inventing

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

inventing

Postby cowgirl8 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:02 am

One the verge of getting another patent. Worked on one accessory for it yesterday, all day yesterday. My hands are sore, I have cuts all over me. I was focused on getting this one option made. The idea has been in my head for years and its always satisfying to get it out and it actually works.
I do have my first patent on my mason jar attachment. I do plan to do something with it, just need to figure out the type of plastic to use and what kind of method of making them, pour or injection. There's no hurry though, I know eventually will get made. Might even license it to a company. It might take getting something else made to get it made.
This is weird, but I love to invent, but the process of getting something actually made and sold is my goal.
My new invention has potential to go viral. Soon as I get a patent pending, i'll let it out....
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

D2Cat
Rancher
Rancher

Re: inventing

Postby D2Cat » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:04 am

Creative people invent things all the time, because it solves an immediate problem. Whether it's fabing up a particular part or tool. Most just go on and don't proceed any further because of cost and time.

Good for you on your follow thru!
0 x

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:12 am

When will we see you on shark tank?
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:37 pm

hurleyjd wrote:When will we see you on shark tank?

This one could very well be on shark tank. Right now i'm investigating things that are already made that I can repurpose for this invention. Unlike my other that is molded plastic, this one can be build out of things already made. The plastic molding is what has me at a standstill on the other. I did make several silicone molds. That in itself was well worth the expense of getting the patent. I found that i'm pretty good at it and its fun. If I ever need a job i'd probably seek out something in that.
In laws came over to see the accessories i'm making for this thing. MIL announced that she's been sending out videos :stop: WHAT!!.... If this were to be posted on FB, it could go viral and it would be over. Its not just me that thinks this, everyone else that knows think the same. SO we have to keep it secret for now....
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:06 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:just need to figure out the type of plastic to use and what kind of method of making them, pour or injection.

Go with pour for now and determine how it will sell. Injection mold quality is far greater, but mold cost will be at least 10x that of a poured mold. Without knowing the product, i'm guessing you'll need either ABS or HDPE
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:19 pm

An injection mold is going to cost me over 20,000.. Its a 3 piece mold. If I could find a connection to China, I can have a mold made a whole lot cheaper. My husband is confident he could make an injection machine, but we'd still have to buy a mold. I think if I can get this other invention going, and I get money built up i'll invest in getting a mold and maybe even having them made. The plastic guy said that a big order the pieces will cost a little over a dollar for them to make....I have a lot of people wanting them, but not enough to pay the 20,000 for the mold. I did enter it in that new show Funderdome...it would be a good product for it. You never know....
0 x

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:22 pm

You may need to invest in a 3-d printer for making your prototypes. Dremel has one that will not set you back an arm and a leg. https://3dprinter.dremel.com/
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:36 pm

I've invented several new ways to "screw up" over the years.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:35 pm

TexasBred wrote:I've invented several new ways to "screw up" over the years.

Back off brother.
I have patent on that.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:40 pm

I read somewhere just today, that someone was inventing a bulletproof vest that looked just like a book and were going to youtube it in hopes it too would go viral.

"daddy's in the graveyard and mamma's in the penn.."
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:49 pm

A 3D printer is the way to go for prototypes, you should be able to hire it done. Injection molding machines are NOT a diy project. Machine size is based on tons of pressure. At very best you could build something for a pourable mold, but quality would not be any better than without it.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:06 pm

We had our prototype made with a 3D printer.. I used it to make silicone molds. I then used part of it to make a whole new piece and then made a mold out of that... Past all that part. But as far as us building a injection machine, we are capable in doing it. I'm just not sure if i'm up to selling and shipping them myself. 3D printers are good, but the item is made in layers. If the item is made in layers, it can split....
The problem with pouring is how much time it takes. I've experimented with several types of plastic. Each mold will hold up to about 30 pours. I've tried plastics that harden really really fast...too stressful....I have one that I get along with, 15 min hardening time, but its not really food grade. I've looked into one that sets in a couple hours and then you have to bake it. If I do anything with it, i'll just have a company make them, then, i'll feel less stressed if I have to ship.
0 x

Ol' 243
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ol' 243 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:48 pm

Please tell me it's a new type of trap to catch cougars. :lol:
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:35 am

Ol' 243 wrote:Please tell me it's a new type of trap to catch cougars. :lol:

No, wait, maybe...I guess it could be used for that. Hum...I keep finding uses for it. It started out for one simple task, but it will have more uses.
Got a response from a china distributer this morning via email. Alibaba...They said, We can make anything. Hum...wonder if that means something plastic too. Husband says they sell everything, so maybe. Maybe they can make my mold for my Jinder Blender...my first patented item...maybe they can just make them! i'll investigate......Here in the US, in Dallas, a company can make them for between 1 and 2 dollars. BUt, if I can get someone in china to make them for pennies....even better. I'll get this all figured out one day. The pieces will fall together...
0 x

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:03 am

cowgirl8 wrote:But as far as us building a injection machine, we are capable in doing it. .

No, you're not. I suspect you may not have a real understanding if what an injection mold machine actually is. It's far more than just squirting melted plastic in a mold.
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”