By The Sweat of thier Brow

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: By The Sweat of thier Brow

Postby greybeard » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:33 am

Jo,
Pulp wood cutters that worked here on this place in mid 60s had a bow saw, a couple gallons of gas, a gallon of water, a couple biscuits and sausage wrapped in a paper towel, a truck with a jib boom and winch & about 100 yards of 1/2 line on it and that's it. He'd drive as close as he could get to the tops and scrub and go to cutting, tie the line on and drag it over to his truck and load it. No log hog tractor or skidder. Some days, I thought that truck was going to turn over when he was dragging the cut sticks to the truck.
Looked just like this painting, except the guy that cut ours when I was a kid worked alone unless he had his cute young wife with him.

Or this diorama model:

Heck, some I saw around town didn't even have a winch and boom--they loaded by hand.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:40 am

Jo, a few years ago, a local guy I knew came by and said the mill was taking hard and soft pulpwood..long sticks of course and asked me if I had any scrub pine or gum I wanted to get rid off. I did and he said he couldn't pay much because the mill wasn't paying much, and I told him to just take it..I wanted it gone. He started cutting and that evening came and asked if I wanted the tallow trees left. I didn't even know the mill would take them but he said "They will if they don't know they're stuck in the middle of a load of gum."
Oh happy day!!! I grabbed my garden sprayer with remedy and diesel and next day I followed right behind him.
The Lord sure smiled on me that day. He made a little money and I got rid of a lot of seed bearing tallow.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:49 am

greybeard wrote:Jo,
Pulp wood cutters that worked here on this place in mid 60s had a bow saw, a couple gallons of gas, a gallon of water, a couple biscuits and sausage wrapped in a paper towel, a truck with a jib boom and winch & about 100 yards of 1/2 line on it and that's it. He'd drive as close as he could get to the tops and scrub and go to cutting, tie the line on and drag it over to his truck and load it. No log hog tractor or skidder. Some days, I thought that truck was going to turn over when he was dragging the cut sticks to the truck.
Looked just like this painting, except the guy that cut ours when I was a kid worked alone unless he had his cute young wife with him.

Or this diorama model:

Heck, some I saw around town didn't even have a winch and boom--they loaded by hand.

Use to see dozens of those at the RR siding when I was growing up. Unloading those old beat up trucks onto a railcar. No shirts, wet with sweat and nothing but muscles. Hard working folks.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:46 am

We still get a couple hundred semi loads of pulp wood a day for the chipper at the mill I work at. I think it's close to $15 a ton, landowner gets paid $50 a load. Seems like a fair deal for all. Any cardboard box you see there's a 70% chance it was made here.
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:54 am

That is very similar to how it was done here but as the pulp mills became larger they needed more wood and a more consistent supply of wood and this created the era of tree length pulp and these loggers were more focused on efficiency and production. To do this, the pulpmills set up what was known as the dealer system. Each dealer was responsible for procuring a given amount of wood for the mill. Those who took on the risk and responsibility of becoming a dealer were well rewarded and most became millionaires. These dealers typically ran the concentration yards where the shortwooders would deliver their wood.

In a way, the inefficiency of the shortwooder would have led to their downfall but as sawmills and plywood mills moved in the area the demand for timber grew. These mills were very inefficient and required large top sizes which created huge amounts of waste left in the woods. This was godsend to the shortwooders because - like your tallow trees - there were a lot of people who would rather see it hauled off their property than have to deal with it themselves and this "free-wood" was a win/win deal and spawned a heck of an industry and created a lot of jobs. True, it was hard work but generally speaking a man could make much more in the woods than he could working a regular job.

I've heard it said that if Bill Gates stopped to pick up a $100 bill his pause would cost him money. I can't fathom this and suspect Gates would pick up the hundred if he saw it. None of these people were anything like Gates but many did see free money laying on the ground and many picked it up. Its a shame the insurance companies saw money here to and put these guys out of business because I'm sure none of these guys had any political connections or a voice where it mattered.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:37 am

RanchMan90 wrote:We still get a couple hundred semi loads of pulp wood a day for the chipper at the mill I work at. I think it's close to $15 a ton, landowner gets paid $50 a load. Seems like a fair deal for all. Any cardboard box you see there's a 70% chance it was made here.

Valiant? Is my old buddy Larry Guest still living? How about those Jordan boys out of Idabel?
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:03 am

backhoeboogie wrote:
RanchMan90 wrote:We still get a couple hundred semi loads of pulp wood a day for the chipper at the mill I work at. I think it's close to $15 a ton, landowner gets paid $50 a load. Seems like a fair deal for all. Any cardboard box you see there's a 70% chance it was made here.

