inventing

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Re: inventing

Postby cowgirl8 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:32 pm

M-5 wrote:Im sure it's been done , you might hit a lick patenting it but I can assure you it's been done. Might want to browse the last 40 yrs of farmshow mag.

Such positive vibes from you few... It may have been done, but not patented or sold. SO, check in the mail for a patent search(which I've already done but the patent guy,, i'm sure has better ways) Its not hard to do a patent search, did it on my first patent and of course found nothing. But, I cant search patent pendings and i'm sure there are other searches someone not in the business cant do. Happy to pay the guy to do it, then its just filing.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:43 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:
M-5 wrote:Im sure it's been done , you might hit a lick patenting it but I can assure you it's been done. Might want to browse the last 40 yrs of farmshow mag.

Such positive vibes from you few... It may have been done, but not patented or sold. SO, check in the mail for a patent search(which I've already done but the patent guy,, i'm sure has better ways) Its not hard to do a patent search, did it on my first patent and of course found nothing. But, I cant search patent pendings and i'm sure there are other searches someone not in the business cant do. Happy to pay the guy to do it, then its just filing.

so you were just searching for compliments and atta girls here then??
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:51 pm

No, just conversation.. Not sure why you guys have to turn it into this. I'd love to hear others experience. Like I said, its more about the learning to get a patent than what the patent is for, for me. Never once did I ask for a pat on my back. Nor did I want all this negativity... Anyone reading this, if you have an experience you'd like to share on getting a patent or something you invented, i'd love to hear it.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:52 pm

M-5 wrote: Might want to browse the last 40 yrs of farmshow mag.

They for sure have some interesting stuff in those magazines.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:53 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:

Didn't you know profit is an offensive word here, and most folks are more comfortable losing money than making it? Lol Don't ask if you don't wanna know. Sounds like you already know how it's gonna work out. Good luck.
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:11 pm

Hey, I am in the cattle business like everyone here....lol..very accustomed to loosing money. I'd love to be on the other end. I do have my youtube money that I can dip into for patent payments where it doesn't come out of the farm money, that's how I justify spending on patents. That's what holds me back, everything cost so much. When people say they are on a fixed income, hey, they should be on ours. One year we got like 1/2 what we did the year before..2011.....fixed sounded pretty good.
I just have this drive to invent things. My poor husband, bless his heart. Such a great guy but I know most of the ideas I throw his way, he wonders if I've totally lost my noodles. BUt this one, he's more excited than I am...and that's something.
I would love to hear anyones experiences of inventing, ideas they had and sold, anything....
0 x

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:27 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:Hey, I am in the cattle business like everyone here....lol..very accustomed to loosing money. I'd love to be on the other end. I do have my youtube money that I can dip into for patent payments where it doesn't come out of the farm money, that's how I justify spending on patents. That's what holds me back, everything cost so much. When people say they are on a fixed income, hey, they should be on ours. One year we got like 1/2 what we did the year before..2011.....fixed sounded pretty good.
I just have this drive to invent things. My poor husband, bless his heart. Such a great guy but I know most of the ideas I throw his way, he wonders if I've totally lost my noodles. BUt this one, he's more excited than I am...and that's something.
I would love to hear anyones experiences of inventing, ideas they had and sold, anything....

I had a good friend that spent a small fortune creating a gadget to hold two extensions together. Never sold one of them. I guess he never looked at Lowes and relized you could change the plugs and receptacles on his extension cords with twist together receptacles and plugs. If there is a problem you are trying to solve surley somone has had the problem and solved it.
Not trying to discourge you just dicussing it with you.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:42 pm

yes, I am registered with the US patent office
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Ol' 243
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ol' 243 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:26 pm

cowgirl8 wrote: My poor husband, bless his heart. Such a great guy but I know most of the ideas I throw his way, he wonders if I've totally lost my noodles.

Oh, I definitely feel for the guy, but most folks pain is self inflicted. :lol:
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:38 pm

hurleyjd wrote:I had a good friend that spent a small fortune creating a gadget to hold two extensions together. Never sold one of them. I guess he never looked at Lowes and relized you could change the plugs and receptacles on his extension cords with twist together receptacles and plugs. If there is a problem you are trying to solve surley somone has had the problem and solved it.
Not trying to discourge you just dicussing it with you.

