Why are tattoos so popular?

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
herofan
GURU
GURU

Why are tattoos so popular?

Postby herofan » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:57 pm

First of all, I don't intend for this to be a tattoo bashing thread, I'm just wondering what has made tattoos so popular among the average person these days.

It's that time of year where clothing is starting to show more flesh, and for whatever reason, I just seem to be noticing everybody and his brother has a tattoo these days.

It seems like there was a time when certain personalities had tattoos, like bikers and such. These days, I'll see a woman out that looks like she's from Walton's Mountain, and she'll have some kind of tattoo. I've noticed feet and ankles are a hot spot for women.

It seems that a tattoo is not something that one does on a whim, and I don't assume they're cheap. So what is the attraction. Is it celebrity driven or what?
0 x

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Re: Why are tattoos so popular?

Postby Aaron » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:09 pm

People want to make a statement and or want to be unique. I used to find them disgusting and trashy, but that official title has since been transferred to nose/lip rings.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:11 pm

just todays society where everyone wants to make a statement. They also say they are like crack once you get one you want another.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:42 pm

They're in style now. I really think that's all it is. But, as my wife says, "These young girls need to realize that canvas isn't going to stay tight."

By the way, I tell her she doesn't need one. After all, you don't put a bumper sticker on a Maserati.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:50 pm

Rafter S wrote:They're in style now. I really think that's all it is. But, as my wife says, "These young girls need to realize that canvas isn't going to stay tight."

By the way, I tell her she doesn't need one. After all, you don't put a bumper sticker on a Maserati.

You smooth talking devil you!
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:51 pm

Rafter S wrote:They're in style now. I really think that's all it is. But, as my wife says, "These young girls need to realize that canvas isn't going to stay tight."

Adding to that sentiment: friend of mine got a tattoo of Mickey Mouse above her ankle when she graduated & started teaching grade school, the kids loved it. 30 years later it's an embarrassment and she's considering having it removed.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:52 pm

Rafter S wrote:By the way, I tell her she doesn't need one. After all, you don't put a bumper sticker on a Maserati.

:lol2: I guess that explains why you see so many bumper stickers on Volkswagen buses.

Today I saw what I'm sure was once a hot biker chick but trust me she wasn't that hot with all her tats. Sortof reminded me of a soggy cigarette in a urinal.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:27 pm

There are a bunch of young ladies that have those cute little butterflies going to look like an old buzzard coming off the roost in 30 years.
I don't understand some of these young folks that are completely covered along looking like they fell into a tackle box.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:40 pm

In ancient times first tattoos were a simple stripe used to mark troublemakers/prisoners before release to warn others
this person is a criminal, beware. Then to identify slaves and ownership. Mummies have been found and believed
some of them received tattoos as some sort of healing medical treatment.
Mummies found in Egypt mostly women and tattoos indicated status.

In some cultures appears they were punitive, and evolved into a tough guy status thing.
Today ornamental to express your individuality... just like everyone else. 8)
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:57 pm

Jogeephus wrote:
Rafter S wrote:By the way, I tell her she doesn't need one. After all, you don't put a bumper sticker on a Maserati.
Excellent Point.

Today I saw what I'm sure was once a hot biker chick but trust me she wasn't that hot with all her tats.
Sort of reminded me of a soggy cigarette in a urinal.

Very descriptive imagery and I know just what you mean.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:24 pm

Aaron wrote:People want to make a statement and or want to be unique. I used to find them disgusting and trashy, but that official title has since been transferred to nose/lip rings.

:nod: I agree. I was never a big tattoo person unless they were ex-military but they have kind of grown on me. There is some really neat stuff out there.

I can't get behind all the piercings though... unless its a really hot chick... then I could probably look past it.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:26 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:There are a bunch of young ladies that have those cute little butterflies going to look like an old buzzard coming off the roost in 30 years.
I don't understand some of these young folks that are completely covered along looking like they fell into a tackle box.

:lol: :lol: :lol: CB if you don't mind Im going to need to use that
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:51 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
Aaron wrote:People want to make a statement and or want to be unique. I used to find them disgusting and trashy, but that official title has since been transferred to nose/lip rings.

:nod: I agree. I was never a big tattoo person unless they were ex-military but they have kind of grown on me. There is some really neat stuff out there.

I can't get behind all the piercings though... unless its a really hot chick... then I could probably look past it.

Seen that a few times and I still think it's horrid.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:26 pm

If I'm in a place looking for a good time for the night.
Is she has tattoos.
That's the first clue for poor judgement and impulse behavior :lol:
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:37 pm

Aaron wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:

Seen that a few times and I still think it's horrid.

Still single right??
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”