Long treated posts in IN, KY or IL?

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
jkwilson
GURU
GURU

Long treated posts in IN, KY or IL?

Postby jkwilson » Wed May 24, 2017 11:17 am

When my neighbor several years ago built fence, he used some kind of heavy fiberglass pipe for braces. These held up for a while, but the sun has done them no favors over the years and they are starting to fail. The new neighbor and I are planning some fencing work this summer and we'd like to get those braces replaced. Problem is, the original builder spaced his posts 9' because apparently the pipe he got came in 18' sections.

A few years ago, a county ditcher grabbed the fence and broke a brace. We replaced it with a 4X6 because it was the only thing we could find that was strong enough and long enough to do the job. It looks like it's near end of life so we don't want to go there again.

I've found a couple of sources of 10' round posts. Kencove is about 4 hours away, but it's a direction I never go and don't really have anything else I could do there that would make the trip worthwhile. Neighbor is Amish, so even though he'll share the cost, it's on me to drive. Green River Posts is about 3 hours away, but they only sell by the bundle and we'd end up with a bunch of posts we don't need. Kencove will ship, but I'm afraid freight will be a killer on a relatively small order.

Hate to start moving posts. These things are driven halfway to the earth's core and were apparently treated with nuclear waste because they are still rock solid.

Anybody know of a source for something in the area that will last? Thought about oilfield pipe, but I've had problems with them coming loose before. Maybe I just don't know what I'm doing.
0 x

bpatterson
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Long treated posts in IN, KY or IL?

Postby bpatterson » Wed May 24, 2017 12:07 pm

I don't know how many post you need but menards has them on there web site 50 bucks a piece but they are 8"x10' round post treated if this helps.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Wed May 24, 2017 12:36 pm

bore a hole in one post and half way thru the other insert pipe then drill another hole thru pipe and post and pin or bolt it then retighten your strainer wire
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Kell-inKY
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Kell-inKY » Wed May 24, 2017 2:27 pm

10' EMT 1.5" dia. conduit is about $13, not sure what galvanized fence post for chain link runs but something similar, both are at Lowes. Should be able to flatten the ends and drill a hole through them for easy bolting. Just a thought?
0 x

SmokinM
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby SmokinM » Wed May 24, 2017 8:39 pm

Go to any chain link supplier or as was mentioned above use metal conduit. 2" is better but 1.5" will work. Cut to length, drive 10" galvanized spike thru pre-drilled hole into center of pipe so it "hangs" on it. Tighten your brace wire. Leve a 1/2" out on your off side spike to hang wire on. Shouldn't have to drive to far to find that and it will work great.
0 x

ddd75
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ddd75 » Thu May 25, 2017 6:45 am

southern states in maysville ky has 10' long wood brace posts. I have a bundle sitting right here from them. 10.50/each i think.
0 x

jkwilson
GURU
GURU

Postby jkwilson » Thu May 25, 2017 7:17 am

ddd75 wrote:southern states in maysville ky has 10' long wood brace posts. I have a bundle sitting right here from them. 10.50/each i think.

We go to Natural Bridge every few years. Might be an option.
0 x

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Thu May 25, 2017 8:47 am

Ask your Amish neighbor if he knows where to get some black locust of the length I bet he will know. Amish do not go to town for much they find a way to make do.
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Fri May 26, 2017 4:01 am

hurleyjd wrote:Ask your Amish neighbor if he knows where to get some black locust of the length I bet he will know. Amish do not go to town for much they find a way to make do.

I got 2 huge black locust trees I need to get taken down. Hint hint.
I'm just up the road a piece. A fur piece (as my (WV) granddad always said).
0 x

ddd75
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ddd75 » Fri May 26, 2017 6:22 am

hurleyjd wrote:Ask your Amish neighbor if he knows where to get some black locust of the length I bet he will know. Amish do not go to town for much they find a way to make do.

*looks around*

amish neighbors with skid steers, trucks. cell phones.. solar panels.... Central aired cooled houses...

they are pretty good at making stuff! :lol2:
0 x

Turkeybird
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Turkeybird » Fri May 26, 2017 6:45 am

Black locust outlasts most of every thing
0 x

D2Cat
Rancher
Rancher

Postby D2Cat » Fri May 26, 2017 8:15 am

If you REALLY want it to last get some osage orange.
0 x

Clodhopper
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Clodhopper » Mon May 29, 2017 1:46 pm

We use oilfield pipe all the time. Either drive a spike nail into both posts for the pipe to rest on or weld a piece of flat steel to both ends of the pipe, drill or smoke a hole top and bottom of the pipe, and nail or screw the pipe to the post. Drill stem should be common in your area, there's plenty of oilfield in the Tri-state.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Mon May 29, 2017 5:15 pm

We are in southern IN, as well. There is a pretty good chance we have what you need in stock. Green River doesn't stock anything longer than 8', but I've been working on them to treat some longer timber for us. Hope this is helpful.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Mon May 29, 2017 5:19 pm

If you are 4 hours from Earl Park, and 3 hours from Sebree, we must be neighbors.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”