"Pink Slime" vindicated- fake news is all it was....

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
slick4591
GURU
GURU

Re: "Pink Slime" vindicated- fake news is all it was....

Postby slick4591 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:48 pm

The technique of using an ammonia to "freshen or preserve" meats was first brought to my attention back in the early '80's. The grocery chain called Food Lion was fairly new in the DFW area back then and was caught "freshening" chickens that had an odor to them to extend the shelf life of the birds. This was long before Pink Slime was known about. Food Lion didn't last long after that and only a few stores remain in NC from what I gather. When I had my BBQ place ammonia was not allowed in my store as a cleaner as I figured the general public would also have the aversion to it.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:05 pm

Food Lion used bleach...

headquartered in Salisbury, North Carolina, that operates more than 1,100 supermarkets in 10 states of the Southeastern United States under the Food Lion banner
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:13 pm

HDRider wrote:Food Lion used bleach...

headquartered in Salisbury, North Carolina, that operates more than 1,100 supermarkets in 10 states of the Southeastern United States under the Food Lion banner

Not strictly. The Allen store, which was closest to me used ammonia also.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:10 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Cross-7 wrote:http://www.businessinsider.com/pink-slime-case-settlement-2017-6

My understanding it was the term " pink slime" and the defamation of BPI
The preferred term is "lean finely textured beef,"
However, even with assurances that the ingredient, made from the trimmings of a cow and treated with ammonia to kill bacteria

It may be safe to eat but do I unknowingly want it in my ground beef
Lots of parts of beef that I don't want to eat or to be ground up and sold to me as hamburger meat

Waste not want not, I say grind it all and call it lunch.

I think JBS tried that
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:19 pm

You can have all the "pink slime" you want, regardless of how safe it is.. I'll stick with good burger meat
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:05 pm

Jogeephus wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
slick4591 wrote:I'm not a fan of anything that gets blasted off the bone using an ammonia solution.

To each his own slick, I loves me some ammonia.

Do you think ABC would have been sued had they explained that ammonia has been used for thousands of years to preserve meat?

Do you think they would have been sued had they explained the Texan who invented this industrial process was mimicking natural processes which reduce salmonella and e-coli threats while thus reducing waste and making food cheaper?

Wonder if ABC would have been sued had they talked about how this man discovered a way to freeze meat in minutes rather than hours thus saving energy thus reducing the company's "carbon footprint"?

Do you think trying to educate the public rather than scaring the sheeple would have been good for their ratings? Or should we all just follow Chipotle's lead and just boycott any beef or beef products originating from Texas because its clear they don't know what they are doing? Apparently, ABC's attorneys didn't think they could find enough people to believe that.

:clap: :nod:
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:05 pm

Jo, I gotta ask how freezing something faster takes less energy... typically speaking, the colder the room compared to ambient the more energy it takes to keep it there, and the speed of something freezing doesn't change how much energy is required.

Other than that, I do agree with the questionable double standard
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:34 pm

Nesikep wrote:Jo, I gotta ask how freezing something faster takes less energy... typically speaking, the colder the room compared to ambient the more energy it takes to keep it there, and the speed of something freezing doesn't change how much energy is required.

Other than that, I do agree with the questionable double standard

I agree with your literal interpretation of the laws of physics. As you know, under law of conservation of energy, energy can neither be created nor destroyed because it just transformed from one to another. However, with this guy's invention he was confining the area of energy transformation to a minute area - the meat - which is far more efficient than had the meat been in a large freezer. So in that respect it took less energy to accomplish the same thing. Or do you think SEER ratings on heat pumps is just nonsense? I don't.

But this is really irrelevant because the important thing is the safety this fast freezing gave the product. I know there has been some claims that the meat was blasted off the fat and bone using shark's fitted with ammonia spewing lasers mounted to their heads or something like that but that is far from the truth. The meat was simply heated then mechanically separated then finely separated using centrifuges which pulled the fat off the meat then it was gassed and quick frozen. All of this was done under the watchful eye of the USDA meat inspectors.

All they were doing was making a meat emulsion. All meat emulsions are pink. For ABC to call their emulsion slime clearly shows they had an agenda because slime in the food industry is unsanitary and their product was anything but unsanitary.

