Dying Young in Kentucky

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
Clodhopper
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Dying Young in Kentucky

Postby Clodhopper » Tue May 09, 2017 7:50 am

Bright Raven wrote:
Clodhopper wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
You are more correct than you may realize. The By-Products of potable water chlorination are proven carcinogens.

I advise everyone to have a carbon filter for the water they use for drinking and cooking.

The EPA has required testing for Disinfection By-Products (DBP's) for this reason. My local water is always well below threshold in these categories. If anyone is worried about it, contact your local public water supply. They are required every year by law to provide consumers with a report (Consumer Confidence Report or CCR) detailing all water testing results. The system operator should be able to explain this report.

Exactly.

Not to hijack, but the EPA ain't all bad!

I would be interested to see the longest lived counties. Hamilton County, which is a little west and south of me, seems to have an abnormally high amount of 90 and 100 year olds in the local obituaries. It's unreal, sometimes there'll be a couple of deaths in a week of people past the century mark. The biggest town in the county is probably 2500-3000 souls.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue May 09, 2017 7:57 am

Clodhopper wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
Clodhopper wrote:The EPA has required testing for Disinfection By-Products (DBP's) for this reason. My local water is always well below threshold in these categories. If anyone is worried about it, contact your local public water supply. They are required every year by law to provide consumers with a report (Consumer Confidence Report or CCR) detailing all water testing results. The system operator should be able to explain this report.

Exactly.

I would be interested to see the longest lived counties. Hamilton County, which is a little west and south of me, seems to have an abnormally high amount of 90 and 100 year olds in the local obituaries. It's unreal, sometimes there'll be a couple of deaths in a week of people past the century mark. The biggest town in the county is probably 2500-3000 souls.

Mason County here on the banks of the Ohio has been the center of cancer studies due to the high cancer rate. Some say the water, others say the power plants. The Ohio was a cess pool for many years. There are other factors that were mentioned. Mason County has above normal alcohol consumption and smoking is still far above the national average.
0 x

Clodhopper
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Clodhopper » Tue May 09, 2017 8:05 am

Bright Raven wrote:
Clodhopper wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
Exactly.

Mason County here on the banks of the Ohio has been the center of cancer studies due to the high cancer rate. Some say the water, others say the power plants. The Ohio was a cess pool for many years. There are other factors that were mentioned. Mason County has above normal alcohol consumption and smoking is still far above the national average.

It seems our tristate area (Southern IL, Southern IN, Western KY) has an above average smoking level. I would say the use of chewing tobacco is even higher than smoking, but I don't hear much about that.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue May 09, 2017 5:23 pm

Just watched Lexington news coverage of the decrease in longevity in the 8 eastern Kentucky counties. Obesity and smoking were cited in addition to lack of access to health care.

The underlying reason was cited as POVERTY.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue May 09, 2017 5:33 pm

Bright Raven wrote:Just watched Lexington news coverage of the decrease in longevity in the 8 eastern Kentucky counties. Obesity and smoking were cited in addition to lack of access to health care.

Only in America can obesity, smoking and poverty be linked together.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue May 09, 2017 5:42 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:Just watched Lexington news coverage of the decrease in longevity in the 8 eastern Kentucky counties. Obesity and smoking were cited in addition to lack of access to health care.

Only in America can obesity, smoking and poverty be linked together.

I see your logic. My guess, it occurs in other countries.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue May 09, 2017 5:56 pm

Poverty and malnutrition seems like it goes hand in hand outside of the good olé US of A. Those that don't work should starve, and not be issued a handicap sticker because they're fat.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Tue May 09, 2017 9:19 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:Poverty and malnutrition seems like it goes hand in hand outside of the good olé US of A. Those that don't work should starve, and not be issued a handicap sticker because they're fat.

In the areas there and also many counties here in VA obesity is rapidly increasing. Even in smaller children. It's unreal how many 400 lb people I see.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue May 09, 2017 9:46 pm

kenny thomas wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Poverty and malnutrition seems like it goes hand in hand outside of the good olé US of A. Those that don't work should starve, and not be issued a handicap sticker because they're fat.

In the areas there and also many counties here in VA obesity is rapidly increasing. Even in smaller children. It's unreal how many 400 lb people I see.

Pretty common in rural east Texas as well due to many reasons as already stated. Seems like we losing an entire generation.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue May 09, 2017 9:48 pm

kenny thomas wrote:

I see it all over. Youngsters. I see kids in the 5th grade that must weigh 200 pounds. They must sit on the couch and eat junk food.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Tue May 09, 2017 9:54 pm

Many things have changed, first off we never had junk food. Barely had enough to eat. And if I acted a little lazy dad would hand me a hoe and say go to the tobacco patch. Any extra calories I could have gotten would have been worked off.
0 x

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Tue May 09, 2017 9:58 pm

A big thing that has changed is that back then it was a shame to have to get a welfare check or food stamps, the whole neighborhood would talk about the few that did. Somewhere along the way it became normal and now some are in the 3rd generation of drawing a check.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue May 09, 2017 9:58 pm

kenny thomas wrote:Many things have changed, first off we never had junk food. Barely had enough to eat. And if I acted a little lazy dad would hand me a hoe and say go to the tobacco patch. Any extra calories I could have gotten would have been worked off.

I still have this you should be familiar with as well. I hated hear dad tell me to go get it.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Tue May 09, 2017 10:01 pm

Still have one and also one with 3 feet.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed May 10, 2017 9:50 am

The U.S.A is known for having the fattest poor folks in the world. :shock:
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”