Divorce questions

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
saltbranch
Rancher
Rancher

Divorce questions

Postby saltbranch » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:11 pm

I am 48, been married 24 years. This last year has been tough on both of us as we dont get along. Everything turns into an argument, now pretty much daily. In my mind, we have hit the point of cutting each other loose. I am tired of this crap and worked to hard for things to lose it in a divorce. We have a business together, which she works at as I still work a time card job. The business we share, the cattle I have, the trailers/trucks are all in my name. I am going to start selling trucks and trailers and paying off bills, until she balks at it.. I suppose I should liquidate the cattle..its only like 20 head in my name. Land is still in my fathers name. For those thats been there done that...any advice? Not interested in counselors and all that, strictly advice towards divorce as I am pretty much done.. I am in Texas for reference and our kids or 20 plus years old. Thx
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Re: Divorce questions

Postby callmefence » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:15 pm

No advice here friend.
But once you get freed up let's go fishing.. ;-)
You can come here and fish on me..
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:19 pm

If you each get legal counsel, in the end, it comes to dividing what is left after the debts are subtracted from assets. It does not matter whose name property is in. They all add up to assets less debts unless there was a prenuptial agreement. Even retirement accounts regardless whose name they are in. The fundamental rule is you subtract debts from assets and then sort out the assets so that each party gets an equal share. If children are involved, then custody and maintenance of the children will need to be decided.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:20 pm

Cattle and farm equipment are community property in Texas
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

GAonmymind
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby GAonmymind » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:28 pm

Been there and done that. No minor age children makes it easier. You have already made the decision and seem to be on the right track in paying off debts. I would start paying off the small stuff especially if it is in my name, however, you can be made to pay off the joint stuff also through the distribution.
Probably will not help now, but trust me it does get easier. I just decided life is too short to be miserable.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:45 pm

If there's any inherited property involved, get a lawyer now.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:09 am

GAonmymind wrote:Been there and done that. No minor age children makes it easier. You have already made the decision and seem to be on the right track in paying off debts. I would start paying off the small stuff especially if it is in my name, however, you can be made to pay off the joint stuff also through the distribution.
Probably will not help now, but trust me it does get easier. I just decided life is too short to be miserable.

Pay the joint stuff first or any thing that he is co-signed on. It's one thing to pay debt with your name on it. It's another to have to pay because you co-signed. Court orders are no good on that. Your name is still on the bebt and at the end of the day no court order can make some one pay. ;-)
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:11 am

If you can agree on how to split the assets and debts without help from a lawyer do it. Lawyers will end up costing you both money by eating up assets. If you have to lawyer up get the best one you can. It seems to lawyers will just keep stirring the pot so they can charge more. If you can agree quickly that is fine but if you have to take some time to figure out what is fair that will work too.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:06 am

Been divorced twice....can only offer advice on the other side, don't rush into another marriage. You say I do,,,she'll make you wish you didn't...that ring seems to transform them to a individual you didn't know existed....
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:53 am

saltbranch wrote:I am 48, been married 24 years. This last year has been tough on both of us as we dont get along. Everything turns into an argument, now pretty much daily. In my mind, we have hit the point of cutting each other loose. I am tired of this crap and worked to hard for things to lose it in a divorce. We have a business together, which she works at as I still work a time card job. The business we share, the cattle I have, the trailers/trucks are all in my name. I am going to start selling trucks and trailers and paying off bills, until she balks at it.. I suppose I should liquidate the cattle..its only like 20 head in my name. Land is still in my fathers name. For those thats been there done that...any advice? Not interested in counselors and all that, strictly advice towards divorce as I am pretty much done.. I am in Texas for reference and our kids or 20 plus years old. Thx

What is the argument about sometimes you need to look objectively at life at times. Is the trucks trailers and cattle actual making any money for you or costing you. There is life after cows and trucks and trailers. Next question have you also found a little action outside of marriage. Just separate for six months and see where you are at that time. There is something called mid live crisis and you are at the age that this occurs. Are you constantly at the fathers place with your cows and helping him sometimes this makes a marriage difficult. Not offering any advice I have seen young people in my area work together to have something and then the big D shows up and they have to buy the farm again. Marriage is a give and take situation and this takes some effort on both parties . Also get your divorce and then marry again get another failing at marriage makes you presidential material.
0 x

Ol' 243
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ol' 243 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:27 am

Sell as much as you can and hide the cash, get a good lawyer, don't put this shyt on the internet.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:55 am

Cheaper to keep her.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:09 am

M-5 wrote:Cheaper to keep her.

I can only imagine the situation to make you comment this....bless her heart...
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:15 am

cowgirl8 wrote:

As usual you don't know shyt.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Ol' 243
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ol' 243 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:27 am

cowgirl8 wrote:

Just think how many times you're hubby has contemplated his options. :lol:
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”