Oilfield​

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Oilfield​

Postby greybeard » Sat May 20, 2017 10:03 am

TexasBred wrote:
greybeard wrote:Jupiter Sulphur plant is in Ponca City, a carbon black plant, and ConocoPhillips too.

(I had the misfortune of going thru Evadale Tx recently--didn't smell as bad as it used to, but I still knew where I was before I got there.. )

GB first job I ever had was building a bride in Evadale. It was definitely a funky place but most of it was from a paper mill. Sour Lake also had quite a funk. Both had huge mosquitoes...must have been something in the water. :lol2: :lol2:

I assume you were building a bridge and not your wife.....

Coincidence, but my first real job was also building a bridge. The I-10 bridge over the San Jacinto River between Baytown and Channelview. I really enjoyed it, but the things my brother and I did on that job would not be allowed done today. (like standing atop the 30" X30"" concrete pilings with a jackhammer and cutting 2-3' to expose enough rebar so they could pour the horizontal structures that the bridge beams would sit on. No safety lines--no scaffolding, just lean a ladder up, climb up and pull the jackhammer & hose up with a rope and go to work.)
Evidently, we had a lot better balance and not near as much fear or common sense back then.
Did other stuff as well, swamped for a dragline, ran a dozer covering board road, shoveled asphalt, drove a water truck to wet down the new pours while they cured...
Austin Road and Bridge Co out of Dallas was my employer.
I really enjoyed that job too.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sat May 20, 2017 5:40 pm

greybeard wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
greybeard wrote:Jupiter Sulphur plant is in Ponca City, a carbon black plant, and ConocoPhillips too.

(I had the misfortune of going thru Evadale Tx recently--didn't smell as bad as it used to, but I still knew where I was before I got there.. )

GB first job I ever had was building a bride in Evadale. It was definitely a funky place but most of it was from a paper mill. Sour Lake also had quite a funk. Both had huge mosquitoes...must have been something in the water. :lol2: :lol2:

I assume you were building a bridge and not your wife.....

Coincidence, but my first real job was also building a bridge. The I-10 bridge over the San Jacinto River between Baytown and Channelview. I really enjoyed it, but the things my brother and I did on that job would not be allowed done today. (like standing atop the 30" X30"" concrete pilings with a jackhammer and cutting 2-3' to expose enough rebar so they could pour the horizontal structures that the bridge beams would sit on. No safety lines--no scaffolding, just lean a ladder up, climb up and pull the jackhammer & hose up with a rope and go to work.)
Evidently, we had a lot better balance and not near as much fear or common sense back then.
Did other stuff as well, swamped for a dragline, ran a dozer covering board road, shoveled asphalt, drove a water truck to wet down the new pours while they cured...
Austin Road and Bridge Co out of Dallas was my employer.
I really enjoyed that job too.

Yes I definitely meant "Bridge" GB....and yeah I've done a lot of whta you talk about. And no there was no safety program. lolol Don't remember anybody ever getting hurt though other than overheating.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sat May 20, 2017 7:25 pm

There are quite a few studies showing that these major companies safety is getting worse as their safety programs get more extensive. We are hearing that out of a lot of our safety people. They are saying once the programs get too big it has the inverse effect.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Sat May 20, 2017 8:03 pm

Brute 23 wrote:There are quite a few studies showing that these major companies safety is getting worse as their safety programs get more extensive. We are hearing that out of a lot of our safety people. They are saying once the programs get too big it has the inverse effect.

I agree with that. We have what we like to call a common sense safety program. We dont just create rules due to every incedent. I used to work for a larger company whose name rymes with nabors. That have a policy now where they have a no entry to the rig floor with out getting a permit to enter the space. :shock: They've had the no entry catwalk buffer zone since before I left. What a pain. Forklift and Man lift key stays in the pushers house and you have to get a permit and do an inspection before you get the key every time you use it. All those rules and not only does it not help but the productivity goes way down. I think they have found a loop hole to make more money. If they can create a safety rules that slows down the process by 30 minutes per day, they can easily add a day to a well which creates an extra day of income on the well.
0 x

f1tiger
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby f1tiger » Sun May 21, 2017 11:39 pm

Years ago before there was a lake fork (best bass lake in Texas, well maybe after big Sam Rayburn) drilling directional wells where the lake is now was a chore, the Smackover formation in that area was second to none in Texas for H2S concentration except for around Streetman Texas ( Richland Chambers Res.) Those two areas were known for H2S, (20-30 percent,thank God they were tight formations and had to be fracked ( that is when Mr. Mitchell invented fracking ...In Saudi Arabia is where you can see high concentration of H2S 30-40 per cent along with high flow rates and high pressures , 25,000 barrels a day 60 million cubic feet of gas and shut in pressures in 10000 psi range, now that will get your heart pumping when you are the only Texan there and only maybe 3 white eyes on location, now it really getting interesting as we are about to drill into what the geologists say is hopefully the biggest discovery yet, and shoot there is a commotion of some sort at the rig entrance, we have the Saudi army at the entrance with machine guns to protect us ( they say) 20' sand burms and razor wire around the entire location...... H2S knows no race color or creed , I am thankful and glad those days are over ....getting old has some merit
0 x

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Mon May 22, 2017 3:51 am

Dang F1 that sounds about as stressful as it gets! I'm guessing you were pulling down a pretty hefty hourly rate though?
0 x
The truest of warriors is often overlooked.

