Farm accident kills 3 yr old child

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Farm accident kills 3 yr old child

Postby Son of Butch » Tue May 16, 2017 5:12 pm

Talk about sad news coming out of Wisconsin today...
A 3 year old was struck and killed by 5 year old brother driving a skid loader picking rock in a field with their mother.

I can't begin to imagine the grief that family must be experiencing.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Farm accident kills 3 yr old child

Postby Bright Raven » Tue May 16, 2017 5:28 pm

A nightmare!!! Not only the loss of the 3 year old but the guilt of placing the operation of a heavy piece of complex equipment in the care of a 5 year old! An absolute nightmare.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Tue May 16, 2017 5:32 pm

Bright Raven wrote:A nightmare!!! Not only the loss of the 3 year old but the guilt of placing the operation of a heavy piece of complex equipment in the care of a 5 year old! An absolute nightmare.

Its a sad situation but I don't see how the driver being 5 plays in.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Tue May 16, 2017 5:42 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:A nightmare!!! Not only the loss of the 3 year old but the guilt of placing the operation of a heavy piece of complex equipment in the care of a 5 year old! An absolute nightmare.

Not sure I'm following, but if a 5 yr old was truly driving any piece of equipment on his on it's ........ no 5 yr old should drive anything except a bike, tricycle or battery operated little kid toy.
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue May 16, 2017 5:45 pm

Brute 23 wrote:

I am only wondering as a parent if the mother will blame herself for trusting a 5 year old to run a skid steer. That is pretty young to even allow them to operate a tractor.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue May 16, 2017 5:46 pm

Alan wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:

Not sure I'm following, but if a 5 yr old was truly driving any piece of equipment on his on it's ........ no 5 yr old should drive anything except a bike, tricycle or battery operated little kid toy.

That was my concern and that the mother might have a sense of guilt.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Tue May 16, 2017 5:48 pm

Brute 23 wrote:

I know, I know ya'll down south have been safely operating farm equipment since you were four years old.

A 5 yr old knows right from wrong and will carry the guilt of an oops resulting death for the rest of his life.
What he probably won't ever comprehend is that it isn't his fault that his brother is dead.
The fault lies with the parents poor judgment that put him in a position to cause such an awful oops!
Last edited by Son of Butch on Tue May 16, 2017 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue May 16, 2017 5:51 pm

Son of Butch wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:

I know, I know ya'll down south have been safely operating farm equipment since you were four years old.

A 5 yr old knows right from wrong and will carry the guilt of an oops resulting death for the rest of his life.
What he probably won't ever comprehend is it isn't his fault that his brother is dead.
The fault lies with the parents poor judgment that put him in a position to cause such an awful oops!

Tragedy regardless. I think the mother will care some guilt too.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Tue May 16, 2017 5:54 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Son of Butch wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:

What he probably won't ever comprehend is that it isn't his fault that his brother is dead.

Tragedy regardless. I think the mother will carry some guilt too.

As well she should! But I wouldn't wish that type of grief on anyone.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Tue May 16, 2017 5:59 pm

No, its not uncommon for a 5 year old to do things of that nature. The little guy was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Its just part of life, sad things happen. He just as easily could have been killed in a car accident on the way to the grocery store. Its not always some one fault.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Tue May 16, 2017 6:03 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Son of Butch wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:

What he probably won't ever comprehend is it isn't his fault that his brother is dead.

Tragedy regardless. I think the mother will care some guilt too.

Some guilt??? She's lucky if she doesn't end up facing charges.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue May 16, 2017 6:09 pm

That is terrible. What on earth was this mother thinking?
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Tue May 16, 2017 6:10 pm

Brute 23 wrote:No, its not uncommon for a 5 year old to do things of that nature. The little guy was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Its just part of life, sad things happen. He just as easily could have been killed in a car accident on the way to the grocery store. Its not always some one fault.

I should be lurking and not posting........ but WOW! The kid is just out of diapers by a couple of years..... your wrong
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Tue May 16, 2017 6:11 pm

Brute 23 wrote:No, its not uncommon for a 5 year old to do things of that nature. The little guy was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Its just part of life, sad things happen. He just as easily could have been killed in a car accident on the way to the grocery store. Its not always some one fault.

Actually it almost always is. But I guess Texans just don't believe in taking personal responsibility.

A parent's number one responsibility is care and protection of their children, not the development of a 3 year old's
skill to pick cotton or rocks. As much as my heart goes out to her, this mother failed miserably on multiple counts.
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Tue May 16, 2017 6:15 pm

I don't think the issue is with the 5 yr old driving the skidsteer rightly or wrongly but if you do choose to let them operate it and I am one that would probably let my grandson do it then you must ensure that they do it in a safe environment for themselves and anyone around. The 3yr old should not have been within cooee distance of the machine.

Ken
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”