Why are tattoos so popular?

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Re: Why are tattoos so popular?

Postby Brute 23 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:29 am

TCRanch wrote:One of our vets is the last person you would expect to have a tattoo (very religious, devoted family man) but has a "wedding band" tattooed on his ring ringer in lieu of his ring. I certainly understand why he doesn't wear his actual ring (I don't on the ranch) and find his tat endearing.

Ones like that I could do. I have even see some really nice ones for people who have lost children. A friend of mine has a small one one his shoulder for his brother who was killed in Iraq. Its not on blast and you cant tell what it is unless you ask him. Its more of a personal thing for those people... they are not trying to use their body like a billboard.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:02 pm

TCRanch wrote:One of our vets is the last person you would expect to have a tattoo (very religious, devoted family man) but has a "wedding band" tattooed on his ring ringer in lieu of his ring. I certainly understand why he doesn't wear his actual ring (I don't on the ranch) and find his tat endearing.

I came close to the wedding band tattoo way back before it became common. I can't stand jewelry of any kind."on me" even sunglasses bother me. I kinda though me not wearing the ring bothered my bride, so I considered that. Never did it though.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

DLD
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby DLD » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:54 pm

I know a couple of guys that have the wedding band tattoos - they're the only tattoo I would personally consider. I'd do it if my wife minded that I don't wear a ring, but she doesn't seem to.

One or two smaller, discretely placed tattoos I don't mind, but I don't really understand the motivation. I think that often, they are trying to deny "conformity" (or as they'd probably say "express their individuality"). Sadly, that tends to come with a certain attitude as well, which probably leads back to why so many of us don't care for tattoos or the people who have them. For the most part I'm all for live and let live, but it kinda bothers me on certain folks - like school teachers...
Last edited by DLD on Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:09 pm

It just dawned on me that I have a sort of tattoo. In about 5th or 6th grade the girl that was sitting in front of me got tired of me messing with her and turned around and stabbed me in the knee with her pencil. Lead broke off and left a black dot
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:21 pm

dun wrote:It just dawned on me that I have a sort of tattoo. In about 5th or 6th grade the girl that was sitting in front of me got tired of me messing with her and turned around and stabbed me in the knee with her pencil. Lead broke off and left a black dot

That's gangster. How did her life turn out?
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:52 pm

dun wrote:It just dawned on me that I have a sort of tattoo. In about 5th or 6th grade the girl that was sitting in front of me got tired of me messing with her and turned around and stabbed me in the knee with her pencil. Lead broke off and left a black dot

OMG, the same thing happened to me. I was in 6th grade....the most popular boy in school was sitting in front of me in PE...turned around and stabbed me with a pencil. I also have a black dot from it.. This kids name was Lacy, yes, and he was still popular. He got in all kinds of trouble for doing it and I paid the price of being made fun of for narking. Back then I was very quiet and actually a really good kid.. I had known this kid since first grade and he lived in my neighborhood. I was doing nothing to him, just minding my own business.. I got in contact with him on FB and we joked around about it. He said he has no idea what made him do it...lol...but he caught h3ll for it at home.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:52 pm

Brute 23 wrote:

That's gangster. How did her life turn out?

Have no idea. She was probably one of them that became nuns.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:37 pm

I have one of those. Also have some cool hypster-like scars. Many people pay people to scar them but I got all mine free of charge.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:05 pm

Jogeephus wrote:

I have one of those. Also have some cool hypster-like scars. Many people pay people to scar them but I got all mine free of charge.

I have one of those too. I have about a 6", diagonal, scar across my chest on my right peck. People always ask... how did you get that scar. I just say... Id rather not talk about it. :cowboy:

Actually, I got it from stepping off a fertilizer buggy. The big straps that hold the tanks on had two ears with bolts right there where I stepped down. It was all rusted out and ran down my chest. Cut right thru my shirt and me. I ran... took my shirt off... flopped around a little... it was burning soooo bad. :oops: I looked like Ricky Bobby... Im on fire... Im on Fire... :lol2: Finally it clicked that the fertilizer was making it burn not the cut. I grabbed my water off the truck, laid on the tailgate, and kept pouring water on it until I ran out.

When it stopped burning I put a rag over it, ran some duck tape around my chest and went back to work. The guy I was working for added some steps and stuff to make it a lot easier to fill after that.
0 x

skeeter swatter
Rancher
Rancher

Postby skeeter swatter » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:26 pm

Bigfoot wrote:Please nobody take offense to this, but if I was single, I don't think I could bring myself to date a woman with a tattoo. Her body, her choice, but it's my hang up.

But now that you're married it's okay? :lol: :lol2: :hide:
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:36 pm

They say scars are like tattoos with better stories. I have about a dozen scars. I think 4 major ones. So I am the same as pretty well tatted up but with good stories.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:43 am

I don't mind tattoos that are well done, well thought out, and have some meaning to them... Unless you're a butterfly collector, a butterfly on your ankle means squat... Trying to look tough by tattooing barbed wire around your bicep is lame.. and "Nadine" tattooed on your arm isn't so great when your wife is (now) Marie

I am amazed at the definition and artistry of some of these tattoos I see.. I couldn't see myself covered head to toe in them no matter how nice they are

I've thought about getting one, I'd place it high on my arm.. It would be a combination of cattle an other things blended together, but I'm not artistic enough to really be able to get it drawn up... I would probably place it so it's hidden by a T shirt
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:26 am

Nesikep wrote:I've thought about getting one, I'd place it high on my arm.. It would be a combination of cattle an other things blended together, but I'm not artistic enough to really be able to get it drawn up... I would probably place it so it's hidden by a T shirt

If you decide to do this don't get drunk in Tijuana and hire a fella named Juan Fernando to tattoo an angus bull on your arm because Juan don't know be nice about cattle even though he says different.

0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:31 am

Jogeephus wrote:
Nesikep wrote:I've thought about getting one, I'd place it high on my arm.. It would be a combination of cattle an other things blended together, but I'm not artistic enough to really be able to get it drawn up... I would probably place it so it's hidden by a T shirt

If you decide to do this don't get drunk in Tijuana and hire a fella named Juan Fernando to tattoo an angus bull on your arm because Juan don't know be nice about cattle even though he says different.

I don;t know about now, but in the early 60s TJ wasn;t exactly a mecca for artists. Well they did have some artists but this is a family forum.
0 x

Atimm693
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Atimm693 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:23 am

What I don't get is ear gauges.. Why you would want your earlobes to hang like a wizard's sleeve is beyond me.
Last edited by Atimm693 on Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”