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Mon May 22, 2017 7:27 am

f1tiger wrote:Years ago before there was a lake fork (best bass lake in Texas, well maybe after big Sam Rayburn) drilling directional wells where the lake is now was a chore, the Smackover formation in that area was second to none in Texas for H2S concentration except for around Streetman Texas ( Richland Chambers Res.) Those two areas were known for H2S, (20-30 percent,thank God they were tight formations and had to be fracked ( that is when Mr. Mitchell invented fracking ...In Saudi Arabia is where you can see high concentration of H2S 30-40 per cent along with high flow rates and high pressures , 25,000 barrels a day 60 million cubic feet of gas and shut in pressures in 10000 psi range, now that will get your heart pumping when you are the only Texan there and only maybe 3 white eyes on location, now it really getting interesting as we are about to drill into what the geologists say is hopefully the biggest discovery yet, and shoot there is a commotion of some sort at the rig entrance, we have the Saudi army at the entrance with machine guns to protect us ( they say) 20' sand burms and razor wire around the entire location...... H2S knows no race color or creed , I am thankful and glad those days are over ....getting old has some merit

Not interested...I like keeping my feet on American soil anyways. You get ya a good amount of h2s and that army's gonna leave you. Sounds like a death trap anyways with the 20 burms around. How do you disperse it?
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Mon May 22, 2017 9:16 am

Craig Miller wrote:
f1tiger wrote:Years ago before there was a lake fork (best bass lake in Texas, well maybe after big Sam Rayburn) drilling directional wells where the lake is now was a chore, the Smackover formation in that area was second to none in Texas for H2S concentration except for around Streetman Texas ( Richland Chambers Res.) Those two areas were known for H2S, (20-30 percent,thank God they were tight formations and had to be fracked ( that is when Mr. Mitchell invented fracking ...In Saudi Arabia is where you can see high concentration of H2S 30-40 per cent along with high flow rates and high pressures , 25,000 barrels a day 60 million cubic feet of gas and shut in pressures in 10000 psi range, now that will get your heart pumping when you are the only Texan there and only maybe 3 white eyes on location, now it really getting interesting as we are about to drill into what the geologists say is hopefully the biggest discovery yet, and shoot there is a commotion of some sort at the rig entrance, we have the Saudi army at the entrance with machine guns to protect us ( they say) 20' sand burms and razor wire around the entire location...... H2S knows no race color or creed , I am thankful and glad those days are over ....getting old has some merit

Not interested...I like keeping my feet on American soil anyways. You get ya a good amount of h2s and that army's gonna leave you. Sounds like a death trap anyways with the 20 burms around. How do you disperse it?

I agree... :nod: ... but thank you F1 for taking one for the team! :tiphat:
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon May 22, 2017 4:52 pm

Little update: Pumper & crew were out yesterday to fix the electrical line that was actually under water. They never buried it (too much rock), just laid it along the fence line. So now they have it elevated & secured. Even the Foreman was out today and the oil/water has been pumped again from the well with the leak, they're working on that well right now and are going to remove/replace the contaminated soil and re-build the berm. Now all we need is for them to finally put in the roads and clean up the pastures but we're making progress!

Thanks again for all your input! I believe the phrase "surely this doesn't meet minimum EPA standards - we know some people" was definitely more of an incentive than the hefty refund they received from the county :)
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon May 22, 2017 4:57 pm

TCRanch wrote:Little update: Pumper & crew were out yesterday to fix the electrical line that was actually under water. They never buried it (too much rock), just laid it along the fence line. So now they have it elevated & secured. Even the Foreman was out today and the oil/water has been pumped again from the well with the leak, they're working on that well right now and are going to remove/replace the contaminated soil and re-build the berm. Now all we need is for them to finally put in the roads and clean up the pastures but we're making progress!

Thanks again for all your input! I believe the phrase "surely this doesn't meet minimum EPA standards - we know some people" was definitely more of an incentive than the hefty refund they received from the county :)

That is great. Glad they see the light. Lol
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Mon May 22, 2017 6:43 pm

TCRanch wrote:Little update: Pumper & crew were out yesterday to fix the electrical line that was actually under water. They never buried it (too much rock), just laid it along the fence line. So now they have it elevated & secured. Even the Foreman was out today and the oil/water has been pumped again from the well with the leak, they're working on that well right now and are going to remove/replace the contaminated soil and re-build the berm. Now all we need is for them to finally put in the roads and clean up the pastures but we're making progress!

Glad to hear it. See about those buckets Brute mentioned too.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon May 22, 2017 6:52 pm

Craig Miller wrote:

Glad to hear it. See about those buckets Brute mentioned too.

Yes. And Brute also made a good suggestion on conducting surveillance with trail cameras. Regulatory agencies do it almost everywhere.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Mon May 22, 2017 6:54 pm

Glad they are cooperating. It's a lot easier that way.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon May 22, 2017 8:03 pm

I'll have to ask about the buckets. From what I understand, hardware wasn't replaced or installed correctly last Oct when a crew was working on the well (literally during a tornado that took our our barnyard - mental pygmies took picks from the rig!) and has been fixed.

We've been considering trail cams in the pastures, primarily because one of the gates in another pasture is never the same as we left it - and nobody has any business going in there - but also because we've had miscellaneous items suddenly come up missing. Items of relatively no real value. On the one hand, if they need it that badly then I'll look the other way. On the other hand, NO!
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Mon May 22, 2017 9:10 pm

TCRanch wrote:
We've been considering trail cams in the pastures, primarily because one of the gates in another pasture is never the same as we left it - and nobody has any business going in there -

I know how I wrap the chain, how my oldest son wraps the chain, how my dad wraps the chain...finally just put a combination lock on it.
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”