Farm accident kills 3 yr old child

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Farm accident kills 3 yr old child

Postby Bright Raven » Wed May 17, 2017 5:43 am

No debate: the facts speak louder than anyone. Would the mother let the 5 year old run the skid steer if by some miracle she had this day to live again?
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Wed May 17, 2017 5:45 am

I've operated skid steers, and I stand by my statement that no 5-year-old should be.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Wed May 17, 2017 6:10 am

It's a tragic thing, can't say accident, it was careless and reckless. The thing I find interesting, as I found before on Internet forums, is the extreme difference of opinion on certain things. I found plenty of links by a simple google, no real info other than what we know. Again, a young child does not belong driving a skid steer. I would think child services have already pounded on moms door and will decide if it was a thoughtless reckless act that killed her other son. Kindergarten not skid steer operator.
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Wed May 17, 2017 6:29 am

Rafter S wrote:I've operated skid steers, and I stand by my statement that no 5-year-old should be.

Some things are so obvious you wouldn't think they would need to be said. I agree with you Rafter.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Wed May 17, 2017 6:44 am

devastating. I just had a farm accident..its not easy to judge not knowing details but I wouldn't let my 5 yr old run a skid. but most wouldn't let their 10 yr old swing gates in a cow pen either. or run 60 mph quads thru the woods. its common for us

im sure at the time she thought things were safe. kids fall in the pool and drown...its not always someones fault
0 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

ez14.
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby ez14. » Wed May 17, 2017 6:59 am

ga.prime wrote:
ez14. wrote:a skid steer is very easy to operate

Beyond ridiculous. It would be much nearer the truth to say it's very easy for the skid steer operator to get theirself killed while operating one. I don't know about the rest of the skid steers in the world but the one I have has 10 different ways of movement when using the grapple attachment. Left, right, forward, backward, up, down, tilt forward, tilt backward, open, close. No one should be anywhere near a skid steer when its working. They drop things, stuff falls off, they lurch unexpectedly left, right, forward and backward, the grapple can get overloaded and cause the whole machine to fall forward. Especially, nobody should be behind a skid steer when it's running, they are constantly changing direction and the driver doesn't know and can't see what's walked up behind them. Skid steers are a long, long way from being easy or safe to operate.

i dont really know but id be willing to bet he wasn't using a grapple. probably a bucket driving slow behind mom while she throws rocks in. he probably didn't have to lift lower or tilt the bucket just follow mom (again im just guessing) push the handles forward pull the handles back that's pretty dang easy! and a lot nicer then putting a tractor in 1st gear and letting it drive behind you they never stay straight you are constantly having to jump on and turn it back to where you want to go
0 x

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Wed May 17, 2017 8:56 am

I don't want to second guess Mom. It's a terrible thing, that will be very hard or impossible to live with.

With that said, operating a skid steer is probably the safest thing there is to start a kid on. He's not gonna fall off and run over himself, would have to screw up real bad to turn it over on flat ground. I don't see what the big tiff is about a kid learning how to do something? You guys getting all bent never have a comment about young people not having skills, or not wanting to learn, or being lazy snowflakes? Do we need to go back and look? Lighten up Francis', and teach your kids how to do something.

I didn't start my operating on a lawn mower. I started on an Ford Ferguson 30, with the small be nice fenders, and had to stand up on the clutch to mash it down, at about 8 yo, fiddling around with it in an open field. My four wheeler. Graduated to full field work on an Oliver 77 at ten yo, with the tiny be nice fenders and tricycle front end. Papaw would stand on the drawbar with his foot up on the clutch, me in the seat. I give it a little gas, he'd let out on it and step away. I'd throw the gas to it. At lunch or quitting time, or anytime I needed to sure enough stop, I'd put it at idle and choke it down. Couldn't clutch it, too stiff, and I couldn't get up on the pedal with my weight like I could the 30. Dangerous, yes. But preparation and conditions are very important to control the best you can. Nobody will convince me that my Papaw ever had anything but my best interest in mind, my whole life. But, I understand that I could still be dead. lol
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed May 17, 2017 10:18 am

wow, sad deal all around.. I really don't think I"d be letting a kid that young drive a skid steer.. as has been said before, they're easy to operate, but jumpy and dangerous... I"m not in a position to blame anyone.
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Wed May 17, 2017 10:56 am

I would venture to say most that are throwing a hissy fit were not raised on a working farm in the 40's 50's 60's 70' or even early 80's . Its far more common than you think and more dangerous for the adult that has to climb on the moving tractor to stop or clutch it.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Wed May 17, 2017 11:08 am

Ones I have ran are slow and soggy as be nice when at idle. WAO, they are jumpy.

Mom is gonna have a hard time I bet. I hate it for her. All involved.
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed May 17, 2017 11:12 am

M-5 wrote:I would venture to say most that are throwing a hissy fit were not raised on a working farm in the 40's 50's 60's 70' or even early 80's . Its far more common than you think and more dangerous for the adult that has to climb on the moving tractor to stop or clutch it.

I was born 1950. We were subsistence farmers. That means, you produce or you don't eat. I cannot imagine too many who occupy this forum who lived like we did. One that comes to mind is Kenny Thomas. As strict as my father was, he was not foolish when it came to life and limb.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Wed May 17, 2017 11:46 am

Bright Raven wrote:
M-5 wrote:I would venture to say most that are throwing a hissy fit were not raised on a working farm in the 40's 50's 60's 70' or even early 80's . Its far more common than you think and more dangerous for the adult that has to climb on the moving tractor to stop or clutch it.

I was born 1950. We were subsistence farmers. That means, you produce or you don't eat. I cannot imagine too many who occupy this forum who lived like we did. One that comes to mind is Kenny Thomas. As strict as my father was, he was not foolish when it came to life and limb.

how old were you following behind the mule ??
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed May 17, 2017 11:51 am

M-5 wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

We had a mule when I was about 4. Jack. A tornado blew the top off the horse stable in 1955. Jack would never go back into the barn. Dad put a 20 foot chain on his halter so he could catch him. The mule was never the same. Sold him to Ole Man Toliver.

I drove the horses (Belgian mares) when I was 6. Only pulling a wagon or dragging ground. Dad never put us in a dangerous situation. He wouldn't let us pull logs, use a sickle mower, etc until we got older.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Wed May 17, 2017 12:11 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
M-5 wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

We had a mule when I was about 4. Jack. A tornado blew the top off the horse stable in 1955. Jack would never go back into the barn. Dad put a 20 foot chain on his halter so he could catch him. The mule was never the same. Sold him to Ole Man Toliver.

I drove the horses (Belgian mares) when I was 6. Only pulling a wagon or dragging ground. Dad never put us in a dangerous situation. He wouldn't let us pull logs, use a sickle mower, etc until we got older.

The only thing different is technology but in every aspect steering a team and steering a skid steer is no different
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed May 17, 2017 12:23 pm

I see people sticking there 3, 4, 5 yr olds on horses all the time and leading the horses around. Does it make me cringe? You bet it does! At the end of the day though its their kids, their horse, and their choice they will have to take responsibility for. I'm not going to preach and holler at them. I've seen those youngsters grow up to be some heck of a cowboys and cowgirls so who am I to say other wise.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”