Where should we move to???

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Re: Where should we move to???

Postby Son of Butch » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:32 am

dun wrote:Where ever you look, check the politics of the state and area before deciding. While it may not seem all that important, when people with an agenda that is totally contrary to yours take charge, you will want to leave

You're right... he's coming from Illinois. He may have to move to Massachusetts to find what he is accustom to. :)
0 x

BFE
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BFE » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:12 am

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
torogmc81 wrote:
dun wrote:Where ever you look, check the politics of the state and area before deciding. While it may not seem all that important, when people with an agenda that is totally contrary to yours take charge, you will want to leave

You're absolutely right, we've been looking into that as well. So if anyone has any insight on states, especially KY, TN, OH, IN, AR, it'd be great to know what's cooking.

It is against our Indiana state constitution to take on any debt. We also never have a state budget, since we don't buy it if we can't afford it. Last I heard, we had a surplus of a couple hundred million, and reserves over two billion. Hopefully we can afford to buy Illinois with our savings some day when the last of their leaders go to prison.....except for Chicago and East St. Louis. Indiana would look good with more waterfront property. :cowboy:

Laugh all you want, but that would be the best thing that ever happened to us. In our area, all but one of the major factories have shut down, but you go across the river and Indiana's manufacturing is thriving. To make up for the lack of jobs, the Illinois legislature just raised state taxes by 32%! :bang:
0 x
Formerly known as Clodhopper from SE IL

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:25 am

https://waco.craigslist.org/grd/6204169644.html

I've been keeping my eye on this place would love to have it.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:02 am

wacocowboy wrote:https://waco.craigslist.org/grd/6204169644.html

I've only been to that little community a couple of times over the years but it looks like a great place to live. Just something "good" about it.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:29 am

TexasBred wrote:

I've only been to that little community a couple of times over the years but it looks like a great place to live. Just something "good" about it.

I don't know about now but there was some drug problems in Mart. They also have a youth prison lol. There are a lot of good people in that area. Some good high school football.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:57 am

BFE wrote:
torogmc81 wrote:You're absolutely right, we've been looking into that as well. So if anyone has any insight on states, especially KY, TN, OH, IN, AR, it'd be great to know what's cooking.

It is against our Indiana state constitution to take on any debt. We also never have a state budget, since we don't buy it if we can't afford it. Last I heard, we had a surplus of a couple hundred million, and reserves over two billion. Hopefully we can afford to buy Illinois with our savings some day when the last of their leaders go to prison.....except for Chicago and East St. Louis. Indiana would look good with more waterfront property. :cowboy:

Laugh all you want, but that would be the best thing that ever happened to us. In our area, all but one of the major factories have shut down, but you go across the river and Indiana's manufacturing is thriving. To make up for the lack of jobs, the Illinois legislature just raised state taxes by 32%! :bang:

Laughing? I was serious. :banana: Unemployment is effectively zero around here....Anyone who wants a job, has one.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:27 am

La Crosse Wisconsin pop. 50,000
I passed through a village in Wi. with a population under 400 with 4 bars all in a row... can't remember it's name.
Thinking... they must have very competitive Happy Hours.
But there are a lot of other tiny towns in Wisconsin with multiple bars too.
0 x

ddd75
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ddd75 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:10 pm

BFE wrote:

Laughing? I was serious. :banana: Unemployment is effectively zero around here....Anyone who wants a job, has one.

walk in hiring on the spot here at about a dozen places. 16-30 / hr, 100% insurance paid, vacation, etc..

Paying 18 bucks an hour to drive brand new cars into rail containers.

can't get anyone to work.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:36 pm

ddd75 wrote:
BFE wrote:Laugh all you want, but that would be the best thing that ever happened to us. In our area, all but one of the major factories have shut down, but you go across the river and Indiana's manufacturing is thriving. To make up for the lack of jobs, the Illinois legislature just raised state taxes by 32%! :bang:

walk in hiring on the spot here at about a dozen places. 16-30 / hr, 100% insurance paid, vacation, etc..

Shows you the type of neighbors you'll have if you move to Kentucky.
Seems to be another strong reason to choose Indiana or South Dakota.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:47 pm

Son of Butch wrote:
ddd75 wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:Laughing? I was serious. :banana: Unemployment is effectively zero around here....Anyone who wants a job, has one.

Shows you the type of neighbors you'll have if you move to Kentucky.
Seems to be another strong reason to choose Indiana or South Dakota.

I've lived in three states, and right there ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ they are. Good, hard working people everywhere. Azzholes everywhere.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

bird dog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bird dog » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:56 pm

TexasBred wrote:

Mart is okay. Not much there. Groesbeck is about 15 miles to the east and has most everything you need including a sale barn though I didn't care for it. My previous ranch that I sold last June is about 8 miles northeast from Mart. Lots of good folks in the area. Most of the flat areas are row cropped. The rolling areas are cattle places. There are a couple real large land owners in the area including the Mormon church who bought the the 40K acre Tippi ranch a couple years ago. My place was mostly bottom land that flooded a couple times a year and sold for about $2250/acre. It had a small livable cabin and a large new barn but also had some acreage that was unusable and a shared driveway. The bottom land put out a lot of grass. Make sure you get a survey. My place had fences a ways a way from the property line and bordered one small tract where ownership was unknown. The shared driveway was also a mess when it came time to establish ownership. All the old timers knew it went with my place but there was no record of it at the courthouse. Took awhile to straighten that out.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:16 pm

wacocowboy wrote:
TexasBred wrote:

I don't know about now but there was some drug problems in Mart. They also have a youth prison lol. There are a lot of good people in that area. Some good high school football.

Didn't know about the prison. All I ever seem to hear or read about is Marlin. Sounds like a real shythole. Haven't been there in ages but am told it's almost a ghost town.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:29 pm

TexasBred wrote:
wacocowboy wrote:
TexasBred wrote:I've only been to that little community a couple of times over the years but it looks like a great place to live. Just something "good" about it.

Didn't know about the prison. All I ever seem to hear or read about is Marlin. Sounds like a real shythole. Haven't been there in ages but am told it's almost a ghost town.

Yep Marlin is a dump. Only thing good is the feed store.
0 x

southerngentleman
Beginner
Beginner

Postby southerngentleman » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:41 pm

I'm planning to move too. looking for a place with cheap land and good acre to cattle ratio
0 x

bird dog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bird dog » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:09 pm

Interesting question southerngentleman. What do you consider "cheap land" and "good acre to cattle ratio"? The original poster Torogmc wants something better than 4 to 5 acres per animal unit. In Texas and New Mexico it can be anywhere from 4 to 200 but probably averages around 8 to 10. In my opinion, the area around where Cross 7 is, is some of the best bang for the buck.
Where are you at now?
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”