All fence and fence builders are NOT created equal.

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

All fence and fence builders are NOT created equal.

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:16 pm

This is a job I didn't get in late 2008.....when we really needed the work. It's close to home, but evidently we were just a few cents higher per foot on the bid. Make sure that you are comparing similar products when building or having fence built. I suppose that no brace would ever fail if there is never any tension on the wire. :bang: Class I low carbon is no match in this part of the world for Class III high tensile. It was interesting watching that crew......Horse drawn post driver.

0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: All fence and fence builders are NOT created equal.

Postby greybeard » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:26 pm

Probably a good thing there was no tension on the wire...what's holding the twist stick in place?

I'm not terribly knowledgeable on woven wire, but isn't it supposed to be at least tight enough to pull the circled indents straight?

0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:29 pm

Lots of land getting fragmented between here in Austin 5 to 50 acre ranchettes the call em.
We get some of it. But being from town they hire fence builder's from town. They go online instead of just walking in any store and asking for fence.
Anyway people always saying all that building south of town gotta be good for business. I tells em no , it'll be good for business in about 3 years when that shyt starts falling down.

I assure my customers they are going to get good work by putting it where my mouth is.
I pay for everything with my money. Not a dime due till it's done...if I like you I'll let you pay it out.
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:06 pm

It is shocking what otherwise knowledgeable farmers consider good fencing techniques and practices.

I try to keep up with what you and Fence post. I think my fencing guy is pretty good.

When you get down here, I can show you the fence Kevin just put in under the CAIP program. The guy they employ to inspect it was an eighty year old local farm. He rated the job as excellent. Of course, he is familiar with Burton Fencing.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:21 pm

Depends on the limitations being faced. In the MO Ozarks, any posts that are withing 2 feet of the centerline is considered a straight fence.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:47 pm

Bright Raven wrote:It is shocking what otherwise knowledgeable farmers consider good fencing techniques and practices.

I try to keep up with what you and Fence post. I think my fencing guy is pretty good.

When you get down here, I can show you the fence Kevin just put in under the CAIP program. The guy they employ to inspect it was an eighty year old local farm. He rated the job as excellent. Of course, he is familiar with Burton Fencing.

I've done my homework on Kevin. His work is top notch.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:22 pm

dun wrote:Depends on the limitations being faced. In the MO Ozarks, any posts that are withing 2 feet of the centerline is considered a straight fence.

:lol: I always say no such thing as purty straight. It's either straight or it's crooked.
My crew hates that saying.
0 x

David Crockett

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:42 pm

greybeard wrote:Probably a good thing there was no tension on the wire...what's holding the twist stick in place?

I'm not terribly knowledgeable on woven wire, but isn't it supposed to be at least tight enough to pull the circled indents straight?

It's pretty standard to pull all of the tension curve out of low carbon, and leave about half of it in high tensile. The real concern in that picture is the rust on an 8 year old fence.
0 x

D2Cat
Rancher
Rancher

Postby D2Cat » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:10 pm

callmefence wrote:
:lol: I always say no such thing as purty straight. It's either straight or it's crooked.

I have people who say, "I'll try...." I tell them there is no try, either do or do not!
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:29 am

i dont' see how people can't get a post straight.

i've had dozens of people help me pound posts and only 1 of them has had the ability to put them in straight.

i can do it all by myself better then with someone else usually.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:09 am

ddd75 wrote:i dont' see how people can't get a post straight.

i've had dozens of people help me pound posts and only 1 of them has had the ability to put them in straight.

Getting them in straight isn;t the issue, it's finding enough dirt that is soft enough (i.e. not rock) that you can get it in the ground at all
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:15 am

dun wrote:

Getting them in straight isn;t the issue, it's finding enough dirt that is soft enough (i.e. not rock) that you can get it in the ground at all

For the most part I'd rather be in rock than dirt.
0 x

David Crockett

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:03 am

D2Cat wrote:
callmefence wrote:

I have people who say, "I'll try...." I tell them there is no try, either do or do not!

Now, we know who you really are..

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/do.gif
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:06 am

callmefence wrote:
dun wrote:

For the most part I'd rather be in rock than dirt.

Explain. Why would you rather be in rock? Plus, if you get into shallow bedrock in my area, they have to go from driving to drilling. And that slows down progress.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:33 am

dun wrote:

That's life around here too in all the perimeter fences... lots of big rock below.. do what you want, that post is either going to be in crooked, or you're moving it in one direction or another to try and find a place with less rock... The 3rd option is to shatter the post.
Dividing fences are usually a little better, there's a little more dirt in the fields.
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”