Would I want to buy it? Probably not but I also don't care for hamburger made from beef hearts and tongue. For burger, I prefer ground chuck but some people would rather save a dollar. So what would you rather them do, buy chicken or beef? Personally, I want them to buy beef because the processing of chicken McNuggets is no different than what this company was doing yet where is the outcry on chicken? Why pick on beef? But if you will recall the era in which this aired you'll remember the beef industry was under attack from many sides from cow farts, over grazing federal lands, water pollution to pink slime.

You know, the black community impresses me the way they stick together. For example, you can take the sorriest black SOB in town who everyone knows is a worthless POS and have him rob a store high on dope then die at the hands of the police and most everyone in the black community will defend him to their last breath. Sadly it seems we get joy out of seeing someone someone in our industry who plays by the rules get thrown under the bus. Heck, some will even justify this by making up crap like ammonia spewing lasers on sharks when it only hurts us because WE ARE THE MEAT INDUSTRY and I think it important that we stay informed and know what's going on else we will no longer have an industry. Just look at what Chipotle just did to Texas beef. To say Texans are incapable of raising beef humanely is no different than ABC's attack on this company. We better wake up and stick together instead of sitting idly by and watching our industry get thrown under the bus by these agenda driven cupcakes that don't even know where chocolate milk comes from.

And for anyone who is unfamiliar with a meat emulsion here is a video of how bologna is made. ABC would call this pink slime.

http://www.travelchannel.com/videos/mak ... is-0186501
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:54 pm

I'm sure the 'pink slime' is not much different than the way McNuggets are made.. ground up chicken reformed into a patty, etc.. and I don't doubt ABC had an agenda...
I don't like "finely textured" anything, including bologna, most hot dogs, sandwich meats, etc.. Just too many opportunities to put stuff into it that you wouldn't eat if you knew it... I don't mind heart, liver, or tongue.. Kidney, brain, etc is over MY line. So I eat my own beef.

Looking at the flip side, and being the devils advocate.. Was BPI acting in favor of beef producers in making the stuff to begin with.. These days you know everything is going to come under scrutiny, and someone is going to get up in arms about everything.. Making the product, even though there is a market, doesn't mean the eventual backlash will do anyone any good.. even if the product is safe to eat
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:14 pm

Nesikep wrote:.. I don't mind heart, liver, or tongue.. Kidney, brain, etc is over MY line. So I eat my own beef.

Looking at the flip side, and being the devils advocate.. Was BPI acting in favor of beef producers in making the stuff to begin with.. These days you know everything is going to come under scrutiny, and someone is going to get up in arms about everything.. Making the product, even though there is a market, doesn't mean the eventual backlash will do anyone any good.. even if the product is safe to eat

In the US, beef brains and spinal cord cannot be used.

So are you saying companies shouldn't buy our cattle if they are going to make a product that offends someone else? That's an interesting and very progressive way of looking at things. I assume with this view you'd be for the shutting down of the pork industry because bacon offends muslims. If it ever comes to this I think our society is screwed.

The point is, CBS intentionally set out to up their ratings by exploiting the ignorance of the public at the expense of a segment of the beef industry. That's all it was. Nothing more nothing less.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:30 am

I'm saying that most of the people wouldn't eat it if they saw it, most likely, most of the people who make it won't eat it, nor would the FDA inspector except under duress.
I guess you could make some kind of spiced sausage out of kidney, lung, intestine, uterus, and whatever else, It might be perfectly safe to eat, heck, you might even make it taste good, but if someone digs past the "beef products" in the ingredients list and makes a stink about it.. well.. you did have it coming.
My point with my previous post was that backlash caused by bad publicity from ONE 'beef' product these days affects everyone with the way social media spreads things (Oh, and ABC).. People jumping on the vegan bandwagon, badmouthing ALL meat producers, etc.
It stems from the need to pinch *every* penny... this LFTB is perfectly suited for cat food, where no one cares about the processing that much... Now you put it into human food and people care.. In the long run we lose..

As they say, penny wise and pound foolish? The reputation of beef is important, and this stuff that sours customers doesn't help any of us... Even those that market direct to the conscientious customer, all base their prices somehow or another on going price of beef.. so if the generic beef takes a big hit, you will too.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:24 am

And with unbiased non-agenda driven reporting this would not even have been an issue. The news media can make villains out of angels. This is why ABC got their azz handed to them in this lawsuit.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:47 am

Yup, agreed!.. I was in no way defending their part in it
0 x

Admin010
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Admin010 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:29 am

thanks
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:09 am

Does pink slime taste better than blood sausage? Neither one sounds good to me.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”