Where should we move to???

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
BFE
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Where should we move to???

Postby BFE » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:57 am

It's hard for me to believe anyone would want to leave the People's Republic of Illinois! Seriously, I love it here, but the Chicago Machine has ruined our state. Don't blame you, I've considered it too. Look on Craigslist, seems there's always a lot of nice farms for sale in Missouri.
0 x
Formerly known as Clodhopper from SE IL

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:25 am

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhom ... 2482-15148
Ever considered KS? $2300 per acre, fenced, pond, no house but mineral rights convey (huge - lot of oil drilled around here). 15 minutes to town, 1 hour from Wichita, 2 large animal vets & local Sale Barn, 4-H is huge for the kiddos . . . .
0 x

greatgerts
GURU
GURU

Postby greatgerts » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:08 am

talltimber wrote:Also maybe check out Potosi/Farmington area maybe? Not far from the city if a drive isn't out of the question. Lot of cow ground in that area.

Oh, you didn't say you were German. You need to look at the area west of St Genevieve towards Farmington for sure then. She will have a drive though, to a major hospital most likely.

That was the same area I was going to mention. Potosi can have some rough ground, but it's decent for cattle. De Soto area has some options, and you are about 10 minutes from 4 lane highway that will get you into the major hospitals within 45 minutes.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:12 am

http://www.peabodyrecreationallands.com ... perty=2206

This one is right across the road from the Vet, has four sale barns within an hour, several bigger cities within an hour or so with a few towns big enough for hospitals closer, and the best fence supplies in the land only 7 miles away. I'd be glad to do my part to get some of the deer killed off for you.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

torogmc81
Rancher
Rancher

Postby torogmc81 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:18 pm

I'd be open to KS, OK, and other great plains. But no matter how convincing I can be, my wife will always think that spiders and tornadoes are two of the most dangerous things on this earth. :roll:
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:05 pm

torogmc81 wrote:I'd be open to KS, OK, and other great plains. But no matter how convincing I can be, my wife will always think that spiders and tornadoes are two of the most dangerous things on this earth. :roll:

Tornadoes - I get that, been hit twice (but they're not just in KS/OK). Spiders? Nothing like the ones I saw when we lived in AZ & TX. But if mama's not happy ain't nobody happy! Best of luck in your search!
0 x

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:24 pm

TCRanch wrote:http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/W-Of-151st-Rd_Winfield_KS_67156_M72482-15148
Ever considered KS? $2300 per acre, fenced, pond, no house but mineral rights convey (huge - lot of oil drilled around here). 15 minutes to town, 1 hour from Wichita, 2 large animal vets & local Sale Barn, 4-H is huge for the kiddos . . . .

How many cows to the acre year round ?
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:54 pm

Cross-7 wrote:
TCRanch wrote:http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/W-Of-151st-Rd_Winfield_KS_67156_M72482-15148

No, no, no, you are NOT moving again.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:03 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Cross-7 wrote:

No, no, no, you are NOT moving again.

My first territory was in Kansas.
I couldn't get back home fast enough, but I've missed it ever since.
I've about got this place ready to roll.
A few more small jobs and I think I can do ok on it. I think ??? I kind of fell in love with it and put too much into it but it has turned out nice, but I may be into too deep. It's going to depend on the appraisal.
Selling it for a price vs appraisal value are two different things.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:32 pm

Cross-7 wrote:

Generally 5 - 10 acres per cow, all contingent on the weather. We're pushing it in the central pasture right now with 47 cows, 41 calves & 2 bulls but we've had 2 relatively mild winters and a lot of rain so the pasture is doing great. We keep the weanlings in the west 80 but they can graze the winter brome so that's not a problem. Retained heifers are in the east 80, generally no more than 10.
I grew up in Kansas, moved away for 13 years but wanted to come back home (cue Dorothy and her blingy red shoes).
0 x

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:09 pm

TCRanch wrote:
Cross-7 wrote:

Generally 5 - 10 acres per cow, all contingent on the weather. We're pushing it in the central pasture right now with 47 cows, 41 calves & 2 bulls but we've had 2 relatively mild winters and a lot of rain so the pasture is doing great. We keep the weanlings in the west 80 but they can graze the winter brome so that's not a problem. Retained heifers are in the east 80, generally no more than 10.
I grew up in Kansas, moved away for 13 years but wanted to come back home (cue Dorothy and her blingy red shoes).

Cross-7 wrote:

Same here 5-10 depending on the place, grass, soil, rainfall, management, access to water and etc. and so on.
Most land brings 1100-1200, some more, some less. Borrowing money is tough. Appraisal is always less than selling price. I guess lenders are just protecting themselves. Probably been burned in the pasted and are more cautious. It's not a big deal. More money upfront but less interest so it benefits the buyer.
Still miss Kansas.
Last edited by Cross-7 on Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

littletom
Rancher
Rancher

Postby littletom » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:42 pm

I think you are on the right tract with ky. Western part of the state be little higher. Right here where I am at good crop ground 3-5000 good pasture 2-2800. Two good size yards within 30 mins my wife and several other vets close by. Some farms and land for sale. If more interested shoot me a p.m.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:54 pm

Cross-7 wrote:Selling it for a price vs appraisal value are two different things.

When we had this place appraised I mentioned to the appraiser that I hope it came out high enough. His response was "It's easy to get a high appraisal on a good place, it's the others that are hard"
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:37 am

It seems "here" they take an average price for the area.
A really good place can appraise lower than it's actual value and a sorry place can apraise for more than it's worth due to the average.
It's odd to me here farm ground appraises for more than good grass. Factor in cheap commodities and high inputs and it's more risky than hay and cattle.
I can see it in areas with big corn or bean yields but that's apples to oranges.
25 bushel wheat at 3.50 isn't going to cash flow.
But 600 calves won't either.
0 x

ddd75
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ddd75 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:23 am

i always meet the appraiser and tell them what I need it to appraise at.

I'm always.. REAL nice and everytime they appraisal is exactly what I tell them..
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”