Where should we move to???

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Where should we move to???

Postby greybeard » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:25 pm

I agree with all the suggestions except those from Bird Dog, WacoCowboy, TexasBred, and HurleyJD.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:18 pm

TexasBred wrote:Central Texas.... Waco area and 50 miles around it. Got about anything you want. Waco is about 100,000 folks...all neighboring communities are small 500---3000 people. No state income tax in Texas and cost of living is very reasonable.

Easy there TB... we don't even know how he votes yet. We don't need any more librocrats.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:52 am

bird dog wrote:Interesting question southerngentleman. What do you consider "cheap land" and "good acre to cattle ratio"? The original poster Torogmc wants something better than 4 to 5 acres per animal unit. In Texas and New Mexico it can be anywhere from 4 to 200 but probably averages around 8 to 10. In my opinion, the area around where Cross 7 is, is some of the best bang for the buck.
Where are you at now?

Farther east land prices go up but stocking rate goes up.
Buy in on a per cow basis is cheaper.
More trees, hills, water but lots more people too
0 x

southerngentleman
Beginner
Beginner

Postby southerngentleman » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:09 am

bird dog wrote:Interesting question southerngentleman. What do you consider "cheap land" and "good acre to cattle ratio"? The original poster Torogmc wants something better than 4 to 5 acres per animal unit. In Texas and New Mexico it can be anywhere from 4 to 200 but probably averages around 8 to 10. In my opinion, the area around where Cross 7 is, is some of the best bang for the buck.
Where are you at now?

Cheap land I was thinking no more than a few thousand per acre. Ideally $2,000 or less. Seems land has gone up a lot recently. I might add that it'll be a few years before I purchase the land as I am still saving up money but just trying to start my due diligence. of course by then who knows how much more land will be. probably more.

4 to 5 acres per animal unit seems reasonable enough, would certainly prefer the lowest I could go.

will be hard to find both cheap land and good stocking ratio though... especially if I plan to stay in Texas. I am looking from Texas to Arkansas to Tennessee to North Carolina and in the states south of those. although I may have to look more up North.
I'm starting to gather.

:deadhorse:

I apologize for the hijack OP. let me know if you are bothered and I can start a new thread. :dunce:
0 x

southerngentleman
Beginner
Beginner

Postby southerngentleman » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:10 am

Cross-7 wrote:
Where are you at now?

Farther east land prices go up but stocking rate goes up.
Buy in on a per cow basis is cheaper.
More trees, hills, water but lots more people too

are you talkin bout Arkansas? or even further East Okie than you are?
0 x

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:31 am

Not sure about Arkansas, but eastern Oklahoma and when when I was in NE Oklahoma you could buy in pretty cheap in SW Missouri
0 x

torogmc81
Rancher
Rancher

Postby torogmc81 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:35 am

No apologies needed SG, go right ahead. Just good to know i'm not the only crazy out there spinning their globe picking a new spot with their finger LOL
0 x

BFE
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BFE » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:40 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
BFE wrote:
It is against our Indiana state constitution to take on any debt. We also never have a state budget, since we don't buy it if we can't afford it. Last I heard, we had a surplus of a couple hundred million, and reserves over two billion. Hopefully we can afford to buy Illinois with our savings some day when the last of their leaders go to prison.....except for Chicago and East St. Louis. Indiana would look good with more waterfront property. :cowboy:

Laugh all you want, but that would be the best thing that ever happened to us. In our area, all but one of the major factories have shut down, but you go across the river and Indiana's manufacturing is thriving. To make up for the lack of jobs, the Illinois legislature just raised state taxes by 32%! :bang:

Laughing? I was serious. :banana: Unemployment is effectively zero around here....Anyone who wants a job, has one.

http://www.navigatorjournal.com/news/ar ... 23522.html

This is an editorial from the local paper. FFS, you're not the only one who is serious!
0 x
Formerly known as Clodhopper from SE IL

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:55 am

BFE wrote:
BFE wrote:Laugh all you want, but that would be the best thing that ever happened to us. In our area, all but one of the major factories have shut down, but you go across the river and Indiana's manufacturing is thriving. To make up for the lack of jobs, the Illinois legislature just raised state taxes by 32%! :bang:

Laughing? I was serious. :banana: Unemployment is effectively zero around here....Anyone who wants a job, has one.

http://www.navigatorjournal.com/news/ar ... 23522.html

This is an editorial from the local paper. FFS, you're not the only one who is serious!

Very interesting. I'd love to see them pull that off.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

BFE
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BFE » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:41 am

I would too. I think most of the rural areas in the state would like to divorce Chicago and Springfield, not just the southern third. I know the southern third would in a heartbeat.
0 x
Formerly known as Clodhopper from SE IL

torogmc81
Rancher
Rancher

Postby torogmc81 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:00 pm

UPDATE:

Well, this whole situation has gotten real interesting. We ended up visiting N. Kentucky this weekend. Saw some good, saw some bad. But it only takes one property, and that one, was right up our alley. Barn even had a full working system, tub and all. And compared to everything else we looked, the pasture was 98% cleared, recently fenced, and not as dramatic as terrain as the others, but still breathtaking (especially comparing to Illinois, LOL).

And of course, I had told the wife to be patient, and wait to see if she gets a call back for an in person interview, before we go looking and "scouting". But I was trying to keep her happy, and gave in. We came back early Monday morning, and of course, they call her today for an interview, for next week. Yup, I called it :nod: :bang: :bang: :bang:

There's still a lot of hurdles to climb and decisions to be made. This is going to be a tough one ........

Thank you all again for your help and input, to be continued .....

Justin
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:04 am

torogmc81 wrote:UPDATE:

Well, this whole situation has gotten real interesting. We ended up visiting N. Kentucky this weekend. Saw some good, saw some bad. But it only takes one property, and that one, was right up our alley. Barn even had a full working system, tub and all. And compared to everything else we looked, the pasture was 98% cleared, recently fenced, and not as dramatic as terrain as the others, but still breathtaking (especially comparing to Illinois, LOL).

And of course, I had told the wife to be patient, and wait to see if she gets a call back for an in person interview, before we go looking and "scouting". But I was trying to keep her happy, and gave in. We came back early Monday morning, and of course, they call her today for an interview, for next week. Yup, I called it :nod: :bang: :bang: :bang:

There's still a lot of hurdles to climb and decisions to be made. This is going to be a tough one ........

Thank you all again for your help and input, to be continued .....

Justin

We might be neighbors!
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:50 pm

plus the collective IQ of TT's neighborhood would be raised
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:00 pm

Says the clown from Frost Bite Falls with a Johnny Cash fetish...
0 x

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:11 pm

Dont come to Texas. No offense. Trying to get a petition started to get starbucks banned from the state and we are getting overpopulated. :D
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”