Kids and farm equipment, how old? -poll

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.

How old is old enough for the average child to operate farm equipment?

If their out of diapers get their butts to work
8%
No votes
2%
10%
8%
8%
3%
15%
7%
Above 12
37%

Total votes: 59

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Kids and farm equipment, how old? -poll

Postby Bright Raven » Mon May 22, 2017 4:52 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:My daughter is 9. She's been sitting in my lap to run skid steers for probably 5 years or so. I've been letting her run one by herself(I stay close by) for a year or two now, but not throttled up, and only in CAT's on tracks......VERY smooth to operate. She steers the semi for me on the back roads, drives and docks the boats, knows the basics of driving a post and stretching wire, and knows what $20k in cash feels like in her hands. I've tried to expose her to as much as possible to prepare her for what's to come. My wife and I both want for her to understand what it takes to be successful, and are willing to do whatever it takes to show her the best we can. Not every 9 year old is mature enough to have those conversations and lessons, but at the same time, some kids are ready for it at the age of 5. There is just no way to answer the survey, as quite simply, every situation is different.

Sure wish you'd have talked to my ol' Dad....he did give me a job at 14 and I thought tried to work me to death. The day I got married he handed me a long list of every check I had ever written during college and fully expected to be paid back. Took a while making $200 a month but finally got him paid. Can't remember if he said thanks or not. Heard him say "I love you" for the first time when I was 43 and though mom was gonna knock him in the head to get it out of him then. He was a good man and I loved him dearly....just very hard.

TB. Our fathers are members of that generation that could not say "I love you". But somewhere in the course of Dad's later years, I reached a state of tranquility with him. During the time he was in the nursing home, I picked him up and brought him to my farm a couple times a week. That was my best time with my dad. The fire had mellowed. He loved riding in my cub cadet and seeing the cows and farm. It was cute to hear him look at one of my raised heifers and say, "Ron, I never seen a better heifer in my life." I wish he could see the calves I have now. I truly miss his visits.
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Mon May 22, 2017 10:36 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:Can't remember if he said thanks or not. Heard him say "I love you" for the first time when I was 43 and though mom was gonna knock him in the head to get it out of him then. He was a good man and I loved him dearly....just very hard.

TB. Our fathers are members of that generation that could not say "I love you". But somewhere in the course of Dad's later years, I reached a state of tranquility with him. During the time he was in the nursing home, I picked him up and brought him to my farm a couple times a week. That was my best time with my dad. The fire had mellowed. He loved riding in my cub cadet and seeing the cows and farm. It was cute to hear him look at one of my raised heifers and say, "Ron, I never seen a better heifer in my life." I wish he could see the calves I have now. I truly miss his visits.

fine line between "hard" and "mean" sometimes. And other time's there's a canyon.
I'd have taken "hard" and been quite glad for it.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon May 22, 2017 11:26 pm

My father said "I love you".
Then he took my only cold beer............
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue May 23, 2017 6:12 am

greybeard wrote:My father said "I love you".

:lol:
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue May 23, 2017 8:14 am

Bright Raven wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:My daughter is 9. She's been sitting in my lap to run skid steers for probably 5 years or so. I've been letting her run one by herself(I stay close by) for a year or two now, but not throttled up, and only in CAT's on tracks......VERY smooth to operate. She steers the semi for me on the back roads, drives and docks the boats, knows the basics of driving a post and stretching wire, and knows what $20k in cash feels like in her hands. I've tried to expose her to as much as possible to prepare her for what's to come. My wife and I both want for her to understand what it takes to be successful, and are willing to do whatever it takes to show her the best we can. Not every 9 year old is mature enough to have those conversations and lessons, but at the same time, some kids are ready for it at the age of 5. There is just no way to answer the survey, as quite simply, every situation is different.

Sure wish you'd have talked to my ol' Dad....he did give me a job at 14 and I thought tried to work me to death. The day I got married he handed me a long list of every check I had ever written during college and fully expected to be paid back. Took a while making $200 a month but finally got him paid. Can't remember if he said thanks or not. Heard him say "I love you" for the first time when I was 43 and though mom was gonna knock him in the head to get it out of him then. He was a good man and I loved him dearly....just very hard.