Valiant? Is my old buddy Larry Guest still living? How about those Jordan boys out of Idabel?

Yes sir, international paper in valliant (used to be Weyerhauser). I've just been here a year so not familiar with everybody yet. Are they millwrights or electricians?
0 x

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:12 pm

RanchMan90 wrote:
backhoeboogie wrote:

Yes sir, international paper in valliant (used to be Weyerhauser). I've just been here a year so not familiar with everybody yet. Are they millwrights or electricians?

So your are living in the Little Dixie part of Oklahoma.
0 x

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:13 pm

RanchMan90 wrote:
backhoeboogie wrote:

Instrumentation. I worked a shut down there in '82 Ran a ton of tubing in the machine room. They didn't have a whole lot of tubing hands After they saw me bend 1 1/2 inch tubing, they made everyone else quit and I had to run all of it. It got me off of the bench boards.

It was there that I went dead broke. Had 4 paychecks in my pocket and no money to buy food or gasoline. I had to take off of work to go cash a paycheck. I had been working 16 hour days for over a month. No debit cards or direct deposit back then. No store to cash checks that big. I had to get to a bank, during banking hours so that I had money to eat.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:50 pm

backhoeboogie wrote:
RanchMan90 wrote:
backhoeboogie wrote:

Instrumentation. I worked a shut down there in '82 Ran a ton of tubing in the machine room. They didn't have a whole lot of tubing hands After they saw me bend 1 1/2 inch tubing, they made everyone else quit and I had to run all of it. It got me off of the bench boards.

It was there that I went dead broke. Had 4 paychecks in my pocket and no money to buy food or gasoline. I had to take off of work to go cash a paycheck. I had been working 16 hour days for over a month. No debit cards or direct deposit back then. No store to cash checks that big. I had to get to a bank, during banking hours so that I had money to eat.

I hear that. Cashing checks was a real chore when I was traveling and first got into the e & I field. I started out as a tubing hand here due to the demand, now I calibrate valves, transmitters, controllers, etc. I did get more satisfaction out of running tubing and getting to see my work at the end of the day. Being home nights and weekends now is priceless though. Can't say I know your friends, will keep an eye out for them next time I'm at the machines. Pulp mill and chipyard is my area.
Last edited by RanchMan90 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:59 pm

hurleyjd wrote:
RanchMan90 wrote:
backhoeboogie wrote:

So your are living in the Little Dixie part of Oklahoma.

I suppose you could call it that. Valliant is about as far west as you see pines. I live an hour West of there, there's some pulp wood logged in my area. Mostly 50-60% open here though.
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:25 pm

backhoeboogie wrote:

Heard Larry passed several years ago and was a top hand instrument tech. It certainly took a wealth of knowledge before we became so technologically advanced.
0 x

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:31 pm

RanchMan90 wrote:
backhoeboogie wrote:

Heard Larry passed several years ago and was a top hand instrument tech. It certainly took a wealth of knowledge before we became so technologically advanced.

He was a good one. Crazy as hades but a really good one nonetheless.

There were all those Bonner boys too. Lots of I & C techs from that area.

I haven't adjusted zero and span since '86. Lots of memories tho.
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:38 pm

backhoeboogie wrote:
RanchMan90 wrote:
backhoeboogie wrote:

He was a good one. Crazy as hades but a really good one nonetheless.

There were all those Bonner boys too. Lots of I & C techs from that area.

I haven't adjusted zero and span since '86. Lots of memories tho.

Yep. I've heard a bit of the history here. Huge age gap in techs now, either old school guys or millenials. I hope we catch on before they all retire :lol2:
0 x

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:50 pm

RanchMan90 wrote:
Yep. I've heard a bit of the history here. Huge age gap in techs now, either old school guys or millenials. I hope we catch on before they all retire :lol2:

It is a unique field. We have mechanical engineers. We have electrical engineers. I & C engineers are really hard to come by. It has to be learned. Now everything is going digital. Controls all made in China with low life spans.

Those paper machines use pneumatics. Really old school. Old timers will fall right in but digital generation types are gonna struggle.

One of those Bonner boys was named Flanoy. He's probably retired by now too.

I've been sitting here trying to remember names. My black book is at my desk somewhere. At work. It seems strange that I cannot recall everyone's name.

There were also several I & C types out of Ashdown, Arkansas. I can recall names of two of them.
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”