Ranch pictures

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Ranch pictures

Postby cowgirl8 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:27 am

Just a few I've taken this spring
Our wildest colored calf this year
Calves out of our 'mutant' bull... Except the dark red, solid black and the black WF in the background.
Steer who seemed to want his picture taken
Left this one a bull. Last of the calves, out of the black Hereford..
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Re: Ranch pictures

Postby cowgirl8 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:33 am

Remember Hurt Mouth, a ice covered limb fell on her when she was a newborn and crushed her face. It took her a extra year to grow good enough to calve. Her first this year and she's putting everything into her. Hadnt really paid attention to HM in the pasture, but came across her and saw her calf nursing. I was really surprised to see such a nice first calf out of HM. Glad I kept her...very sweet cow
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:57 am

The only 3 mo old we left a bull...
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:16 am

Well I hate the first one...
The rest look good. Look like good powerful calves, not to fleshy and lots of room to grow.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:31 am

callmefence wrote:Well I hate the first one...
The rest look good. Look like good powerful calves, not to fleshy and lots of room to grow.

How could you hate that first one, she's just a day old....Half Hereford, she's adorable..
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:32 am

I named her Capri
See, the back half is Hereford, then the white line divides her and the front half is sim/angus...
0 x

ddd75
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ddd75 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:04 pm

really nice looking cattle!
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:34 pm

ddd75 wrote:really nice looking cattle!

:D Thank you
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:42 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:I named her Capri
See, the back half is Hereford, then the white line divides her and the front half is sim/angus...

Nice looking calves, but if a Hereford bull can't put a white face on every calf something is definitely wrong somewhere.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:56 pm

We no longer have that bull nor do we care about white faces..that one herd had the Hereford and many did have white faces. Not sure if we'll ever go the black Hereford direction. It was our daughters bull we borrowed when we got in a bull bind. Got some nice calves out of him, the one out of the red cows is one....If we keep any Hereford, it will probably be from that calf if he grows right. Sure love his mother and she's a twinner and quite the milker..
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:09 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
cowgirl8 wrote:I named her Capri

Nice looking calves, but if a Hereford bull can't put a white face on every calf something is definitely wrong somewhere.

That's not unusual for a "Black Hereford".
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:15 pm

I guess with any bull, you don't know what you're going to get until you have that first calf crop. My daughter was getting almost all w/f, but not 100%. She had another black Hereford she was using... He was struck by lightning and the one we borrowed came up sterile this spring. The solid black calf we left a bull, is out of that pasture where the Hereford was, but we didn't put the Hereford in until later in the season so he's not out of that bull.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:45 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:

How could you hate that first one, she's just a day old....Half Hereford, she's adorable..

Well I guess hate was a little rough. She'd probably make me smile and my granddaughter would wanna hug her neck.
Not what I would be shooting for in my calves though.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:45 pm

callmefence wrote:
cowgirl8 wrote:

Well I guess hate was a little rough. She'd probably make me smile and my granddaughter would wanna hug her neck.

That's better.... and with a name like Capri, she's adorable... She wont make heifer cut, born too late in the season. Really miss my colored up calves...but, considering what we usually get out of a couple a year she's showing we're on the border of getting only solids or w/f now...
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:40 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:
callmefence wrote:
cowgirl8 wrote:How could you hate that first one, she's just a day old....Half Hereford, she's adorable..

That's better.... and with a name like Capri, she's adorable... She wont make heifer cut, born too late in the season. Really miss my colored up calves...but, considering what we usually get out of a couple a year she's showing we're on the border of getting only solids or w/f now...

She totally makes me smile!
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”