no matter the cost of the repair. On my gauging trucks they were fixing tie rods, wheel hubs, even brakes because they said they wore out in an excessive amount of time. I would get calls from the warranty companies asking about my driving conditions and stuff. I told them I drive it just like they do in the commercials. That's what they are made for right or they wouldn't be doing it in their advertisements? :lol2: In a modern truck if the lumbar support goes out its $450.... the latch for the center console is $250.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:52 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

That's a good comeback!

They will tell you to hit the road because there is not a vehicle out there that won't need a repair.

I've never said they won't need repairing, just that I don't think they usually need enough to pay for the insurance. If they did then the folks selling the insurance would go out of business pretty quick.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

shaz
GURU
GURU

Postby shaz » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:46 pm

As much as you're driving you need a decent car. Trucks & Suvs tend to be the cheapest to insure but gas is a bigger factor considering the mileage your putting on.

Something with a hatchback will still haul feed bags and mineral (not firewood) and still get good mileage.
0 x
Grab the bull by the horns.....then what are you supposed to do?

Ryder
GURU
GURU

Postby Ryder » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:21 pm

I read somewhere that the best plan is to buy them at 4 yrs. and sell at 8.
Seems to make sense. Of course it depends on how much driving you do per year.
0 x
Ryder

Deo Vindice

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:58 pm

Thanks for all your opinions. I'm gonna have to think on it for a minute and make a decision. Another thing I consider is not only am I driving those miles per year but I'm driving it in big pieces at a time. A thousand miles one way. How many 2000$ trucks/cars are gonna run a thousand miles at 75 mile an hour and not give out on you?
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:09 pm

Craig Miller wrote:Thanks for all your opinions. I'm gonna have to think on it for a minute and make a decision. Another thing I consider is not only am I driving those miles per year but I'm driving it in big pieces at a time. A thousand miles one way. How many 2000$ trucks/cars are gonna run a thousand miles at 75 mile an hour and not give out on you?

True. Watch a few auto auctions before buying. The cars I buy for $7-1300 sell for $4-5000 on the lots. I'm not much of a salesman so I just drive them.
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:57 pm

greybeard wrote:What's the consensus opinions of buying extended OEM warranties on new vehicles? A waste of $$ or good insurance?

My experience:
I've always thought it an un-neccessary expense, as I worked most of my life as a mechanic and did my own repairs. Vehicles have simply gotten too complicated now and I wouldn't be able to fix much any more on one.
I've never bought extended warranty on a vehicle until I bought wife a new car in 2013. I'm older, and have of late tried to make things easier on her if the worst should happen to me.
Have had it in the dealership 3 times this year for serious transmission problems, and the warranty has paid for itself, but for most of my life and my other vehicles from the past, that would have not been true.
Do most folks pass on the extended warranties?

I turn them down the first time. Then I turn them down on their second price offer. Usually about the third offer, its worth the money. The dude back in financial makes a lot of money on those warranties. They are usually eager to sell you one.

Then there are the third parties constantly calling trying to sell you one. I hate those calls.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:04 pm

You might look at a Ford Flex. Great ride and pretty fair mileage. Lots of room. My wife and I was going to buy one and came close until she decided the 2009 Cadillac DTS as still good for a few more miles.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:34 pm

Then there are the third parties constantly calling trying to sell you one. I hate those calls.

"Hi, this is Heather with GM Warranty Division to remind you the warranty is about to expire on your Chevy Silverado...."

'Yeah Heather, that warranty expired a good while back ..2010 I think. You'd know that except you was probably still in Jr High school then..
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

chevytaHOE5674
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Tue May 02, 2017 12:24 am

Craig Miller wrote:How many 2000$ trucks/cars are gonna run a thousand miles at 75 mile an hour and not give out on you?

I figure my 07 chevy cobalt with 170k miles is worth maybe 3000 bucks. Just last week went on a 600 mile road trip in it at 70mph and got 39mpg cruising around. I've owned it since 19k miles and put tires, brakes, wheel bearings, tie rods, and steering rack on it. I wouldn't hesitate to take it across the country right now if I wanted to. Its all in how the vehicle has been maintained. I can't begin to count the tons of feed/lumber/T-posts/fence wire/etc that the car has hauled home because the nearest farm store is 70 miles one way from home.

Having a smaller car to commute in not only saves you in the gas department also saves in the maintenance department. Wheel bearings/brakes/oil changes/etc for my cobalt are 1/3 of the price that they are for my F-250, and don't even get me started on tires. I put 4 summer tires on my cobalt for just over the cost of one good truck tire.
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”