My Dad WAS a real hard be nice when I was a kid. I was working at the age of 7. He also rewarded hard work, and signed for me to by my first piece of ground when I was 16. Just as he rewarded hard work, jacking around was "rewarded", as well. He lost his hard edge when my younger sister was killed in a car crash. She was 17, I was 20, and my Dad was pretty close to my age today. He really softened when my daughter came along, and it's been fun to watch. I am really lucky to have my Dad around full time. When he and Mom retired, they moved down to a little house on 20 acres that we'd renovated for them, and it's nice to have them just a few miles away. He's slow and tears things up, but riding through the cows on the Mule with a cold beer sure is fun.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue May 23, 2017 8:15 am

Brother, is that you? :lol:
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue May 23, 2017 8:53 am

You wouldn't have had it any other way. :clap:
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Tue May 23, 2017 1:58 pm

My Grandpa was driving a 1 ton dump truck for hire when he was 12 years old.

Would love to see the look on a DOT agents face if that happen nowadays.
0 x
Red Bull Breeder wrote:So Queenie works ok now?

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Tue May 23, 2017 2:11 pm

sim.-ang.king wrote:My Grandpa was driving a 1 ton dump truck for hire when he was 12 years old.

Soo ya come from a long line of criminals... eh?
He probably drove past my Grandpa walking to and from school up hill both ways and you should've seen the size
of the fish he caught..... (because nobody else ever did.)
Some folks collect huge dividends when making withdrawals from their memory banks. :)
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue May 23, 2017 2:21 pm

Son of Butch wrote:
sim.-ang.king wrote:My Grandpa was driving a 1 ton dump truck for hire when he was 12 years old.

Soo ya come from a long line of criminals... eh?
He probably drove past my Grandpa walking to and from school up hill both ways and you should've seen the size
of the fish he caught..... (because nobody else ever did.)
Some folks collect huge dividends when making withdrawals from their memory banks. :)

:clap: :clap:

Sometimes you have to patronize.

I read his post and when I got to yours, it looked like you read my mind!

My dad swore to his dying day that his brother lost his finger working on a manure spreader. They got him back from the Doctor and into the house and he was in awful pain. Dad said they went to the shed where he lost his finger and a cat was sitting there chewing on it. They got the finger away from the cat and Uncle Sylvester was fine!
0 x

shaz
GURU
GURU

Postby shaz » Tue May 23, 2017 3:03 pm

I really wish my dad would tear up something of mine that was really valuable and leave me stuck fixing it. If he did that 100 times we might be even.
0 x
Grab the bull by the horns.....then what are you supposed to do?

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Tue May 23, 2017 3:47 pm

Yall think because yall didn't do things that young that no one else has... or should.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue May 23, 2017 4:03 pm

Brute 23 wrote:Yall think because yall didn't do things that young that no one else has... or should.

I hope no one is taking this thread seriously! It is purely entertainment. Just read the original post. Surely, you see the comedy in the poll. Right?

Just look at the first line in the poll!

If their out of diapers get their butts to work.

Regarding your question. No, I didn't do some of the things you did because when I grew up the wheel was only a recent invention of a Neolithic man named Abbot the Guch.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue May 23, 2017 4:24 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:Yall think because yall didn't do things that young that no one else has... or should.

I hope no one is taking this thread seriously! It is purely entertainment. Just read the original post. Surely, you see the comedy in the poll. Right?

Regarding your question. No, I didn't do some of the things you did because when I grew up the wheel was only a recent invention of a Neolithic man named Abbot the Guch.

Wonder who first connected two wheels??
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue May 23, 2017 4:45 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

Wonder who first connected two wheels??

TB, its a little known piece of ancient history. Two Neolithic men were arguing over whether they should retain their replacement aurochs or buy them bred from the clan in the next cave. One got mad and threw a spear at the other. He missed but it hit right square in the center of a wooden wheel. Someone decided to put a wheel on the other end of the spear and the axle was born.
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”