Divorce questions

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Divorce questions

Postby greybeard » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:10 pm

slick4591 wrote:

Anything your dad leaves you in the form of an inheritance stays with you unless you convert it to community property. If you were to sell the inheritance and buy something with the proceeds while you are legally married it turns into community property.

I have a situation where my wife's mom gifted her this house and some acreage. I own separate (also gifted) property at my farm. At one point we looked into selling her place and building on mine. It didn't happen, but had we done that we would be converting each of our separate property into community property.

This /\ is correct (in Texas). I went thru it in 2007 in a roundabout way, and my brother did in his divorce in 2009 in Arkansas.
As long as it stays separate, the spouse can't touch it in a divorce.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:17 pm

greybeard wrote:
slick4591 wrote:

Anything your dad leaves you in the form of an inheritance stays with you unless you convert it to community property. If you were to sell the inheritance and buy something with the proceeds while you are legally married it turns into community property.

I have a situation where my wife's mom gifted her this house and some acreage. I own separate (also gifted) property at my farm. At one point we looked into selling her place and building on mine. It didn't happen, but had we done that we would be converting each of our separate property into community property.

This /\ is correct (in Texas). I went thru it in 2007 in a roundabout way, and my brother did in his divorce in 2009 in Arkansas.

Their marriage was probably doomed because they kept it separate. I know people who do this and they never stay together. Keeping it separate has to be the key to your future divorces, but I bet if its worth a lot you'd be able to get a better lawyer and win, even if its out of spite(which i'm sure happens)...
Honestly I don't understand the separate things...From day one we became one.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:18 pm

My wife and I were at that same point when we were about that same age, or a little older. I know you said you weren't interested in counseling, but it saved us. You might need to try several to find the right one, but it will still be a lot cheaper than divorce. A lot.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:46 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:
M-5 wrote:Maybe you should try Bing. Lol

A google/bing expert would know....some day I hope to know as much as you do googling....lol

Missy I garundamteya I know and done more than you ever thought about without searching , you admited last week you didnt know about a sow or boar coon. Might as well stop while your ahead i dont like to make girls cry but if you keep it up i will. I ingnored your threads like i said i would and you came to this one and started shyt.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:52 pm

Rafter S wrote:My wife and I were at that same point when we were about that same age, or a little older. I know you said you weren't interested in counseling, but it saved us. You might need to try several to find the right one, but it will still be a lot cheaper than divorce. A lot.

Before I was rudely interrupted my "cheaper to keep her" comment is the truth. Anyone that has been married that long has thought or tried to get divorced. I've been there and both are to blame. But it can be worked out because at the beginning she was the one.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:22 pm

M-5 wrote:
cowgirl8 wrote:
M-5 wrote:Maybe you should try Bing. Lol

A google/bing expert would know....some day I hope to know as much as you do googling....lol

Missy I garundamteya I know and done more than you ever thought about without searching , you admited last week you didnt know about a sow or boar coon. Might as well stop while your ahead i dont like to make girls cry but if you keep it up i will. I ingnored your threads like i said i would and you came to this one and started shyt.

But you continue...Must make you feel superior to know everything. At least I admit when I don't know something. And as far as crying, i'll state it again. I've been a cowgirl in a cowboy world for a long time. I'm not expert in divorce nor do I ever plan to be. I'll leave that up to you guys who, have experience in it.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:43 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:
M-5 wrote:Cheaper to keep her.

I can only imagine the situation to make you comment this....bless her heart...

That's a old azz saying. It's not original to dash.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:46 pm

slick4591 wrote:
cowgirl8 wrote:Yes, the land is still your fathers. Get with him and find out what he wants to do with his land. If he dies before he writes out a will, it goes to his kids, thus, making it part of your divorce if that happens afterwards. Do you have kids? My parents divorced when I was 12 and my dad patted himself on the back for leaving with just the shirt on his back. Heard him say this many times. But, what he failed to add was nothing was paid for. The house had another 25 years, the car they had just gotten he left the payments to my mom. I was way too young to understand it at the time, but I get it now, he was a azzh0le..

