Farm accident kills 3 yr old child

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
Alan
GURU
GURU

Re: Farm accident kills 3 yr old child

Postby Alan » Tue May 16, 2017 6:27 pm

wbvs58 wrote:I don't think the issue is with the 5 yr old driving the skidsteer rightly or wrongly but if you do choose to let them operate it and I am one that would probably let my grandson do it then you must ensure that they do it in a safe environment for themselves and anyone around. The 3yr old should not have been within cooee distance of the machine.

Ken

I haven't posted in a while, but I feel the need to reply...again. I disagree, one of my sons showed my 7 year old granddaughter where the gas throttle was on the 4 wheeler and how to start it. Her farther jumped on the back with her up front, she started it and dump him off the back, she let go of everything and dad didn't get hurt. Her uncle that showed her how to, got an ear full from me and I locked the key in my safe. Small kids can steer with an adult on board but has no business driving or operating equipment.
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

OwnedByTheCow
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby OwnedByTheCow » Tue May 16, 2017 6:53 pm

The mother certainly had a part in the disaster. Although we don't know every detail there could be parts they are leaving out. News has a tendency to do that.
Not matter if it was or was not the mothers fault it is something she shouldn't have to go through.
0 x
An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.
Ghandi

Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Tue May 16, 2017 7:04 pm

So sad. I can't even imagine what this family is going through. My daughter is 3 1/2 and is my world. She is often in the skid steer and tractor WITH me. I figure if someone is moving a piece of equipment, be it car/truck, semi, tractor, skid steer or whatever, she is safer in it with an adult than on the ground around it. She can steer stuff pretty well at this point, just because of the sheer number of hours she has spent in equipment with her family, but I would never let her drive any of it by herself for many years to come yet. Just a risk I can't see taking....
0 x
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue May 16, 2017 7:24 pm

My family and I were just dang lucky I guess. We started our kids off way to young, but I didn't want to hold them back.
I can't imagine the pain that family is enduring.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Tue May 16, 2017 8:23 pm

It doesn't matter if you start at 5, 8, or 50. You have to start some time and there are risks.

No doubt some thing went wrong. I had enough close calls as a kid that could have easily been me.

No matter how great of parents people pretend to be on the enet, as a parent, we know how tough it is to control a child every single second of the day. If you think you are that perfect you are fooling yourself. There was not enough info give to start making assumptions about the mother or the situation.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Tue May 16, 2017 8:42 pm

Brute 23 wrote:There was not enough info give to start making assumptions about the mother or the situation.

Average Texan blames the 3 yr old for not carrying, so he could have defended himself from 5 yr old brother.

This modern generation of 3 year olds are just totally useless. Wanting their Mommas to wipe their noses and
coddle 'em. In my day we 3 year olds picked the front 20 clean before breakfast and if the back 40 wasn't done
by night fall no bottle for you, even if daddy got his..
Last edited by Son of Butch on Tue May 16, 2017 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Tue May 16, 2017 9:04 pm

Brute 23 wrote: There was not enough info give to start making assumptions about the mother or the situation.

Exactly!
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Tue May 16, 2017 9:09 pm

I'm sorry but I can not condemn this woman from that little bit of info. I may be biased because all I can picture is my mom trying to do the job of a man and a mom with my brother and I in tow. I think most real farm and ranch mom's know the feeling. I admire my mom and the other moms out there doing the best they can.

Did she bite off more than she could chew? Maybe... but that's better than the countless kids that get killed every day from parents who don't give 2 chits about them. I see a lady trying to better her kids, teach the work ethic, pride, how to do things.

I've said my peace. I pray none of yall "holier than thou" parents are ever in this situation.

... and yes at 5yrs old I was driving trucks and tractors feeding hay. At 8yrs old I was working on a work over rig (Google that if you think a skid steer is bad) for my family... And I wouldnt have it any other way.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

ez14.
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby ez14. » Tue May 16, 2017 9:32 pm

Son of Butch wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:No, its not uncommon for a 5 year old to do things of that nature. The little guy was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Its just part of life, sad things happen. He just as easily could have been killed in a car accident on the way to the grocery store. Its not always some one fault.

Actually it almost always is. But I guess Texans just don't believe in taking personal responsibility.

A parent's number one responsibility is care and protection of their children, not the development of a 3 year old's
skill to pick cotton or rocks. As much as my heart goes out to her, this mother failed miserably on multiple counts.
a parents number one responsibility may be the care and protection of their children! but the development of a good work ethic is a close second! and that starts young! and a skid steer is a easy piece of equipment to operate! and out in a field picking rocks is a great place to start! but not around such a small child

wbvs58 wrote:I don't think the issue is with the 5 yr old driving the skidsteer rightly or wrongly but if you do choose to let them operate it and I am one that would probably let my grandson do it then you must ensure that they do it in a safe environment for themselves and anyone around. The 3yr old should not have been within cooee distance of the machine.

Ken

you got that right there is nothing wrong with a 5 y/o driving a skid steer but he shouldn't have been driving around someone that was unable to get out of the way quickly
0 x

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Tue May 16, 2017 9:38 pm

Bad deal
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Tue May 16, 2017 10:11 pm

Brute 23 wrote:No, its not uncommon for a 5 year old to do things of that nature.
To hit and kill 3 yr old with machinery by 5 yr old is common in Texas?

The little guy was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Blame the 3 yr old... yup he shoulda knowed better.

Its just part of life, sad things happen.
Clever word play on... Shxt happens... how very elegant.

He just as easily could have been killed in a car accident on the way to the grocery store.
Or killed playing in the street after arriving at the grocery store. (Certainly no fault in either case.)

Its not always some one fault.
Really!?! 3 year old being killed not always someone's fault? ... again blame the 3 yr old.
I hadn't considered the possibility of suicide.... I guess If you say so.
r.i.p. little fellow r.i.p.
:(
Last edited by Son of Butch on Tue May 16, 2017 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Tue May 16, 2017 10:14 pm

There isn't a 5-year old anywhere in the world that should be allowed to operate a skid steer.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

ez14.
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby ez14. » Tue May 16, 2017 11:05 pm

Rafter S wrote:There isn't a 5-year old anywhere in the world that should be allowed to operate a skid steer.
he should not have been operating it near a three-year old! But a skid steer is very easy to operate and the middle of a field is a very safe place to do it (not with a three-year year old around but under most circumstances) with this very unfortunate situation I'm sure it will probably change how a skid steer is used around there. But if it wasn't for this the kid would probably be the best skid steer operator around by the time he was 8
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Wed May 17, 2017 1:44 am

ez14. wrote:a skid steer is very easy to operate

Beyond ridiculous. It would be much nearer the truth to say it's very easy for the skid steer operator to get theirself killed while operating one. I don't know about the rest of the skid steers in the world but the one I have has 10 different ways of movement when using the grapple attachment. Left, right, forward, backward, up, down, tilt forward, tilt backward, open, close. No one should be anywhere near a skid steer when its working. They drop things, stuff falls off, they lurch unexpectedly left, right, forward and backward, the grapple can get overloaded and cause the whole machine to fall forward. Especially, nobody should be behind a skid steer when it's running, they are constantly changing direction and the driver doesn't know and can't see what's walked up behind them. Skid steers are a long, long way from being easy or safe to operate.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Wed May 17, 2017 2:24 am

Lots of folks on here are plenty quick to bash city parents for not adequately supervising/tending their children. I can't support a double standard/hypocrisy, even though I sure do feel for that mother. And the 5 yo. Wouldn't wish that pain on anyone.
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”