Sometimes....

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Sometimes....

Postby cowgirl8 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:18 am

Sometimes I feel bad that we make our living on food animals. These little beings look to us to care for them, then we send them off to who knows what, then its over. We end any chance of reproduction, we keep them safe and sheltered to the extent they cant survive without us....then we send them off to be killed and eaten. Sometimes I do feel bad :cry2: that I do have a part of that..................then I get over it. ;-)
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Sometimes....

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:18 am

Never been much of a Disney fan so I've always felt my calves give their lives so others might live. Remove their value and they would surely starve to death.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:11 pm

Jogeephus wrote:Never been much of a Disney fan so I've always felt my calves give their lives so others might live. Remove their value and they would surely starve to death.

I totally understand and I feel this way 95% of the time. But, when I see the calves playing and having fun, I just drift to the 5%.... for just a moment
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:20 pm

One of the worst things I've seen was when they shut down our last market for cull horses. As long as something has value people care for it.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:37 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:Sometimes I feel bad that we make our living on food animals. These little beings look to us to care for them, then we send them off to who knows what, then its over. We end any chance of reproduction, we keep them safe and sheltered to the extent they cant survive without us....then we send them off to be killed and eaten. Sometimes I do feel bad :cry2: that I do have a part of that..................then I get over it. ;-)

Dang you cg8....I'm sure some yankweed from Georgia will be along to call me a liberal or a cupcake. :D
We took a load of steers I had weaned 60 days.
I had fed em every day on leftover grain. They were all in their pen surrounded by other pens of calves. I was on the catwalk comparing mine to the others. You know what I mean...
Anyway a fellow comes down the walk I know.
We started talking from several feet away. At the sound of my voice
Every calf in that pen looks up right at me and they crowd up in the corner of the pen right under me. Looking up at me almost like they were waiting for some guidance...I didn't feel , sorry, guilty or sad.....But I felt something
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:50 pm

callmefence wrote:
cowgirl8 wrote:Sometimes I feel bad that we make our living on food animals. These little beings look to us to care for them, then we send them off to who knows what, then its over. We end any chance of reproduction, we keep them safe and sheltered to the extent they cant survive without us....then we send them off to be killed and eaten. Sometimes I do feel bad :cry2: that I do have a part of that..................then I get over it. ;-)

Dang you cg8....I'm sure some yankweed from Georgia will be along to call me a liberal or a cupcake. :D
We took a load of steers I had weaned 60 days.
I had fed em every day on leftover grain. They were all in their pen surrounded by other pens of calves. I was on the catwalk comparing mine to the others. You know what I mean...
Anyway a fellow comes down the walk I know.
We started talking from several feet away. At the sound of my voice
Every calf in that pen looks up right at me and they crowd up in the corner of the pen right under me. Looking up at me almost like they were waiting for some guidance...I didn't feel , sorry, guilty or sad.....But I felt something

Yeah, like that......
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:20 am

callmefence wrote:

Same here. I felt.......................like I wished I had 2-3 pens of them instead of just a corner full.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:26 am

It bothers me. I think not as much on an emotional level as on a logic level. Seems contrary to change objective so radically.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:58 am

You have to think of them as your crop,, like corn, beans, wheat...
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:25 am

only ever had One that I regretted but it was what was needed . Most of you need to open a ZOO if you cant separate the "FEELINGS" .
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:34 am

M-5 wrote:only ever had One that I regretted but it was what was needed . Most of you need to open a ZOO if you cant separate the "FEELINGS" .

I don't think I've seen anyone that warrants a zoo. Welcome back
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

DLD
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby DLD » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:22 pm

My wife and I both showed cattle when we were in school, our 24 year old showed from the time he was 5 through the fall after he graduated, and our twins who are now juniors have shown since they were 7. I can't count the number of show steers we've fed out, and sure couldn't begin to count the hours we've spent with them. You just can't help but get attached to them - some way more than others, they all have their own personalities. But you always have to remember what you're raising beef. They're all destined for someone's dinner table, like I tell the kids - you've given them a far better life than most cattle get, now it's time for them to move on and us to start over on the next set. A few of them warrant shedding a few tears, but life goes on. I think that's a good thing for kids to learn.
0 x

shaz
GURU
GURU

Postby shaz » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:49 pm

If I lived at a buffet table and someone always took care of me and didn't have to work I would expect to be eaten and/or have my offspring sold. It's a pretty fair deal.
0 x
Grab the bull by the horns.....then what are you supposed to do?

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:03 pm

I've never really gotten attached to livestock...now dogs are a different situation. Don't guess I've ever lost a dog that I didn't blubber like a big ol' baby and they were little more than loyal companions who trusted me to take care of them.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:02 pm

TexasBred wrote:I've never really gotten attached to livestock...now dogs are a different situation. Don't guess I've ever lost a dog that I didn't blubber like a big ol' baby and they were little more than loyal companions who trusted me to take care of them.

I lost a dog I cared for a lot back in 1983. After that, I vowed to never feel that way towards a dog ever again. My dogs live a good life, but I built a wall that's not detectable, but its there because of Sam. Not that I don't get emotional, but its quick and then over and I get another dog.....Horses on the other hand, I really hate that my mare is getting old. That wall is there, it will upset me, not sure if the wall is tall enough..
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”