Oilfield​

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Oilfield​

Postby greybeard » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:40 pm

Some, will know what they're looking at here...I've never seen one left to produce quite this way.
(mid 80s Austin Chalk play on hiway 36 just S. of Caldwell)
)
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:23 pm

greybeard wrote:Some, will know what they're looking at here...I've never seen one left to produce quite this way.
)

Looks like it came in on them so they closed the rams and started producing.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:03 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
greybeard wrote:Some, will know what they're looking at here...I've never seen one left to produce quite this way.
)

Looks like it came in on them so they closed the rams and started producing.

Seems like I remember pump jacks were not readily available back then, but a good many wells did free flow for a short while.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:18 pm

A lot of the time they completed the wells right there with the drilling rig. There was no horizontal wells or frac fleet to come in. They shot the zone right there with the drilling rig and they flowed it back. If it did good they went to the next one. If it didn't they pulled up the hole and shot it again.

I'd like to see what's on the other end.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:36 am

Brute 23 wrote:A lot of the time they completed the wells right there with the drilling rig. There was no horizontal wells or frac fleet to come in. They shot the zone right there with the drilling rig and they flowed it back. If it did good they went to the next one. If it didn't they pulled up the hole and shot it again.

I'd like to see what's on the other end.

I don't know what else was up there, but there was a dang HP gauge on top. I couldn't get it all to fit in the picture. This was a Williams well. They drilled a lot of them in the chalk back then. Had a yard over on that FM road that came out at Lyons.

And you're right. It was move in, rig up, poke a hole, and get rigged down and move on to the next one. Most less than 5,000' I believe.
The locations were almost all just caliche with the only place they had mats was under the substructure. I never saw a board road on any of those chalk wells.

All those wells that were drilled up to 1985, I only remember one having trouble and IIRC, it was an Exeter rig .. it burned on a location going out toward Dime Box.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:51 am

From 'the old days'..
We had built our own slingshot rig in La that was fast rig up and down. It worked ok, but then we bought 3 brand new OIME rigs out of Odessa. The 3 floor engines and 2 mud pumps sat right on the ground and a driveline powered the rotary and draw works.

Then someone got the bright idea of us getting into the workover end and we got 4 wore out pos WOs from some company out of North La and took them all to our yard just West of Caldwell. 2 Wilsons and 2 Cranes.
There was ALWAYS something broke or about to break on them Crane Carrier rigs.

Trying to get back in the hole with the hydramatic brake's shaft sheared off. Caught the drum brakes afire too.

One of the OIME rigs:

Last edited by greybeard on Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:08 am

I think this one was a job we were on down at Bay City a couple years later. Looks to be too much pipe in the derrick for a chalk hole.

Got on location late one day to rig up and late that evening found out half the rig was impounded without a permit on the side of I-10. No crew quarters yet and I had to have a bath.. :lol:

0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:50 am

Those are cool pics. Now days it's no cameras or pics or any thing.
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:59 am

I like those pics. We can still take pictures. Just so we don't post up any pictures of anybody doing anything wrong. If you're into reading I read a book once called wildcatters. It's about a geologist in about the 1930s.
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”