I now declare war

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
jkwilson
GURU
GURU

Re: I now declare war

Postby jkwilson » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:37 am

cowgirl8 wrote:
jkwilson wrote:I've caught 5 in a live trap in the last week. I have really good luck baiting them with Doritos. Cats don't bother with them but coons, possums and skunks love them.

What do you do with them.....this is what I struggle with....lol... Husband says if we shoot it in the trap, eventually the trap will be ruined. He said that 'I' can gas them with my 4wheeler...I suppose I can do this, just set it up and walk off for a while. Even for a evil bastart of a raccoon, I struggle...
I was trying to figure out what to bait with since I do have cats right there...I don't have doritos, but in a moment of weakness I did buy some pringles yesterday, and they are nacho cheese flavored....i'll try those..Thanks!

22 short in the top of the head. The barrel of my old Savage fits between some of the bars and the coons will usually try to bite it. I've killed dozens that way and never had a bullet pass through.

You want the trap away from the chickens. You'd be amazed how far a coon can get an arm outside the trap, and they'll grab anything they can. I wear a welding glove when I have to move the trap with a coon in it.
0 x

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:17 pm

We have lost several chickens also. We go out and find a headless body laying next to the chicken wire, no blood. I solved that problem by locking the hens up in the hen house at night now. Nothing gets in, and they can not come out until we open it in the morning. Kind of a pain in the rear, but beats finding a dead one every morning.
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:27 pm

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:We have lost several chickens also. We go out and find a headless body laying next to the chicken wire, no blood. I solved that problem by locking the hens up in the hen house at night now. Nothing gets in, and they can not come out until we open it in the morning. Kind of a pain in the rear, but beats finding a dead one every morning.

As soon as I merge the youngers ones with the older i'll redo the pen to have a place I can lock them up. That will be before winter so they'll have a good shelter then....
Everything is set up, no way a raccoon can get them now. I have the trap set with chips and a leftover piece of chicken he didn't eat last night.. FIngers crossed....
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:12 pm

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:We have lost several chickens also. We go out and find a headless body laying next to the chicken wire, no blood. I solved that problem by locking the hens up in the hen house at night now. Nothing gets in, and they can not come out until we open it in the morning. Kind of a pain in the rear, but beats finding a dead one every morning.

Headless chickens sounds like something in the weasel family
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:14 pm

dun wrote:

Headless chickens sounds like something in the weasel family

That is what Bright Raven said.... weasel.... go figure
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

plumber_greg
GURU
GURU

Postby plumber_greg » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:16 am

Get some fly bait and mix with coke in a pan. Problem solved. Gs
0 x
Just call me plumberscrack

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:33 am

plumber_greg wrote:Get some fly bait and mix with coke in a pan. Problem solved. Gs

That would poison it? Hey, I could use some antifreeze, I would just have to make sure my cats were locked up...
He didn't get in last night, my chickens are all safe. My traps were still set, BUT, I did put chips in it and they were gone. What happened is I also put part of the chicken in there, a piece of her wing. I picked the trap up and shook them to the very back, then thought he might rattle the cage to get them from the outside, so I shook the cage so the chips were closer to the trigger. When I did this, I didn't notice the chicken wing went under the trigger. SO he was able to go in and get the chips, without setting it off. Which might have been a good thing, right. I'll get him tonight.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

tja477t
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby tja477t » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:34 am

they make automatic door openers on a timer. they close at a set time open up about 5 minutes later to let the stragglers in and then close again. in the morning it opens the door back up at a time that you set.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:37 am

I'm going to make an automatic door when I build them a roosting house. Not sure how yet, but i'm working on it. The ones you buy are pretty expensive.
Didn't get the SOB last night. Again, he got the chips but didn't set off the trap. I may be dealing with a smarter than average raccoon. He did not get a chicken, so I think I have the tractor safe now...
0 x

plumber_greg
GURU
GURU

Postby plumber_greg » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:45 am

The cats and dogs won't drink the mix. Racoon will. Then take 3 steps and die. Gs
0 x
Just call me plumberscrack

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:20 am

plumber_greg wrote:The cats and dogs won't drink the mix. Racoon will. Then take 3 steps and die. Gs

Fly bait, is this something feed stores sell?
0 x

ddd75
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ddd75 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:18 am

every night I was 2 different mothers take their 4 young coons (8 total) and run across the woods I just bulldozed.

They run across different times every night or i'd wait with a gun.. they are smart!

they won't fall for my live traps anymore.. i've killed dozens.
0 x

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:02 am

Could be mice stealing the chips.
Fly bait is available at the local farm store. Make sure no pets can get near it, they'll be dead before you know what happened.
0 x

D2Cat
Rancher
Rancher

Postby D2Cat » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:31 am

plumber_greg wrote:The cats and dogs won't drink the mix. Racoon will. Then take 3 steps and die. Gs

I would not trust the cats and dogs to NOT consume the mixture. Whatever consumes it will be terminated, mice, rats, birds, possum, coons ....
0 x

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:49 am

We had civet cats at one time that would kill chickens. They were a small skunk like animal with spots on the back instead of strips like a skunk. I use twinkes for bait. I have one trap that the trip would take a heavy animal to trip it. The hava heart brand is the best out there. But a live trap if loaned to someone never comes home.
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”