Anyone here raise pigs? Need feed advice.

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
BK9954
GURU
GURU

Anyone here raise pigs? Need feed advice.

Postby BK9954 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:04 pm

I have some hogs I am feeding out distillery waste, it only tested 11.7% protien but has more starch. It has a lot of whole corn in it. I am feeding half distillery grain, half crushed corn(free choice daily), and a 30 gallon mix of veggie trimmings every 2 days. This consist of cabbage, lettuce, watermelon rind, potato and sweet potato peel and a variety of fruit trimmings like apple, banana, strawberries etc...
Is this a recipe for fattening?. I feel short on protien, am I right? I am only feeding 3 out right now.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Re: Anyone here raise pigs? Need feed advice.

Postby Craig Miller » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:28 pm

Yep. That's more in line with a finisher type feed. You need about 18 to start them up to about a month then 16 would be a good grower and you could finish out on that if you wanted to. One of the other guys works in a pig growing house....i think simangus...maybe he will chime in
0 x

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:40 pm

These hogs are about 75 pound feeders.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:43 am

BK9954 wrote:I have some hogs I am feeding out distillery waste, it only tested 11.7% protien but has more starch. It has a lot of whole corn in it. I am feeding half distillery grain, half crushed corn(free choice daily), and a 30 gallon mix of veggie trimmings every 2 days. This consist of cabbage, lettuce, watermelon rind, potato and sweet potato peel and a variety of fruit trimmings like apple, banana, strawberries etc...
Is this a recipe for fattening?. I feel short on protien, am I right? I am only feeding 3 out right now.

Extremely short on protein. I'm sure they love this mix but it's not much. It's basically what we use to call "slop".
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:14 am

TexasBred wrote:
BK9954 wrote:I have some hogs I am feeding out distillery waste, it only tested 11.7% protien but has more starch. It has a lot of whole corn in it. I am feeding half distillery grain, half crushed corn(free choice daily), and a 30 gallon mix of veggie trimmings every 2 days. This consist of cabbage, lettuce, watermelon rind, potato and sweet potato peel and a variety of fruit trimmings like apple, banana, strawberries etc...

Extremely short on protein. I'm sure they love this mix but it's not much. It's basically what we use to call "slop".

yeah these guys dont cook it down and are using too much whole corn. Tx A&M results were not favorable when I got it tested. They love it but should I stop wasting my time?
0 x

halfbean
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby halfbean » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:26 am

Producer's Coop sells a pretty good 14% pelleted hog feed for around $7.50 a sack. I have fed out a lot of pigs on it and they never went off the feed.
0 x

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:29 am

halfbean wrote:Producer's Coop sells a pretty good 14% pelleted hog feed for around $7.50 a sack. I have fed out a lot of pigs on it and they never went off the feed.

Yeah I can hog feed it at that price in Gonzales, and crushed corn at 5.25 a bag as well. At the price of pork it just doesnt math out.
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:36 am

Any chance you could get some waste milk from somewhere/somebody in order to up their protein? I'm thinking waste milk, as it is not as costly as bagged feed. Just a thought.

They need a bit more protein, at this size.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:40 am

Nope no one here raises pigs :lol: I raise them as we spoke before but my pigs feed consists of brewers grain milk break cakes waste veggies and whatever slop I can get from the house and the produce center normally gives me 2 pallets of waste veggies.. they get peanuts too. TB knows more about nutritional wise but mine have a good bit of fat and taste good.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:56 am

0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:35 am

If I could find that kind of a feed source I would have 50 pigs.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:02 am

BK9954 wrote:If I could find that kind of a feed source I would have 50 pigs.

I have about 30 left now had 86 im not buying anymore I want them to all get sold but my special ones that I will be eating I am bidding a hauling contract now to haul 15k-20k tons of waste produce a week then if I get that I will buy hundreds
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:31 pm

I know someone who had 17. They were feeding 10-15 lbs of corn a day :shock: couldnt figure out why they werent growing any
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:36 pm

Craig Miller wrote:I know someone who had 17. They were feeding 10-15 lbs of corn a day :shock: couldnt figure out why they werent growing any

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Mine have enough food in each pen to last a week they can't grow if you don't keep the feed in front of them and the right feeds. You can't beat a pig that's had milk and bread in its diet.
0 x

shaz
GURU
GURU

Postby shaz » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:27 pm

I raised 6 back in 2013 just to see what it cost. Used some bag feed but a whole lot of donuts and grass clippings. Ended up at 2.38 a pound processed. Really wasn't worth it despite my cheapness.
0 x
Grab the bull by the horns.....then what are you supposed to do?

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”