Firstly, never hire CG8 to represent you!

Commingling assets can sometimes cause problems. True your wife inherited the house but you've been living in it, probably paying for improvements from a joint checking/savings account.....I'm sure from a legal standpoint you would have some interest in it if you decided to challenge the issue as would she in the property you inherited.....paying property taxes from a joint checking etc. All the more reason to have a good attorney and as Joe said, one that will represent both of you if possible.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:52 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
saltbranch wrote:I am 48, been married 24 years. This last year has been tough on both of us as we dont get along. Everything turns into an argument, now pretty much daily. In my mind, we have hit the point of cutting each other loose. I am tired of this crap and worked to hard for things to lose it in a divorce. We have a business together, which she works at as I still work a time card job. The business we share, the cattle I have, the trailers/trucks are all in my name. I am going to start selling trucks and trailers and paying off bills, until she balks at it.. I suppose I should liquidate the cattle..its only like 20 head in my name. Land is still in my fathers name. For those thats been there done that...any advice? Not interested in counselors and all that, strictly advice towards divorce as I am pretty much done.. I am in Texas for reference and our kids or 20 plus years old. Thx

You're in Texas, a community property state. Buy sell or trade all you want......Have of everything acquired while you've been married belongs to her. Land is still your dads..........counselors are only good if both of you are willing to make changes. Hope everything works out for you.

Yes, the land is still your fathers. Get with him and find out what he wants to do with his land. If he dies before he writes out a will, it goes to his kids, thus, making it part of your divorce if that happens afterwards. Do you have kids? My parents divorced when I was 12 and my dad patted himself on the back for leaving with just the shirt on his back. Heard him say this many times. But, what he failed to add was nothing was paid for. The house had another 25 years, the car they had just gotten he left the payments to my mom. I was way too young to understand it at the time, but I get it now, he was a azzh0le..

Well, now we know where you get it.
0 x

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:54 pm

saltbranch wrote:I am 48, been married 24 years. This last year has been tough on both of us as we dont get along. Everything turns into an argument, now pretty much daily. In my mind, we have hit the point of cutting each other loose. I am tired of this crap and worked to hard for things to lose it in a divorce. We have a business together, which she works at as I still work a time card job. The business we share, the cattle I have, the trailers/trucks are all in my name. I am going to start selling trucks and trailers and paying off bills, until she balks at it.. I suppose I should liquidate the cattle..its only like 20 head in my name. Land is still in my fathers name. For those thats been there done that...any advice? Not interested in counselors and all that, strictly advice towards divorce as I am pretty much done.. I am in Texas for reference and our kids or 20 plus years old. Thx

Go to a attorney first.
Take this post off the internet too.
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:01 pm

I have no personal experience with divorce, other than my parents when I was very young. It was amicable.

Anyhow, I'm sorry to hear that it is time to dissolve your marriage. I hope it doesn't get ugly and that the two of you can split, rather uneventfully. It is possible.

Good luck.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:14 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:I have no personal experience with divorce, other than my parents when I was very young. It was amicable.

Anyhow, I'm sorry to hear that it is time to dissolve your marriage. I hope it doesn't get ugly and that the two of you can split, rather uneventfully. It is possible.

Good luck.

I second this....
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:15 pm

[list=][/list]
    cowgirl8 wrote:
    greybeard wrote:
    slick4591 wrote:

Their marriage was probably doomed because they kept it separate. I know people who do this and they never stay together. Keeping it separate has to be the key to your future divorces, but I bet if its worth a lot you'd be able to get a better lawyer and win, even if its out of spite(which i'm sure happens)...
    Honestly I don't understand the separate things...From day one [/list]we became one.
    . So nobody likes him either :) :D
    0 x
    Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”