No, I get it. My jar extender is a prime example. I know my market is limited. But, like I said, I wanted to learn the process and I've learned how to make silicone molds which is great knowledge to have. .
I have several inventions sitting around waiting for new ideas to finish them. I have a toilet cleaning system(how many are there of those). Mine is different and there is not one thing like it. There are things people have done that gave me the idea though. My logjam on it has been it doesn't work with all toilets. BUt it can, its just a little more work which defeats the purpose of it somewhat, but does work with the non water saver ones. Not only does it work good with regular toilets, but its interesting and ingenious(if I do say so myself) and its way friendlier than all the chemicals people flush. Its set to the side so that I can think on it. THen I have a invention that is only on paper(my head) that is pretty outrageous for a bed. Told husband about it and he poop pooped it, but then, someone comes out with a comforter that makes itself up.....now my bed idea doesn't sound so dumb...Then there are the ones I came up with years ago, that are made now or I found them already being made or patented. My sister, years and years ago, felt that rent movies would eventually be on DVDs, thought about having vending machines that you could rent them out of.. A couple years later Red Box appeared. We had a deer hunter who would always look for my FIL who was a government patent lawyer. He was retired and hid from anyone who wanted work out of him so the guy would come to our house and talk up his invention. It was pretty sad. What it was was a rope with a handle at the end. Yep, that's all it was. You tie one end on the deer you just shot and the handle helped you drag it. This guy was obsessed with it. It was really hard to be encouraging because it was a rope with a handle. We started hiding when he came around..lol..
I have a friend who we talked with for advice before we got our first patent. He got one on a dog waterer. It doesn't spill if it turns over. He lost his marriage and money on it. I think he said he's spent over 100,000 on it. My JB thing, I've spent maybe 2,500.. Not bad to have a prototype made and getting it patented and its mine for 14 more years(had the patent almost a year now). I'm very frugal and i'll know it when the time comes to take the leap into making them or seeking out someone to license it. This new thing, i'll spend 400 up front for the patent guy to do a search. Then another 1400 for him to draw up and file the patent. I'm skipping having someone make a prototype because I can make it. This will be something that might do well on a funding sight, I've got a great story which is apparently what people like to see. Its an excellent story that I can ham up. If I can get enough money, and remember that honey hive thing got over 1,000,000 without ever selling a thing (and its never going to work). Not that i'm saying mine will do that good, but I can dream. This new thing I can sell at local places myself. I can recoup the money that way, or it will be money I never see again.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:39 pm

M-5 wrote:yes, I am registered with the US patent office

What do you have patented?
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:38 pm

Just saw the My Pillow on a commercial. Reminded me of my pillow invention. Its one I used for many years until I finally found a pillow that works and getting the kids out of the house worked wonders on the perpetual crick in my neck. (Not that they were bad kids, just kept me too busy)....Anywho, I came up with this idea and forgot about it until the My Pillow guy invented his pillow. Its just a pillow with chunks of foam, they've been done for years, but I guess he's the first to patent it. I've tried pillows like that, even made my own out of latex which is way better than memory foam that just flattens out(will never understand it)...Well, what happens with the chunky pillows is, yes you can fluff them out, but if you toss and turn like me, by morning they've parted ways and my head is too low. So my invention fixes this. I made a few for some family who said they've never found a good pillow. It worked with any pillow and made it like it was brand new. Turned out the people who tested it really didn't have problems with their pillows so it was wasted effort, they just wanted one. I had a mountain of used pillows that worked for a couple months but got too smushed down to work and they caused me pain... I still think its a great idea and maybe one day i'll patent it or I've even considered getting in contact with the My Pillow guy and see his thoughts on it. Any time when i'm confronted with the comment, 'That's probably not patentable', I point to My Pillow...a pillow, got a patent. Its my understanding though that if, say, you've been selling pillows with chunks it doesn't matter if someone got a patent on it because you can still sell them if you can prove you sold them before.
0 x

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:29 pm

I compliment your enthusiasm and drive.
99.9 % of sales is not getting down when told no and truly having confidence in your product
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:35 pm

:pop: :pop: :pop:
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

tater74
Rancher
Rancher