Kids and farm equipment, how old? -poll

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.

How old is old enough for the average child to operate farm equipment?

If their out of diapers get their butts to work
8%
No votes
2%
10%
8%
8%
3%
15%
7%
Above 12
37%

Total votes: 59

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Kids and farm equipment, how old? -poll

Postby TexasBred » Tue May 23, 2017 4:50 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
I hope no one is taking this thread seriously! It is purely entertainment. Just read the original post. Surely, you see the comedy in the poll. Right?

Just look at the first line in the poll!

If their out of diapers get their butts to work.

Regarding your question. No, I didn't do some of the things you did because when I grew up the wheel was only a recent invention of a Neolithic man named Abbot the Guch.

Wonder who first connected two wheels??

TB, its a little known piece of ancient history. Two Neolithic men were arguing over whether they should retain their replacement aurochs or buy them bred from the clan in the next cave. One got mad and threw a spear at the other. He missed but it hit right square in the center of a wooden wheel. Someone decided to put a wheel on the other end of the spear and the axle was born.

OMG....the first summit ever held resulted in a weapon of war being turned it into a vehicle for travel. Amazing. :lol:
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue May 23, 2017 5:02 pm

I retired from working in the Texas oil fields at 2 and took my pension and my gold watch and began working in a uranium mine a few miles north of Baykonur, Kazakhstan where it was much cooler and not such a long walk to work. Nothing worse than having to drink Similac that's been sitting in the hot Texas sun all day. The temperature in the mine was ideal for keeping my lunch at the perfect temperature with no sun soured taste whatsoever.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue May 23, 2017 5:26 pm

Jogeephus wrote:I retired from working in the Texas oil fields at 2 and took my pension and my gold watch and began working in a uranium mine a few miles north of Baykonur, Kazakhstan where it was much cooler and not such a long walk to work. Nothing worse than having to drink Similac that's been sitting in the hot Texas sun all day. The temperature in the mine was ideal for keeping my lunch at the perfect temperature with no sun soured taste whatsoever.

LMAO
0 x

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Tue May 23, 2017 6:31 pm

Son of Butch wrote:
sim.-ang.king wrote:My Grandpa was driving a 1 ton dump truck for hire when he was 12 years old.

Soo ya come from a long line of criminals... eh?
He probably drove past my Grandpa walking to and from school up hill both ways and you should've seen the size
of the fish he caught..... (because nobody else ever did.)
Some folks collect huge dividends when making withdrawals from their memory banks. :)

Wow! I had no clue we had a late 1910's Illinois law expert on CT.
I bet you are also an expert on the Inca Tribal Law, and know who is buried in Grant's tomb.
;-) :lol: :dunce:
0 x
Red Bull Breeder wrote:So Queenie works ok now?

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Tue May 23, 2017 6:54 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:Yall think because yall didn't do things that young that no one else has... or should.

I hope no one is taking this thread seriously! It is purely entertainment. Just read the original post. Surely, you see the comedy in the poll. Right?

Just look at the first line in the poll!

If their out of diapers get their butts to work.

Regarding your question. No, I didn't do some of the things you did because when I grew up the wheel was only a recent invention of a Neolithic man named Abbot the Guch.

Guess I missed that. That is actually a common saying around here.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Tue May 23, 2017 7:34 pm

sim.-ang.king wrote:
Son of Butch wrote:
sim.-ang.king wrote:My Grandpa was driving a 1 ton dump truck for hire when he was 12 years old.

He probably drove past my Grandpa walking to and from school up hill both ways and you should've seen the size
Some folks collect huge dividends when making withdrawals from their memory banks. :)

I bet you are also an expert on the Inca Tribal Law, and know who is buried in Grant's tomb.

And you know it's all true... because you rode along side him?
or did you mean Grandpa drove dump truck for hire when you were 12?
Some people believe anything a family member says.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Tue May 23, 2017 7:38 pm

TexasBred wrote:OMG....the first summit ever held resulted in a weapon of war being turned it into a vehicle for travel. Amazing. :lol:

Yup... biggest advances in technology has always come from wars.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue May 23, 2017 7:47 pm

Son of Butch wrote:
sim.-ang.king wrote:
Son of Butch wrote:Soo ya come from a long line of criminals... eh?

And you know it's all true... because you rode along side him?
or did you mean Grandpa drove dump truck for hire when you were 12?
Some people believe anything a family member says.

You better believe it, my Grandpa told me. So I know dam well its true. Lol
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue May 23, 2017 7:53 pm

sim.-ang.king wrote:
Son of Butch wrote:

Sim: I have a law degree in Inca Tribal Law. It is illegal to come onto this forum and perpetuate untruths about what your grandpa did.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue May 23, 2017 10:29 pm

Supposedly raised on a Indian reservation near Hayward WI, left home at 13 to work for the railroad, then off to WWI, then to USPS delivering mail and ramrodding logging camps through out northern WI and MN. Homesteaded a place on the north shore of Lake Superior and started commercial fishing empire.
Don't believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see. Myself I believe.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Wed May 24, 2017 6:26 am

That's a picture of him next to his first fishing boat. He used to pull the big nets with it before he could afford to buy a real boat. Carved out of an old tree by hand. He could get up to 15 knots while dragging the nets.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Wed May 24, 2017 6:49 am

Yea I was going thru old stuff this weekend and looked at my grandparents marriage license from39 said both were 18 , folded up with that was there birth certificate she was born in 24 and he 22 . people always thought they were lying when they told how old they were when they got married.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed May 24, 2017 6:50 am

True Grit Farms wrote:Image
Supposedly raised on a Indian reservation near Hayward WI, left home at 13 to work for the railroad, then off to WWI, then to USPS delivering mail and ramrodding logging camps through out northern WI and MN. Homesteaded a place on the north shore of Lake Superior and started commercial fishing empire.
Don't believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see. Myself I believe.

You must be ashamed!

You can edit that out and repost it. I won't tell.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed May 24, 2017 6:56 am

Don't believe nothing you hear...but I was told he did it as a community service. Because back then no one wanted to work for the government.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Stones
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Stones » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:56 pm

I was 6 driving the tractor while my dad loaded hay, (square bales) it was low gear and all I really did was keep it pointed straight. We didn't have other options, when its time to bale you gotta get it done. Just like the other post, my older brother was 11 at the time and really couldn't be bothered with that type of work. I still dig his sorry can out of jams he gets into building and repairing stuff. Even when I left for collage and got a job, dad would call for help and I made sure I came a running.
0 x
I can fix a lot of things...stupid is not one of them.

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”