I need some help.....or sons...or your sons

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Re: I need some help.....or sons...or your sons

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:53 am

Bright Raven wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
What are the issues you experience finding labor?

Too many folks don't want to work.

I ask him. Go pick your nose. Just don't eat it. ;-)

Well you asded a pretty :dunce: question.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:03 am

Bright Raven wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
You got your rig on a tracked dozer. Is that setup for fencing steep difficult terrain?

The track machine is a Yanmar C50R dumper. The primary reason for this setup is the lack of available labor. It took me a minute to get it dialed in, but running controls to the back makes it a one man operation. It is also handy for rough/steep terrain, which we get plenty of.

0 Mexicans in the area he operates in.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:17 am

Bright Raven wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
You got your rig on a tracked dozer. Is that setup for fencing steep difficult terrain?

The track machine is a Yanmar C50R dumper. The primary reason for this setup is the lack of available labor. It took me a minute to get it dialed in, but running controls to the back makes it a one man operation. It is also handy for rough/steep terrain, which we get plenty of.

We have a shortage of labor around here, but it's mostly that young men have no idea what hard work is these days. We work a lot of long days, and it's usually hot or cold or raining or muddy or a drought or....you get the idea. I paid my best help in the $30/hr range but a couple years is just about all the tough ones want. The not so tough ones make it a few days. I always disclose that it will be the hardest work they've ever done, and they always have some story about carrying hod or putting up hay.....Neither of which are even a good warm up for some of the work we do.(That's not ripping on anyone. It's something that I have plenty of experience with.) It takes someone in good shape, responsible enough to work alone, sober enough to drive, smart enough to figure it out, and hungry enough to show up every day. To complicate things further, our supply/distribution business is growing, so now I REALLY need someone that can run a job AND be able to work a warehouse/computer on the rain days, not to mention the welding/fab work that need kept up with. What I'm looking for is a right hand man that want's to own a fence building business. I'm not looking to sell out tomorrow.....More like a gradual transition.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:21 am

Bright Raven wrote:

We have a shortage of labor around here, but it's mostly that young men have no idea what hard work is these days. We work a lot of long days, and it's usually hot or cold or raining or muddy or a drought or....you get the idea. I paid my best help in the $30/hr range but a couple years is just about all the tough ones want. The not so tough ones make it a few days. I always disclose that it will be the hardest work they've ever done, and they always have some story about carrying hod or putting up hay.....Neither of which are even a good warm up for some of the work we do.(That's not ripping on anyone. It's something that I have plenty of experience with.) It takes someone in good shape, responsible enough to work alone, sober enough to drive, smart enough to figure it out, and hungry enough to show up every day. To complicate things further, our supply/distribution business is growing, so now I REALLY need someone that can run a job AND be able to work a warehouse/computer on the rain days, not to mention the welding/fab work that need kept up with. What I'm looking for is a right hand man that want's to own a fence building business. I'm not looking to sell out tomorrow.....More like a gradual transition.

LET ME BE REAL STRAIGHT:

I WOULD PECK SHYT WITH THE CHICKENS BEFORE I WOULD WORK A FENCING CREW. IT IS CRUEL AND UNUSUAL PUNISHMENT!!!

The guys Kevin had 5 years ago are all down with bad backs, etc. Man is not made to lift the shyt those guys do all day.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:25 am

Bright Raven wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

LET ME BE REAL STRAIGHT:

I WOULD PECK SHYT WITH THE CHICKENS BEFORE I WOULD WORK A FENCING CREW. IT IS CRUEL AND UNUSUAL PUNISHMENT!!!

The guys Kevin had 5 years ago are all down with bad backs, etc. Man is not made to lift the shyt those guys do all day.

AL those years suckling at the teat of the government has made you soft.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:27 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

LET ME BE REAL STRAIGHT:

TT. Not a joke. You would last a week out there. You sit at a desk. I have seen these guys work. It would kill you.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:30 am

Bright Raven wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
LET ME BE REAL STRAIGHT:

TT. Not a joke. You would last a week out there. You sit at a desk. I have seen these guys work. It would kill you.

A week? I wouldn't make it till lunchtime.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:38 am

TT

The main hand that Kevin has is a guy they call Bear. I saw him five years ago when we were driving posts for a watergap lift a 10 foot post that was at least 16 inches in diameter. These were posts that the cable attached to on both sides of the creek. Kevin told him to wait for the tractor but that only gave Bear motivation. The guy was one of the strongest men in the country.

He came here yesterday to deliver the tractor and post driver for the crew. He could hardly get in and out of the truck. I ask him about his condition. He just said he was getting old. I ask how old are you. He said I am almost 50. What??? Fencing crews are like sheetrock hangars, you don't see many past 40.

BTW: When Kevin comes to do your fence, ask him about Bear!!!
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:19 am

My Dad will be 65 next month. Biggest trouble I have with him is he won't quit until I do. Sometimes I have to make up an excuse to get him to go home and I'll circle back to the job. Tough ol be nice.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:05 am

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:My Dad will be 65 next month. Biggest trouble I have with him is he won't quit until I do. Sometimes I have to make up an excuse to get him to go home and I'll circle back to the job. Tough ol be nice.

What I have observed is the small frame guys go down hill fast. Kevin has gone through a bunch. They got the heart, they just don't have the back. Not too bad handling an 8 foot corner post on an episodic basis. But do it every day, all day and then throw in some other heavy lifting like rolls of wire and pretty soon your looking for a job that does not destroy your body.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:12 am

hurleyjd wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

0 Mexicans in the area he operates in.

Lots here ...You'll never see one on my crew. I be alot of things but a hypocrite isn't one of em
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:26 am

Ol' 243 wrote:
msplmtneer wrote:Have you tried day labor, or homeless centers? :tiphat:

The man said he was looking for workers, not crack heads and drunks. :lol:

Yes and the biggest problem with this kinda labor is that you are taking them to somebody's home and property. You should never take a employee to a customers home that you wouldn't want at your own.
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:30 am

callmefence wrote:
Ol' 243 wrote:
msplmtneer wrote:Have you tried day labor, or homeless centers? :tiphat:

The man said he was looking for workers, not crack heads and drunks. :lol:

Yes and the biggest problem with this kinda labor is that you are taking them to somebody's home and property. You should never take a employee to a customers home that you wouldn't want at your own.

Excellent point. I have had Burton Fencing here half a dozen times. I never was uncomfortable with his crew. Had another crew here one time. It was before I met Kevin. That crew was all known local dope heads. I never used him again.
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”