I now declare war

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

I now declare war

Postby cowgirl8 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:27 am

Whomever thought crossing a fox with a monkey to make a raccoon was a good idea, well, it wasn't.
Lost another chicken last night. Has become a nightly occurrence now. #4 partially pulled through the bars. We've made a fortress for these hens, but a few insist sleep on the ground in the one spot I cant fortify from something reaching in. I even added a new lower roost pole.. Not sure if the few that huddle on the ground learned this from the place they came from. They are escapees from the egg factory via the sh#t fertilizer trucks...... Bought traps yesterday, one was tripped, but no raccoon in it. I have one more idea to get this sob. Yesterday I was planning on taking him miles away and releasing him. But now, that 'live' trap should have been called, 'I wished I were dead' trap.
When its light enough to see who got killed, i'm hoping its Wheezy who has something wrong with her...i'm sure it wont be though.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

jkwilson
GURU
GURU

Re: I now declare war

Postby jkwilson » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:06 am

I've caught 5 in a live trap in the last week. I have really good luck baiting them with Doritos. Cats don't bother with them but coons, possums and skunks love them.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:05 am

jkwilson wrote:I've caught 5 in a live trap in the last week. I have really good luck baiting them with Doritos. Cats don't bother with them but coons, possums and skunks love them.

What do you do with them.....this is what I struggle with....lol... Husband says if we shoot it in the trap, eventually the trap will be ruined. He said that 'I' can gas them with my 4wheeler...I suppose I can do this, just set it up and walk off for a while. Even for a evil bastart of a raccoon, I struggle...
I was trying to figure out what to bait with since I do have cats right there...I don't have doritos, but in a moment of weakness I did buy some pringles yesterday, and they are nacho cheese flavored....i'll try those..Thanks!
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:08 am

I'm planning on mounting the trap inside the pen. I have to devise a way to keep the hens off of it and it has to be off the ground a bit so that my tractor moves easily when its pulled, but I think I can figure a way to do that...
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:12 am

We always put the trap under water for a couple of minutes, problem solved.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:20 am

True Grit Farms wrote:We always put the trap under water for a couple of minutes, problem solved.

:cry2: :clap: I struggle...
0 x

greatgerts
GURU
GURU

Postby greatgerts » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:24 am

cowgirl8 wrote:
jkwilson wrote:I've caught 5 in a live trap in the last week. I have really good luck baiting them with Doritos. Cats don't bother with them but coons, possums and skunks love them.

What do you do with them.....this is what I struggle with....lol... Husband says if we shoot it in the trap, eventually the trap will be ruined. He said that 'I' can gas them with my 4wheeler...I suppose I can do this, just set it up and walk off for a while. Even for a evil bastart of a raccoon, I struggle...
I was trying to figure out what to bait with since I do have cats right there...I don't have doritos, but in a moment of weakness I did buy some pringles yesterday, and they are nacho cheese flavored....i'll try those..Thanks!

I'd shoot them in the trap. They'll probably try to grab the gun, PERFECT. It is like them committing suicide!
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:38 am

Try sticking some marshmallows in the trap. Coons love them.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:58 am

:shock: Been fighting em here as well. Ate most of my wife's sweet corn. All the peaches. Got in the shed turned over a barrel of fish food. No less than 40 pounds ,I think a lot more. Not one nugget of fish food could be found in that shed. How many coons does it take to eat forty pounds in one night.?

In the live traps I generally crack em between the eye's with a short. Bullet stays in the coon.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:07 am

why cant we just all get along
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:14 am

M-5 wrote:why cant we just all get along

We tried that. That's how it got outta hand.
Don't form alliances with varmints..they'll always be varmints.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:15 am

Hot wire around the chicken pen is effective
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:23 am

a garbage bag and a vehicle tail pipe makes a good euthanasia chamber
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:26 am

M-5 wrote:a garbage bag and a vehicle tail pipe makes a good euthanasia chamber

That's the way i'd have to do it.. Right now if I had a pen of dogs, I might would be tempted to throw it in...But gassing it is probably how i'll do it.
Just went out and fortified it. Since I move it around 4 times a day, everything has to move along the ground. He's really going to be be nice when he finds out he cant just reach in now. I have some snap traps I might put on top, just in case he decides to investigate other ways in. I don't think my cats would even attempt to jump up there, don't think they could. But a raccoon can climb up there easily, well, that was the first way he got in. We went without a top for months, knew eventually we'd need one....There's a top now, great place to just cover with traps... We started out with a dog kennel, put angle iron skids on it. I have a nest box attached to the side so I don't have to go in to get eggs. Its a great setup..I made problems for myself when I added some baby chicks, so everything is altered for them until I they get big enough to put with the grown chickens.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:27 am

I'll post pictures of I later, if anyone is interested in ideas on a chicken tractor... Hopefully I've worked out all the bugs..
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”